PDA

View Full Version : coilovers stuck in customs

ig3o
06-10-2009, 12:32 PM
i recent purchased coilovers.. it came in to aus customs about a week ago.. a letter was sent to me saying that i had to pay tax.. i was just wondering how much tax do i have to pay if i payed 1350AUD for them..

e240
06-10-2009, 12:35 PM
You pay GST on them - 10%

kccord
06-10-2009, 12:45 PM
You pay GST on them - 10%

Not quite!

It's 10% + Custom duty.

I payed 17% for shits coming from US once and never declare values again.

kitbkk
06-10-2009, 01:15 PM
10% + custom duty.
I think the duty for car parts around 1.3 grand is around AUD$300.
That's what I paid for my header.

e240
06-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Really? Customs Duty? When I buy stuff from o/s, its usually only GST for items above $1000 - but then again, thats quite a long time ago..

Oh well - so much for free trade agreements..LOL.

kitbkk
06-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Yeah that must have been long time ago.
Now anything under $1000 you only need to pay 10% GST.
Anything over $1000 you pay duty as well.
My brother brought a second hand Spoon header on the plane for his car, even it looks very old and dirty etc, at the airport he had to pay gst for it.

geekface
07-10-2009, 12:52 AM
oh what they changed the rule? used to be no tax under 1000. was hoping to import some konis when the dollar goes up

chrome
07-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Same deal happened to me when my HFP suspension arrived from Canada. It was split into two boxes as Australia Post could not handle a single oversized box. Declared value was Cd$1000 per box for insurance purposes, but actual invoice was only Cd$700 for both (Cd$350 per box).

Customs sent me two letters asking for duties payable. I sent them an email and a copy of the Honda invoice proving the total purchase was <AU$1K. Boxes were released immediately and arrived at my doorstep 2 days later, no duties, no GST.

tmy
07-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Hmm, how does the 10&#37; system work? I just recieved coilovers a month ago, paid over $1000 and didn't pay any tax on it at customs.

chrome
07-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Here's the customs guidelines, from their website:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

It is quite detailed, and worth a read if you regularly bring in goods from overseas.

ig3o
07-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Hmm, how does the 10% system work? I just recieved coilovers a month ago, paid over $1000 and didn't pay any tax on it at customs.

how much over 1k did u pay for them?

Accord Basic
07-10-2009, 08:07 PM
as you said is a gift. that will have some dollars off from the total. you need to pay the tax and fees >AUD 1000.

Rudy
08-10-2009, 08:22 AM
I dont see on the site where it says if its less than 1k you get taxed? Looks like its still the same .. only over 1k?

jdm_b16a
08-10-2009, 08:52 AM
My general feeling is that it is 'hit & miss'. You can be luck/unlucky, depending on who looks at it, where and on what day! I've bought car parts from NZ in two shipments, totalled over 1K but less than that when separated, and wasn't hit with any customs, etc. Toyota NZ suggested sending in two boxes so they must know something. Also bought electronic gear from the US and again no customs. All in the last two years.

Peter

tmy
09-10-2009, 08:04 AM
how much over 1k did u pay for them?

Paid $1200 US. I may of been lucky :thumbsup:

racerwannabe
09-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Does anyone know if that includes shipping cost as well?

Crapdaz
09-10-2009, 03:17 PM
see below post for custom tax calculations:

tax is inclusive of shipping cost, product price and customs charges.

Crapdaz
09-10-2009, 03:24 PM
i recent purchased coilovers.. it came in to aus customs about a week ago.. a letter was sent to me saying that i had to pay tax.. i was just wondering how much tax do i have to pay if i payed 1350AUD for them..

assuming your scenario,

----------------------------------------

Total Customs Value = $1350

Total Duty Payable (10&#37; of customs value) = $135

Total GST Payable (10% of Total of Customs Value + Duty Payable + Shipping/Insurance Cost) = 10% x ($1350 + $135 + $300) = $178.50

Declaration Processing Charge (Fixed amount charged) = $48.85

Total Payable = Duty Payable + GST Payable + Declaration Processing Charge = $362.35

in addition to your $1350 and $300 shipping (assumption).

Total you will spend would be $2012.35.

NOTE: Please note this is rough a estimation and due to economic changes or commercial amendments in costs or process and customs charge rate, will not be held against my calculation.
Only for insight on the costs you will be required to pay.

