PDA

View Full Version : DC2 - what to look out for when inspecting

duckey
04-10-2009, 02:51 AM

hotdc2
04-10-2009, 03:53 AM
I'd be suss about the respray and front end conversion. could have been in an accident. Be wary that custom paint jobs are a bitch should you ever need to respray a panel. will take the painter much longer to match the colour, sometimes they won't be able to get it 100% which means it will never look the same. You will pay a lot more in labour. I found this out the hard way.. which is why i just went for a full repsray.

duckey
04-10-2009, 04:05 AM
I'd be suss about the respray and front end conversion. could have been in an accident. Be wary that custom paint jobs are a bitch should you ever need to respray a panel. will take the painter much longer to match the colour, sometimes they won't be able to get it 100% which means it will never look the same. You will pay a lot more in labour. I found this out the hard way.. which is why i just went for a full repsray.

Thanks for the reply.

You'd probably need a mechanic's eye and knowledge to figure if its been in an accident huh? :( I guess I'll do a REV's check before I go inspect.

I want to wait till my mechanic is available but I'm just scared that the car will be sold by then.

Gosh car shopping is stressful!

WATAJK
04-10-2009, 08:19 AM
If you like the car mate and everything comes clean go for it.
Get it RACV tested and ur mechanic to check it out you won't go wrong.
As the person said above it's the paint job wize, plus likely on how old the car is you can expect it to have had at least one accident in its time..

MWAKU
04-10-2009, 09:25 AM
just call nrma or the state car inspector or whatever for like 100$+ or something.

duckey
04-10-2009, 01:24 PM
thanks for the replies.

he said the car was apparently stolen and recovered. i did a REVS check and this is what it comes up with.
"* ENCUMBRANCE/WARNING DETAILS *
The vehicle indentifiers you have supplied indicate that the vehicle has
been recorded as a Repairable Write-Off. The vehicle may have been repaired,
inspected and re-registered.
Before you buy the vehicle, contact the manufacturer to check if the
the manufacturer's warranty is still valid.
There is no financial interest
VEHICLE DETAILS MATCHED WITH RTA"

do stolen/recovered vehicles get listed as "repairable write-offs"?

Toilet
04-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Sounds nasty, if it was me, I'd steer away from this one..
Maybe it was stolen? Possibly also written off?
Both? Who knows. If you are looking for piece of mind..you'll have to be patient and get your mate to have a look at it later on.

MWAKU
04-10-2009, 04:00 PM
stay away from it. sounds like danger danger dangerrrrrrrrrrr got a link???

NSPYRE
04-10-2009, 04:28 PM
yea, dont go for it.

come on, 135,000km, face-lifted and completely resprayed for $7,700. something doesnt sound right

dinorider
04-10-2009, 08:45 PM
yea, dont go for it.

come on, 135,000km, face-lifted and completely resprayed for $7,700. something doesnt sound right

Agreed.

Regularly used 1996 cars should have around 180,000 - 200,000 kms on the clock now. Deviate far from this figure and I get suspicious

1996 DC2 was pre facelift, so the 'facelift' could have easily been accident repair parts, since it's now established that it's a repairable write-off.

$7,700 with so many extras including a genuine Mugen front lip? Too low to be true.

Stay away unless absolutely 100% mechanically checked and certain.

The temptation is there to just buy it since it's there and something better might not come along. Don't! I did once, and screwed myself big time!

hotdc2
05-10-2009, 02:09 AM
seems too good to be true man.

be very careful

shebangs
05-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Change all ears at a wide range of revs and make sure the gears flick in without a problem.

When the box is on it's way out (still could have 100KM+ in it though) it starts to get nothcy.

dinorider
06-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Change all ears at a wide range of revs and make sure the gears flick in without a problem.

When the box is on it's way out (still could have 100KM+ in it though) it starts to get nothcy.

Also, 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th synchros on the gearboxes tend to give up first. It's a common problem on DC2 and DC2R transmissions.

Once it happens you either change the gearbox or double declutch to get around it.