PDA

View Full Version : Koni shockand spring combo

noobie90
03-10-2009, 07:56 PM
So I'm planing on doing a suspension upgrade for the EK1 and wanted to get some advise.

I've been looking at Koni shocks for a while and have heard some good stuff about them. I just wanted your opinion on Koni sport(yellow) shocks with Eibach PRO-KIT springs(from JDMYard), and also Koni FSD/Eibach kit(from the Koni site),and Koni sports kit and sports springs kit.

So anyways any advise on these three combos would be nicely appreciated.

Thanks noobie90.

P.S. The price isn't a problem because i will be saving up for it for awhile.

doonbar
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM
ive used koni+eibach pros on my integra, no complaints. Its a comfortable ride and handles very well. even on the hardest setting it wasnt back breaking.

that combo plus some upgraded sway bar(s), strut bars, good tyres and it will be a decent street set up.

finalazy
12-10-2009, 04:42 PM
i had koni+neuspeed race on my ek4, it handled pretty well and wasnt too stiff

im actually selling the rears if youre interested
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117779

Spoon-Accord
12-10-2009, 07:01 PM
should give koni yellows and ground control sleeves ago, they are awesome :) and rated very well with each other.

abit on the pricey side ( cost as much as a complete 1 piece coilover)

but these are good for street and track aswell :)

nd55
14-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Koni do two kits for EK Civics.

SSK kit: Yellow (adjustable on the car) shocks + springs.

RSK kit: Red (not on-car adjustable) + springs.

The commonly recommended settings of 1/4 way firm (front), 1/2 way firm (rear) for the yellow shocks is achievable with the red shocks however your have to dial in more adjustment. This is from looking at the shock dynos, way back when I was doing my research.

I've never actaully seen a koni red EK shock, and thus can't say too much about them.

Koni do not publish spring rate information, but from a faded memory of third hand information they're linear rate on the back and progressive rate on the front.

Again, from memory the spring rates are a gentlemen's definition of firm.

It wouldn't be unusal to want give up a bit of comfort and that's where the Ground Control kits shine. You can get ANY spring rate you want.

Nick.

> P.S. The price isn't a problem because i will be saving up for it for awhile.

You havn't been by a Koni distributor lately have you?

noobie90
15-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the input so far guys/girls.

Koni do two kits for EK Civics.

SSK kit: Yellow (adjustable on the car) shocks + springs.

RSK kit: Red (not on-car adjustable) + springs.

The commonly recommended settings of 1/4 way firm (front), 1/2 way firm (rear) for the yellow shocks is achievable with the red shocks however your have to dial in more adjustment. This is from looking at the shock dynos, way back when I was doing my research.

I've never actaully seen a koni red EK shock, and thus can't say too much about them.

Koni do not publish spring rate information, but from a faded memory of third hand information they're linear rate on the back and progressive rate on the front.

Again, from memory the spring rates are a gentlemen's definition of firm.

It wouldn't be unusal to want give up a bit of comfort and that's where the Ground Control kits shine. You can get ANY spring rate you want.

Nick.

> P.S. The price isn't a problem because i will be saving up for it for awhile.

You havn't been by a Koni distributor lately have you?

I didn't know that there were local Koni distributors. hmm.... Im located in the Western sydney region are there any distributors in or around that area?

nd55
16-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Try the following mob at Penrith.

http://www.wholesalesuspension.com.au/

I'm sure there are others.

Nick.

EK1.6LCIV
16-10-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm still running the yellow kit with spring combo and it has been nothing but great for years, I have mine on the firmest setting, spot on :)

looking back I should've got the fulcrum kit (Tien's made for ADR spec), but at the time they wanted alot more than it is now, (prob sell my koni's in the near future with a fresh rebuild kit on all four if need be)

I only got the koni's as they'll easily out last the car it's on, one buddy of mine has only rebuilt his after a very long time and many visits to Morgan Park, Warwick.

I'm also running:

front and rear strut braces from Spoon
oem EM1 rear sway bar (I have made a DIY for that on what is needed for the EK, cheapest/most effective handling upgrade around :))

I'm only just having to replace worn bushings now after hundreds of thousands of kilometers on a 600-800km driven a week car on highway, cross state road trips, scenic and country roads

Scott.QQ
17-10-2009, 05:14 PM
I also run Koni Yellows with Tein springs. Very nice ride, very firm, and good handling.

I felt it was the best value for me (coming up just under 1k for the entire package) as opposed to 1.5-2k for coilovers.

BluEG
18-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Im running koni yellows on kings s/lows for nearly a year now. Good for comfort and not too harsh. The kings are a bit soft but not too bad for everyday driving.

Also http://www.toperformance.com.au/ in Melbourne are distributors.

blabla
19-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Would the skunk2 coilover kit be any good with the Koni yellows?

EK1.6LCIV
19-10-2009, 11:14 AM
didn't hear a good wrap from the skunk2 coilover kit (sleeves) from a buddy, they're quiet expensive and didn't mate with the koni's too well

if you're after a sleeve kit, there's no looking past the ground control kit with their top hats, you can custom make the rates you'd like, choose colours, etc.

friend of ours was selling up his ground control here, might still be around

egSi
19-10-2009, 07:45 PM
ex Koni user here.

Top street setup for the price :thumbsup:

blackk
22-10-2009, 08:30 PM
is there any koni/GC distributors in Australia?

Scott.QQ
24-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Race Nation do Koni. Not sure about GC though

http://ozhonda.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87