-----------------------------------
ASSUMPTION: Shipping costs $300.
-----------------------------------

Hope this helps. :p

Reference from my original post: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96978&highlight=import+tax

racerwannabe
09-10-2009, 04:09 PM
lol based on your calcs Dazza, it would have been cheaper to purchase a set of coilovers here..

Crapdaz
09-10-2009, 04:30 PM
lol based on your calcs Dazza, it would have been cheaper to purchase a set of coilovers here..
with the cost of coilovers now might have been...
but when i bought my monoflex when they first came out, it was cheaper when i did it.

The calcs is based on original posters price; not sure what he paid for shipping though.

ig3o
09-10-2009, 05:11 PM
does the cost increase over time if i leave the item at customs?

japcollector
09-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Sucks dude i imported my skunks coilovers over here around the 1k mark and didn't even get tax. The box also had tapes around saying "Opened by UPS for quarantine examination" so that probably help somewhat lol

ig3o
09-10-2009, 05:18 PM
1350aud shipping inc.. so im guessing i hav to pay around 300bux worth of tax =(

destrukshn
09-10-2009, 05:21 PM
i've ordered PLENTY of things in the past 2 weeks, and never have i hit by tax or anything.

Crapdaz
09-10-2009, 07:47 PM
1350aud shipping inc.. so im guessing i hav to pay around 300bux worth of tax =(
Your invoice should have had the shipping cost included.
So whatever the seller tells you he put on the invoice e.g if he said he wrote down $1000 + $200shipping then it goes by that.

I cna't tell you what it is because customs calculates from whatever is stuck on the box.

i've ordered PLENTY of things in the past 2 weeks, and never have i hit by tax or anything.

Most guys normally get the seller to write the product <= $1000 so we don't get hit by the customs tax.

Must be lucky eiy....

Sucks dude i imported my skunks coilovers over here around the 1k mark and didn't even get tax. The box also had tapes around saying "Opened by UPS for quarantine examination" so that probably help somewhat lol

because if your product is > $1000 you get hit by the customs tax...

The X Man
09-10-2009, 11:23 PM
I do brokerage at work and can confirm if the $$$ value exceeds AUD$1000.00 it will need to be formally cleared through customs. With this you will have GST, Duty (if applicable) and Clearance Fees (to process the clearance).

Delivery to your door would already of been paid for by the shipper so add your 10&#37; GST, 5% Duty (if applicable, 3% if their is a tarriff concession) plus clearance costs (about $50.00) and the goods will be forwarded to you.

If you don't pay these fees then you maybe charged for demurrage, that is storage costs which usually begin 96hrs after your notification has been sent and are charged in 24hr increments.

Unfortunatley it seems you didn't research enough on importing goods! Lesson to be learnt here.

ig3o
17-10-2009, 02:37 AM
problem solved.. i declared the coilovers to be $800USD and told them that the shipping was $300USD.. the coilovers were sent to me today.. paid no tax =)

The X Man
17-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Great stuff. Now all you need is for someone from Customs to do an audit or for them to read this thread and your US800 coilovers will cost you an enormous fine you will never be able to pay off.

Rudy
17-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Great stuff. Now all you need is for someone from Customs to do an audit or for them to read this thread and your US800 coilovers will cost you an enormous fine you will never be able to pay off.

The total price of his coilovers (exc shipping) comes to less than AUD 1000. Why would he be fined?

Lil Dan
17-10-2009, 03:36 PM
for intentionally defrauding the Commonwealth.

The X Man
17-10-2009, 07:48 PM
The total price of his coilovers (exc shipping) comes to less than AUD 1000. Why would he be fined?

No offence but i don't think you can read. In the OPs first post he states "i payed 1350AUD for them". In the end he declared that he paid AUD800.00 instead of the correct amount of AUD1350.00. This defrauds the Commonwealth of duty and GST and such false declarations come with huge fines.

To the OP, i would strongly suggest you have a mod remove this thread pronto before it gets into the wrong hands.

Rudy
17-10-2009, 08:25 PM
No offence but i don't think you can read. In the OPs first post he states "i payed 1350AUD for them". In the end he declared that he paid AUD800.00 instead of the correct amount of AUD1350.00. This defrauds the Commonwealth of duty and GST and such false declarations come with huge fines.

To the OP, i would strongly suggest you have a mod remove this thread pronto before it gets into the wrong hands.

No what I mean is the actual value of the coilovers themselves are less than 1000AUD. He paid 1350 AUD including shipping. Shipping counts towards the items value?

