PDA

View Full Version : Noise coming from rear (with sound)

BaSsMaXiMuS
06-10-2009, 08:29 PM
I was greeted by a strange sound coming from the rear. I am quite sure it's not the diff as I just had it replaced. I am heading towards the drive shaft or axle joints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfOzfikS5ZM&feature=channel_page

Any ideas? I'll have it checked out this week...

F20C
07-10-2009, 08:09 AM
turbo bro haha jokes no idea maybe fluff comming out of your resinator/exhaust? Sounds kinda raspy to me =\

JAP-S2K
07-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Not a diff or driveshaft. You weren't moving. Sounds like a loose bracket/washer. If it is rev related then start looking under the bonnet, eg like the engine belt, check the tensioner bearing, try pushing clutch in and rev?

BaSsMaXiMuS
07-10-2009, 05:24 PM
turbo bro haha jokes no idea maybe fluff comming out of your resinator/exhaust? Sounds kinda raspy to me =\

Hahaha - I wish, turbo would be nice. The rasp is my exhaust note :P :p

It's more of a rattle/loose sound you hear after exhaust note.

I guess the jury is still out on the secret sound.

BaSsMaXiMuS
07-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Not a diff or driveshaft. You weren't moving. Sounds like a loose bracket/washer. If it is rev related then start looking under the bonnet, eg like the engine belt, check the tensioner bearing, try pushing clutch in and rev?

Good point JAP-S2K - If it was the diff or drive shaft it would have to be spinning. I'll check for belt, it is time to change the belt anyway.

You, my man have given me a new lead! hahah

Cheers

irvinchua
12-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Our cars don't have a belt. It's chain driven and you replace the timing chain tensioner if it's due but that 'rattly' sound is coming from your rear and not the engine bay so it's not the TCT.

JAP-S2K
12-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Our cars don't have a belt. It's chain driven and you replace the timing chain tensioner if it's due but that 'rattly' sound is coming from your rear and not the engine bay so it's not the TCT.
Last time i looked. The alternator, water pump, A/C ran off a belt, correct me if i'm wrong!

irvinchua
12-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Well I did think that after I posted but I was under the assumption that you were referring to the camshaft timing belt.

But the sound is still coming from the rear and the fault is clearly not caused by the AC belt.

F20C
12-10-2009, 06:29 PM
If its comming from the back when the car isnt moving.. Could it be the exhaust? i wouldnt have any idea what could be wrong with it.. But it would make sense?

JAP-S2K
12-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Well I did think that after I posted but I was under the assumption that you were referring to the camshaft timing belt.

But the sound is still coming from the rear and the fault is clearly not caused by the AC belt.

It sounds rev related to me, so IMO i gave options known that could it be.

irvinchua
12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Could it be coming from the exhaust mounting points? As revs rise, so to do vibrations.

BaSsMaXiMuS
13-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Could it be coming from the exhaust mounting points? As revs rise, so to do vibrations.

I unbolted the exhaust and found that the exhaust was not mounted correctly on one of the mounting rubbers. I really had hoped that affixing this would solve the problem. It somewhat helped but I am still getting a slight sound whilst in motion accelerating and when stationery revving the car.

I am confident that the sound is coming from the rear of the car. The exhaust must be touching something hence creating vibrations. Just not sure where the contact point is atm. Once I go to Hanny’s and they lift the car then I will be sure what it is and fix it