PDA

View Full Version : Megan Headers + Aus Throttle Body

RoryAlexander
06-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey Guys,

Bang for buck, these 4-1 megan headers can make it to my door for around $300 for my DC2 VTI-R but are they a reputable brand? i have heard of them a few times before but what power gains would i be expecting from them? anyone got them fitted, or any megan product?

NEW QUESTION REGARDING THROTTLE BODIES.

Alright, ive stumbled across an aussie made throttlebody on ebay, the place is PCP, a small workshop that makes them.

They are $200 plus $15 shipping, and they are claiming up to 10% power increase.

Is this plausible?

heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Acura-Integra-VTIR-VTEC-GSR-68mm-Throttle-Body_W0QQitemZ150311973616QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Ca r_Parts_Accessories?hash=item22ff4ab2f0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thanks in advance! (im curious purely because they dont look like a dodgy ebay brand)

tekung89
06-10-2009, 06:42 PM
i would be more worried about ground clearance , ususally the problem. gains will vary depending on the condition of ur engine.

take ur time and research these, theres alot of dispute on how low these hang. some say its rediculous, others say its only 1'' lower then stock. blah blah blah.

4-1 would be the go for me, i prefer top end power after vtec then mid range.

RoryAlexander
06-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Oh ok i hadnt even read anything about ground clearance being an issue with megan headers.

Well my engine seems in pretty good nick, its got 135k's on it but the first 127k's were done by a lady who must have gotten it as a 60th birthday present (haha) and its been serviced every 8k's or so.

right now my car is sitting really high and i dont have any intentions of lowering it at the moment (wait for some coilovers) so ground clearance shouldnt be an issue.

but are they quality?

WATAJK
06-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Oh ok i hadnt even read anything about ground clearance being an issue with megan headers.

Well my engine seems in pretty good nick, its got 135k's on it but the first 127k's were done by a lady who must have gotten it as a 60th birthday present (haha) and its been serviced every 8k's or so.

right now my car is sitting really high and i dont have any intentions of lowering it at the moment (wait for some coilovers) so ground clearance shouldnt be an issue.

but are they quality?

Mugen headers are quality if its genuine mate

RoryAlexander
06-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Nah its MEGAN, not Mugen.

two different brands, i know that Mugen is good, but i doubt i would ever find a rusted out set of mugen headers for $300 haha.

still wanting to hear opinions!

aaronng
07-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Megan headers are a cheaper brand and I have to say that sometimes you get what you pay for. But for $300, you might be surprised with the amount of value that you can get. Just be prepared for additional rework incase there are leaks. Also, use a lot of high temperature copper gasket sealant eventhough gaskets are supplied.

RoryAlexander
07-10-2009, 12:23 AM
So by the same token, brands like x-force would also have the same issues as megan?

They would be coming from the US, so really when they sell apexi n1's for $430 (before shipping) they can make it to you door for around $750 to $800 while to get one from an aussie dealer it would be a fair bit more.

im guessing that megan would end up, if sold over here, a bit more expensive than x-force and other similar brands?

do you know anyone who has ever used them? or have you yourself used them?

RoryAlexander
11-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Anyone else have their two cents?

DC5-S
11-10-2009, 02:39 PM
I used to have Megan Headers on my old car, 8th Gen Civic MY07 VTi with the R18A1 engine in it. I got it for around 200-250 from an authorised reseller in the USA (posted).
The quality on them are pretty good but the sound was a bit wierd...... But again, its on a different car so it might have a difference in sound and power. And at the end of the day its 300 bucks over 1000+ dollars for a mugen. So if u can cope with the unusual rattling and wierd sounds for 300, get the megan. but personally, id go with toda / mugen.

RoryAlexander
11-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Hmm, what dealer was it?

and i dont think they are meant to rattle? haha. theres nothing to rattle in them? maybe it was something loose on your exhaust? (i have a funny rattle too and thats the problem)

do you think they would be better quality than x-force? and did they provide better performance or was it not noticeable?

Thanks

aaronng
11-10-2009, 06:33 PM
So by the same token, brands like x-force would also have the same issues as megan?

They would be coming from the US, so really when they sell apexi n1's for $430 (before shipping) they can make it to you door for around $750 to $800 while to get one from an aussie dealer it would be a fair bit more.

im guessing that megan would end up, if sold over here, a bit more expensive than x-force and other similar brands?

do you know anyone who has ever used them? or have you yourself used them?
Same for X-force. My set had some issues that were fixed under warranty, but I still needed to use a lot of liquid gasket to prevent the exhaust gas from escaping and eventually burning out the gasket around the leak.

patto14
14-10-2009, 01:52 PM
is there 2 2peice ones and they leak get them welded :D it works:D

its more sound quality that u might lack with cheap headers

MrKaji
14-10-2009, 02:14 PM
that 68mm TB is not Aussie made its an OBX throttle body made in the states

complete BS!

i suggest u get a single stage intake manifold and only a 65mm TB is more than enough

RoryAlexander
14-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks MrKaji, i have decided not to do the TB and stuff yet, just get the basics done - I/H/E

and about the headers, they are 1 piece 4-1 though so i would be worried if they leaked. haha.

Well i dont really think they are that cheap, its just they would be coming from America where right now the Aussie dollar is so strong that its driven American prices down for us. at the start of this year they would have been around $375 delivered from the US. but when looking at exhausts/wheels/other parts they are all around $150 to $200 (roughly) cheaper to buy from the states than to buy here, delivered to your door.

So they would probably be a little bit of a step up from xforce.

Ah well, ill just buy them, buy the adapting flange, and whack em on at the end of this year/start of next year.

They maybe i will do a review, haha.

Thanks Guys.

MrKaji
14-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks MrKaji, i have decided not to do the TB and stuff yet, just get the basics done - I/H/E

and about the headers, they are 1 piece 4-1 though so i would be worried if they leaked. haha.

Well i dont really think they are that cheap, its just they would be coming from America where right now the Aussie dollar is so strong that its driven American prices down for us. at the start of this year they would have been around $375 delivered from the US. but when looking at exhausts/wheels/other parts they are all around $150 to $200 (roughly) cheaper to buy from the states than to buy here, delivered to your door.

So they would probably be a little bit of a step up from xforce.

Ah well, ill just buy them, buy the adapting flange, and whack em on at the end of this year/start of next year.

They maybe i will do a review, haha.

Thanks Guys.

get Hytech replica or JDM ITR 4-1 replicas much better than megan stuff IMO

if you look at INFURNOS build thread perfect setup for b18c2 :)

WATAJK
18-10-2009, 02:49 PM
hey guys looking into some megan headers on ebay, what pricing should i be looking at curiously (DC5R)?
Also whats the bonus in power?
Also do i need to change anything else, piping of exhaust to make them fit or it'll be alright?
some noob questions there but still learnin

Soz to hijak ur thread lol

aaronng
18-10-2009, 02:52 PM
hey guys looking into some megan headers on ebay, what pricing should i be looking at curiously (DC5R)?
Also whats the bonus in power?
Also do i need to change anything else, piping of exhaust to make them fit or it'll be alright?
some noob questions there but still learnin

Soz to hijak ur thread lol

DO NOT HIJACK.
You should use the search function. Look at what I found just by searching for "megan header": http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1110364&postcount=28