[ IV 23 VI ]
17-10-2009, 09:13 PM

haha I dont think you can either mate, as I thought the OP said he now told customs that he paid US800 not AUD800.

Seems like u might dob him in by the sound of it.. lol

cbol55
17-10-2009, 09:46 PM
seems that you may be the one with difficulty with english comprehension mate...the fact is that the op in plain english said 2 things acknowledging a lie to customs to avoid duty...he was helpfully and wisely advised that this shouldnt be on a public forum as it might attract unwanted attention ..your usd vs aud statement was noted/mentioned/ acknowledged/ repeated but anybody can see that would carry no weight based on the initial lie.
lots of people do stuff like that but u cant say that stuff on a public forum and be absolutely sure that nothing will come of it. and why accuse the person trying to be helpful that he will "dob"? just childish stuff

The X Man
17-10-2009, 11:01 PM
;2515620']haha I dont think you can either mate, as I thought the OP said he now told customs that he paid US800 not AUD800.
Seems like u might dob him in by the sound of it.. lol

LOL - with the US Dollar at present there isn't much difference between USD800 & AUD$800

Nope, the OP has already dobbed himself in displaying publically what he has done to evade paying GST and duty.

The X Man
17-10-2009, 11:11 PM
No what I mean is the actual value of the coilovers themselves are less than 1000AUD. He paid 1350 AUD including shipping. Shipping counts towards the items value?

Shipping doesn't count towards the value assessed but if the Commercial Invoice states a figure that Customs wish a N10 clearance to be done then it's obvious to me what the goods cost and subsequently the shipping charges have nothing to do with it. In all the years i have been involved with the importation of goods i have never seen a Commercial Invoice declare just the one combined amount, the product and shipping are always listed seperatley.

If the goods were clearly illustrated as costing less then AUD$1000.00 we wouldn't be reading this thread right now.

Whats more a worry is first the OP states he paid AUD1350.00 but then told customs he paid a total of USD1100.00 = AUD1192.00. What happened to the other AUD$158.00 i wonder?

ig3o
18-10-2009, 02:39 AM

it totalled to $1100USD was wat i paid all up for them including shipping. at that time the AUD was sumwhere around 0.80 to 0.85 meaning it would of been sumthing like 1350..

i dont see what im doing wrong.. i did pay 800USD for them and the shipping was 300USD.. a letter was sent to me giving me instuctions on what to do.. i followed the instructions and sent the letter to them.. couple days later the coilovers arrive at my door.. if their is a predicament, the mistake must of been made by customs.. cause i dont believe i had any intentions of making a false declaration..

cbol55
18-10-2009, 09:28 PM
;2515866']aaronng edit: removed rude stuff

if you want to slang off at people thats ok if you are right..but if you are wrong dont be surprised when something is said...nothing to do with "biatch" or any other terms u think are cool....when you're wrong you're wrong

as for op you could be safe but u did say that u changed the numbers...do whatever you like...as i said you're definitely not alone there I would think...but just be bit careful what you "publish " just in case...its only concern for you that anybody is saying anything...cant u delete the problem posts u made? if u you can it might be for the best

[ IV 23 VI ]
19-10-2009, 07:38 AM
geez stop being such a cry baby.. get over it man.

longers
19-10-2009, 10:13 AM
I do brokerage at work and can confirm if the $$$ value exceeds AUD$1000.00 it will need to be formally cleared through customs. With this you will have GST, Duty (if applicable) and Clearance Fees (to process the clearance).

Delivery to your door would already of been paid for by the shipper so add your 10% GST, 5% Duty (if applicable, 3% if their is a tarriff concession) plus clearance costs (about $50.00) and the goods will be forwarded to you.

If you don't pay these fees then you maybe charged for demurrage, that is storage costs which usually begin 96hrs after your notification has been sent and are charged in 24hr increments.

Unfortunatley it seems you didn't research enough on importing goods! Lesson to be learnt here.

LISTEN to this guy. I hard to learn it the hard way when I imported my kit. Know what you're getting into, the hidden costs may not make your purchase that cheap anymore!

sretocz
19-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Why not just tell the seller to declare the items as a gift and worth only like 400 bucks? Simple.

defect
19-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Why not just tell the seller to declare the items as a gift and worth only like 400 bucks? Simple.

x2, most jap stores do that anyways.
I bought 2.5k coilovers and they packed it into 2 packages
1 with 3 coilovers
1 with a single coilover.

they only declared it to be $950 including shipping, only shit thing is if it doesnt come thru, you'll be spewing because thats all you claimed..