PDA

View Full Version : tapping noise NOT cv's

paps02
03-10-2009, 02:03 PM
only while driving at +50km my car is making what sounds like a tapping noise. it seems to be coming from the front passenger side. it only makes the sound while car is in motion, regardless of the gear or revs dosnt change anything.

anyone had a problem like this before?

Alpine
03-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Is the tapping in sync with the road speed of the car? Maybe just something like a stone or nail stuck in your front left tyre??

paps02
04-10-2009, 09:38 PM
yer seems to be in sync. thats what i first thought aswell but gave it a check and nothing

cupnoodle
04-10-2009, 11:41 PM
valve adjustment or tappets

aaronng
05-10-2009, 10:29 AM
yer seems to be in sync. thats what i first thought aswell but gave it a check and nothing

Take the tyre off and inspect for any nails, bulges or stones stuck in the tyre. Also check if the dust shield is rubbing against the disc rotor.

paps02
05-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Take the tyre off and inspect for any nails, bulges or stones stuck in the tyre. Also check if the dust shield is rubbing against the disc rotor.

thanks. will check it out.

dont think it could be anything to do with cv's or driveshafts could it?

valve adjustment or tappets

dont mean to be an ass..... but if u read my original post u would be able to figure out it has nothing even closely related to that. please dont post if u dont know.. saves spam for possible future reference to this thread

aaronng
05-10-2009, 01:53 PM

It could be as well. But check the easiest ones first and then move on to the CV joint and driveshaft if the tyre and rotors were not the cause of the problem.

Another easy check you can do while the tyre is off is to check if the CV boot is torn.

paps02
05-10-2009, 09:50 PM
i havnt had a look yet but im thinking its cv.. i just put car on quarter mile and its started pretty much since then!

il triple check though

mr180sx
06-10-2009, 09:13 AM
does it make the noise when you turn George?

Limbo
06-10-2009, 12:06 PM
hmm CVs usually are gradual, and mainly heard when turning. IF your going straight and the CVs make alot of noise its usually from long wear.

I'd check engine mounts as they tend to break during 1/4 mile & make noise whilst driving.
Happened to me before

paps02
06-10-2009, 01:58 PM
will have a check of the mounts, crossing toes and fingers its not the mounts, ha$port not cheap. but theyr more of a clunk when broken. this is a tapping or clapping sound.

and its not clicking when turning, i checked that first!!

EK1.6LCIV
06-10-2009, 02:00 PM
a clicking, hard ticking or a hard tap? soo many noises that can come out of the front, can it be heard with the windows shut?

paps02
06-10-2009, 10:32 PM
definently no rocks in tyre. the rotor and everything around there seems to be in order... cv's i cant really see cracks or leaks. all seems a-okay... i have no idea anymore, time for a mechanic to check it

EK1.6LCIV
07-10-2009, 08:56 AM
does it do it all the time, consistantly, only take it to a mech if it's doing it all the time, like clockwork

paps02
07-10-2009, 02:48 PM
thought i found it but was not to be. my brake line was not bolted up near the rotor so it was kinda waving around. i zip tied it but the noise was still as before!!

ryan its all the time. but only when driving faster than about 50~60km/h.. and to further explain the sound its more of a plasticy tap then metal.. and it gets faster and louder the faster i go

vinnY
07-10-2009, 03:08 PM
wheel arch liner torn? brake dust shield slightly tapping your rotor at given speeds?
could be something totally unrelated like something inside your glove box or door panels which seem to have the same resonate frequency as your car when going 50-60 :p

cupnoodle
07-10-2009, 03:50 PM

dont mean to be an ass..... but if u read my original post u would be able to figure out it has nothing even closely related to that. please dont post if u dont know.. saves spam for possible future reference to this thread

Wow i'm just giving suggestions cause it sounds like an issue that I have. Does it make you feel better to be an ass about it? Good work

paps02
19-10-2009, 01:19 PM
found it!!

one of the balancing weights on my rim had come loose, not overly loose. but loose enough to rattle when driving.. bashed it back in and solved the problem.

Limbo
19-10-2009, 02:00 PM
lol should of thought of that also. a friend once helped me put the nuts on my wheels and did them only hand tight. Took my a while to find out also