PDA

View Full Version : brake rotor is loose

NVD52K
06-10-2009, 09:59 AM
hey guys, the other day i tightened my brake rotor with the screws it was doing fine although now when i reverse or brake it makes a clunky noise its not loose now but it moves forwards and backwards is there a way to stop it from coming loose?

e240
06-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Interesting - technically when you bolt your wheels on, it should hold the rotor in place anyway. Are your wheel bolted on properly?

NVD52K
06-10-2009, 10:48 AM
yeah they are although theres like these two screws that hold the brake rotor in place maybe it could be the wheel ring im not to sure although i know the screws keep coming loose

bennjamin
06-10-2009, 10:49 AM
as above - if the rotor was loose , it would be 100% held with the wheel as its tightened to the hub , sandwhiching the rotor inbetween.

Check your lug nuts , also check that your caliper is held and tight too

aaronng
06-10-2009, 11:07 AM
How tight did you do up the rotor screws? Would help if you use a little bit of loctite on the screw so that it doesn't undo itself.

Is the rotor rotating slightly independently from the wheel? Or is the whole thing moving forwards and backwards as if you had worn suspension bushes?

NVD52K
06-10-2009, 03:51 PM
i tried tightening the bolts, tightening the screw on the rotor although it keeps coming back when i slow down it makes this screechy noise although i have alot of meat left and this is even when it heats up, and when i go to slow down instantly it sounds like the rotor makes a clunk and a piece of metal scrapes againts my brake pad as im slowing down.

the rotor moves independently just slightly forward and backwards

aaronng
06-10-2009, 04:03 PM
i tried tightening the bolts, tightening the screw on the rotor although it keeps coming back when i slow down it makes this screechy noise although i have alot of meat left and this is even when it heats up, and when i go to slow down instantly it sounds like the rotor makes a clunk and a piece of metal scrapes againts my brake pad as im slowing down.

the rotor moves independently just slightly forward and backwards

That's odd because the screw on the rotor should prevent any rotational movement of the rotor. Could you check if the center bore of the rotor perfectly matches up in size with the centre hub of your S2k?

e240
06-10-2009, 05:20 PM
If you can move the rotor with the wheels bolted on, you're not tightening the wheel nuts enough.

ludecrs
06-10-2009, 08:31 PM
With the wheels on or off, the rotor still shouldn't move either way.

I know I broke one of the screws that holds the rotors on and had to buy a new one for safety piece of mind. Perhaps 2 of yours have sheared away and snapped?

e240
06-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Actually, what happened? Did you remove the hub/Brake caliper? What were you actually doing? Understand the circumstances around you tightening the screw on the Rotor that might help to piece the story together.

NVD52K
06-10-2009, 10:43 PM
hey guys i tightened my brake rotor i think i need some lock tite it comes loose quite often

aaronng
07-10-2009, 12:19 AM
hey guys i tightened my brake rotor i think i need some lock tite it comes loose quite often

So was the locking screw loose?

quenjose
07-10-2009, 11:57 AM
shot wheel bearing possibly?

Jack the car up, and try to jerk the wheel back n forth... if there is play, get your wheel bearings checked out.

NVD52K
08-10-2009, 10:26 PM
ok problem has come again
only when i hit big bumps . the screws start to come loose im not to sure if its the wheel bearings or whatever but i have taken photos of the screws and the holes i was wandering if anyone knows the length of the bolts that i have taken photos of just incase if there longer i might have to get new ones

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/james_p33/IMG_0570.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/james_p33/IMG_0573.jpg

aaronng
08-10-2009, 10:36 PM
That's the right length. How are you tightening it? You can't get enough torque with a normal screwdriver. I do them up with a hand impact driver or a battery-powered driver. Make sure you use some loctite.

NVD52K
08-10-2009, 11:38 PM
what loctite should i use? ill have to get some tomorrow man also ive tried tightening them up with the impact driver but it seems to come loose so easily

aaronng
09-10-2009, 06:26 AM
what loctite should i use? ill have to get some tomorrow man also ive tried tightening them up with the impact driver but it seems to come loose so easily

Could be that the threads are slightly worn that even if you do them up tight they come loose easily. I'd use loctite blue or green, which is the light or medium strength threadlocker.

Age_S2000
09-10-2009, 08:53 PM
bro goto a mechanic n get them to back off ur hub nuts lock tight them then tighten the shit outa them with a rattle gun.... happen to mine and it happens to alot of IRS or front wheel drive cars.

aaronng
09-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Yeah, good idea to retighten the hub nut as well.