PDA

View Full Version : Riding In The Wind

EuroAccord13
05-10-2009, 01:49 PM
This will probably be a good topic for beginners like me and those out there.. For the experienced riders, how do you manage the wind? I was riding over a flyover yesterday and there was this strong gust of wind and my bike wobbled in the wind. My bike weighs just over 250kgs and I could feel that wobble and I wondered if I should slow down, maintain speed and lean against it or sit into a lower position etc. What I did was maintain speed and counter the wind...

Any advice will be helpful... :)

Rkds
05-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I think as a rider you should always feel safe so at the time and not knowing what to do I would have stopped and slowly accelerated towards the wind at a comfortable speed,

Im going to see my cousin today he has been riding for a few years I will ask him and get back to you :)

Twincam16
06-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Damn on a 250kg bike that must have been some strong wind

I usually just go a little faster, or drop the head and straighten up counter arm

EuroAccord13
06-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Damn on a 250kg bike that must have been some strong wind

I usually just go a little faster, or drop the head and straighten up counter arm

What I experienced wasn't a head wind but wind that came from the left side of me while I was on the flyover, how best to ride safely across? Do I lean a bit towards the left a bit to counteract the effects? Even if I drop my head, my surface area on the side would still be the same year?

Thanks for your advice :)

dynasty
07-10-2009, 10:37 AM
um in strong wind, if im riding against it, i just lean down to the point where the bottom of the helmet is almost touching the tank, this way, the wind screen will divert all the wing over your body and yo wont feel most of it, alternatively, just get a double bubble wind screen, helps also.

In terms of side wind, slowing down a little bit would help but wont be good if you are on a hwy and have cars flying past, just need to be alert and get ready, i know it sounds generic but thats they only way to encounter strong wind. consistent counter steer will definately help.
Just know that no wind will blow u over unless ur stationary, its kinda like turning, if u turn a corner too slow, u have less control over the stability of the bike, same thing with wind. good luck!

EuroAccord13
07-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the tips!

Only problem is I will never be able to get my head anywhere near the fuel tank as it's a cruiser eheheheheh...

Zilli
07-10-2009, 02:57 PM
^ Hey mate, i know what you mean, the issue with a cruiser is you are like a parachute, and upright, leaving your body, and the bike more succeptible to the effects of wind...

The first time ths happened to me was when i was riding over the Gladesville Bridge, and it scared the life out of me...

The important thing is to stay relaxed in the arms, and lean into it if it is very strong... once you have experienced it a couple of times you will know instinctively what to do...

Essentially you need to lean in just far enough to counter the push of the wind... sometimes you MAY need to slightly countersteer... what you must be mindful of is that once that gust is gone, your are open to the attitude you have created on the bike as a result of the compensation, so just go easy...

EuroAccord13
12-10-2009, 03:00 PM
I took the bike to the freeway for a 100km/h ride... Geeez, with the strong wind pushing against my head, I had a sore neck after!

c0LL1n
12-10-2009, 05:34 PM
I wouldnt say that im an experienced rider because i havent been riding as long as some others, but i mainly do a lot of hwy km's so i know what its like riding in windy situations!!

I would just say, get out there and try and experience it more, cause then you will be able to adapt to different situations when you ride.

What i usually do when i get strong sidewinds is to slow down a little bit and try and centre my weight and keep it low as possible. Watch out for those b-double trucks, they are the worst when they come up fast next to you because you feel sucked into its lane.. :S

panda[cRx]
19-10-2009, 04:29 PM
lol i remember the first time i was sandwiched by b-doubles while on my nsr250 on the monash...not fun

vil13
24-10-2009, 03:40 PM
from my experience, some things i do include:
1. concentrate alot more n be prepared to use ur body to fight against the gusts.
2. keep both knees firmly against either side of the tank to manage stability.
3. duck down, as mentioned earlier to minimise head wind resistance
4. if winds are TOO STRONG, dont ride.

ps: going FASTER in strong winds may be risky especially in turns/bends as it can cause sudden understeering

DLO01
24-10-2009, 07:23 PM
I just counter steer in to the wind.

Kuroko
03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Cruisers are fun in the wind --_--;

I try to stay center of the lane incase the wind either dies suddenly or picks up for a burst and just lean a little into it, I also prefer to keep it down a gear as gusts will normally affect me more than a sports (fenders aren't so nice for side winds though :P).

Uhh, there are some advantages to a cruiser in wind though, lower center of gravity means your chances of getting blown into another lane are a LOT lower.

ROCKET
05-11-2009, 02:38 AM
ye the wind can come from different directions and the more you ride and feel the different winds the more you get use to it and learn what to do next time.
But the thing that has worked for me when i get strong sidewinds is to slow down until you feel u r back in your comfort zone, coz usually the faster you go when its windy the more you are out of your comfort zone and then I try and centre my weight and keep it low as possible

rayb3na_
18-11-2009, 11:08 PM
lean the bike towards the wind. thats what i do takes a little bit of getting used to but the more relaxed you are ive found the more your body senses the wind etc and what to do.

rpm boy
24-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Not that i have riden in strong winds but i would have thought by using more rpm the gyroscope effect would help alot and also reducing the surface area at which the wind can hit would be the other tip (lean a close to your bike as possible )
but im no pro so...

RoNi_SiZe
26-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Just look where you're goin' as always & don't freak out. U'll lean naturally when you need to correct urself when u get knocked around with random gusts of strong wind.
Leaning down as far as possible will also help.

Simple advice, but always have it in mind.

Same goes for corners, pot holes, animals, whatever. Keep you eyes on the prize & don't freak out + def do NOT go nuts on your brakes whilst leaning.

Stay safe out there.