PDA

View Full Version : Honda Torneo - Advice on HID bulb replacement

Daniel Lim
05-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Hellow everyone,

I need to change the HID globe for my 97/98 Honda Torneo. A little history with my car; This model was not manufactured locally. It was transported all the way from Japan, to NZ before making it to Melbourne. I bought it as a 2nd hand car from my friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Torneo

The dilemma I am having now is where can I find cheap HID globe lamp? I called in HONDA Service Centre and REPCO for the cost of one globe lamp and was told it cost about AUD400 (I better be off installing multiple torchlight on my car!!!). While I know the cost of HID globe is not cheap, I am worried about being ripped off.

Can anyone advise what can I do and where can I get a suitable and cheap globe for my Torneo? I actually considered replacing the whole lamp unit with the unit similar other local HONDA, but I was told by my mechanic that the lamp unit is original from factory and has not been modified, so replacing whole unit (two) can cost me a fortune. Can someone please confirm this as well?

Cheers,
Daniel.

aaronng
05-10-2009, 03:48 PM
What is your original bulb size printed on the HID bulb? Is it D2S or D2R? You can buy the replacement bulb from a car parts shop.

Moving to the Accord section as that is closest to the Torneo. You should rename your thread so that it is clear that you need advice on HID bulb replacement.

Daniel Lim
05-10-2009, 04:05 PM
This will then raise another query. I have to admit I am a novice with car. Can I determine the size by with naked eye? Or I need to remove the unit to check the bulb?

aaronng
05-10-2009, 04:25 PM
This will then raise another query. I have to admit I am a novice with car. Can I determine the size by with naked eye? Or I need to remove the unit to check the bulb?

If you remove the bulb, the size should be printed somewhere on the base of the bulb. If it says D2S or D2R, then you can find those bulbs at many shops or even online.

RiceMeister
05-10-2009, 07:17 PM
man...you got a torneo!!

have you got pics of your car? i was wanting a torneo euro-r for my first car...but impossible to get in AUS.

good luck with your hid parts!

zillacles
06-10-2009, 12:09 AM
OT but awesome car!

Any chance you can post some pics and the like? Info is hard to come by

j.meng87
06-10-2009, 05:44 PM
If its a reflector headlight than its a D2R bulb. Another way to inspect without taking the bulb out is that D2R have a small black/grey shield on the bulb itself to reduce glare. If you look at the bulb thru the headlight you will understand what i mean. As for places to get a replacement i got one from ebay USA approx $130-140 for a pair shipped. Also not that some place sells what is know as a D2C which is a universal fit for both D2R and D2S and that this does not have the black/grey shield like the oem D2R

Daniel Lim
25-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks a lot! It helped me a lot!

Cheers,
Dan.

CD6_Accord_SiR
25-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Is your CL1 Torneo a Euro-R or a CF4 SiR with blue rocker cover?

Haha, another guy who shipped their car from NZ! I shipped my CD3 & CD6 SiR over too. Hope you didn't end up paying lots of $$$ for import tax!