PDA

View Full Version : Just a simple conversion

Hondah
05-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Hey guys,

I recently bought a pretty clean 91' ED GL Hatchback for $500 off my aunty.
I've never been a fan of the body shape etc but after driving it around for a bit and mucking around with photoshop I am now in love hahaha :D

a little bit about the car, its basic 5 speed with a D15 motor few rips in the seats, paints a little sketchy.. not to sure what the colour is but its some sort of aqua :confused: which wouldn't look to bad re-done with a small bit of pearl :D standard of course and it has 127,000kms on the clock.

Now down to business, I really want to tinker with this car and make it a zippy little daily with track ability. I don't have anywhere near enough for B conversion or the likes but what about another D motor? I'm not looking for heaps of power, just something with a little more go than the D15.

So just say something like a D16y1/8 :S (not to sure lol) with basics like i/h/e and some good suspension mods?? Being a 900Kg car, I take with these mods there'd be plenty of fun to be had :p

Just after opinions good or bad so fire away. Also how much could a D16 motor be had for?

Thanks for your help guys :)

riruiz_88
05-10-2009, 03:12 PM
i say start with suspension and brake mods. it can be a fun car, taking corners much faster than stock. also when you do have the dosh for a engine conversion, you will have already done the most important thing, brakes.

if not, just keep saving until you have the money.

Hondah
05-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks for that man, I do have a bit to shell out for suspension mods already since the car was 2k cheaper then I thought haha.. I'm keen on getting some good second hand coilovers etc etc.. I wouldn't mind doing a whole break upgrade either :)

riruiz_88
05-10-2009, 03:27 PM
personally i reckon coilovers are just too expensive and unnecessary for daily driving. but if you know you will track it a couple of times a month then go for it.
i would be looking at :rear disc brake conversion (if not done already), better brake pads, rear sway bar, bushes, rotors, etc..

Hondah
05-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Ah ok, well yea I defintley plan on visiting the track a bit so coilovers for me heh

Oh for anyone wondering it's this colour http://www.honda-tech.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8544&stc=1&d=1230847544

kcokla
05-10-2009, 06:01 PM
very cool color
cant say ive seen it before!

i say, if u cant afford b,
g et with the suspension mods,
coils +strut/sway bars,
as a daily i assume, u wont be able to drive excessively fast anyway, but hitting a 90 degree corner in 2nd gear and powering on as hard as u can is very fun!

jords
05-10-2009, 06:05 PM
save your $$$ and do a B18 conversion. Do it right the first time imo.

Hondah
05-10-2009, 06:42 PM
@ jords - I'd love a B18, dear jesus that'd be an awesome combo. But I don't think I'll have that money for a long time. I'm not after mass amounts of power I mean even if I can get like 75Kw - 80Kw + ATW out of a D16 motor I'd be over the moon haha.. Which to me and my amount of dosh would be "doing it right the first time" imo :)

Thanks for the advice though haha, maybe for another project down the track :)

~Sp33~
06-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Not to freak you out or anything, but the car isn't on cav road is it?

There's a teal ED there that i pass almost every day on the way to uni.

tseesinngwailo
06-10-2009, 02:21 AM
If you look at the thread by JDMB16A he has done a most awesome job, ED hatch with a D16Y8 single cam VTEC, easy enough to do in some ways, but expect the car to be off the road a little while to do the conversion.

Front and rear disc from a DA Integra will upgrade the brakes for most of what you need

The fuel tank will need to be modified or replaced for an injected engine, again, not easy, but me and Peter have done this with good factory like results.

Take your time and research, you will save a lot of time and money, any questions, just post, and theres plenty of people here who can help.

oh, and wiring it all up will be a right proper biatch,,

post some pics, and good luck :)

Tseesinngwailo

Hondah
06-10-2009, 03:53 PM
@ ~Sp33~ - Umm I don't think that's it haha

@tseesinngwailo - I'm trying to read over his build now, but god being capped makes it a pain in the ass lol.. I'll try and get some pictures posted up soon, the car is at my Nan's until I can make space at my place

dougie_504
06-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Hey man, gratz on the buy!

I have an EH VTi with the D16Y1 (SOHC VTEC 96KW @ 6600rpm) and an EF8 CRX with the B16A (DOHC VTEC 118KW @ 7800rpm).

So from my experience I'd say that you should save and go B18C7 or B18CR if you want a B-series conversion. Basically if you're going to do a B-series you may as well got B18C for another couple of thousand $, since you'll pay similar amounts in labour and you may as well make it worthwhile.

Otherwise if you want afford a B-series I honestly say go D16A8 DOHC non-VTEC. It's very cheap (can be done much cheaper than D16Y1) and makes 96KW like the D16Y1 but if you're going to do I/H/E you'll get bugger all out of a SOHC engine, VTEC or not, and much better gains in the DOHC.
If you want power out of a SOHC VTEC engine you basically need to go turbo or do serious internal work = $$$$ = should have done B-series swap.

So yeah, from a dude with a D16Y1 and a B16A I suggest going for the D16A8. They're very available since you can get them from the ED9 or EF7 CRXs or the Civic Si which are very common. It doesn't matter if you don't end up with VTEC, you'll love the mid-range power of the DOHC non-VTEC and I/H/E makes them pull very, very well :)

Good luck :D

Hondah
07-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the insight dougie_504 :D .. I've never really had a look/considered the D16A8 has anyone else got opinions on this motor compared to other D's..

Cheers :)

dougie_504
07-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Basically it's a very tough DOHC engine, very popular. If I could have a D16A8 in my EH instead of the D16Y1 then I'd surely take it just because it has way more potential for N/A mods

Spoon-Accord
07-10-2009, 12:59 AM
:) i agree with the person above me :)

dougie_504
07-10-2009, 02:50 AM
:) i agree with the person above me :)

Yeah bro I think of your ZC whenever I pass on this advice. It pulls way harder than my stupid D16Y1 <lol>

hussLEr
07-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble..(really am)..but if you don't go B swap (or better)..I don't think it's really worthwhile at all to do any conversion. It'll end up costing more than it's worth, both in time and money terms.

Do what others have suggested ---> suspension.

Plus my suggestion which is GOOD tires. eg. RE001, T1R etc

My advice; just drive and enjoy what the motor has to offer (or not?!) with the suspension, tires and possible weight reduction?!..That'd be enough to get you into trouble!

I've seen what a D15 can (and can't) do and I've owned an Si EG..personal thoughts?..umm, both nuggets..

hisoka
07-10-2009, 08:13 AM
find a b18b from a integra gsi. much cheaper for you and will be pretty fun in your car

SlobberGoat
07-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Don't change a thing.
Just service it & get more "seat time" in the car.

Hondah
08-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Sorry I'm dead tired and mind blank haha, what do you mean more seat time? :)

hisoka
08-10-2009, 05:30 AM
time that your ass is in the seat