PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fans

astrob0y_
03-10-2009, 01:20 AM
Hi,

my radiator fans don't seem to turn on.
Could this just be thermostat? It takes like more than 30 min to reach normal temp. After it reaches that fans still don't work.
I tried running the fans through the battery and it works.
Any other ideas?

Thanks

Bludger
03-10-2009, 07:24 PM
behind the engine, just under the intake manifold, there is the fan switch.

unplug the two leads and connect them together, see if the fan runs with the ignition on.

sorry for no pics, cbf.

or could be relays.

blk_shadow
09-10-2009, 05:57 PM
yep, looks like its the relay

DLO01
09-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Is it 30mins while driving? Even if it is or not it would not take 30mins to reach normal temp, so something is not right. Thermostat might be stuck or partly open.
Have a look at this thread:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119783

bennjamin
11-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi,

my radiator fans don't seem to turn on.
Could this just be thermostat? It takes like more than 30 min to reach normal temp. After it reaches that fans still don't work.
I tried running the fans through the battery and it works.
Any other ideas?

Thanks

try this

go for a drive until the car reaches normal temp (just below half on the gauge) - jump on a motorway or speed limited 90/100/110 etc) and drive. If the temp drops the thermostat is seized OPEN and the engine will essentially not reach hot enough for the thermofan switch (located on the side of the thermo housing) to turn ON

Have you shorted the thermoswitch (as described above) to see if teh fans actually work yet ?

flipfire
11-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Same thing happened to me, it was the thermostat.

astrob0y_
18-10-2009, 12:53 PM
try this

go for a drive until the car reaches normal temp (just below half on the gauge) - jump on a motorway or speed limited 90/100/110 etc) and drive. If the temp drops the thermostat is seized OPEN and the engine will essentially not reach hot enough for the thermofan switch (located on the side of the thermo housing) to turn ON

Have you shorted the thermoswitch (as described above) to see if teh fans actually work yet ?

yeah temp sometimes drops when it reaches optimal temp while driving.

i just replaced the thermostat which was the problem.

the rubber thing in it had been torn or missing.

the car warms up way quicker now.

thanks for the help everyone