PDA

View Full Version : Confused about P Plate Laws

vtec_cpu
07-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Hey guys, I have an EG hatch (92 Civic EG Hatch Breeze), it is fully stripped (only have dashboard, center console, steering wheel and seats (soon to come). I have recently got my Learners License as well. And just wondering, when i get my P's, am i able to drive a car with that much of interior parts missing? or in other words, is the car able to be registered like this? and also, are P platers able to drive mod plated cars? was wondering this because my EG doesn't have an engine in it at the moment, was planning to drop a B-series in it.. instead of putting the original engines that come in EG3's (d13b2 twin carby). And to do an engine swap, it requires a mod plate....

And also, does your car require a mod plate to have carbon fiber parts on it?
My EG also has a CUSCO 6-point roll cage, i assume thats illegal for p platers so i'm going to take it out if anything..
Help would be much appreciated guys. Thanks

ADDED: Picture

vinnY
07-10-2009, 08:11 PM
this (http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Licensing/Driver_licence/Getting_a_licence/Car/Restrictions/High_powered_and_performance_vehicle_restriction/) might answer a few of your questions

might have to wait for some queenslanders to chime in on the more specific questions though

gen2 CRX
07-10-2009, 08:14 PM
I dont think an engine swap on a eg 1.8 liters and under requires a mod plate. As for the interior you would need to have door trims and anything else that protects the driver and passengers.

V73C
07-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Your a P plater, everything you just listed there you cannot drive with.

Because you pretty much gotta mod plate those parts. But doesnt mean you'll get away with fines.

Heres a good advice, since you just got your license, keep the car as is, get some interior and drive it.

V73C
07-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I dont think an engine swap on a eg 1.8 liters and under requires a mod plate. As for the interior you would need to have door trims and anything else that protects the driver and passengers.

Thats for NSW, in queensland your gonna need a mod plate for the new engine, "different engine numbers"
And cos it's got a mod plate, P platers arent aloud to drive em

vtec_cpu
07-10-2009, 08:24 PM

Damnit you got me excited there until i read the post below :(

vtec_cpu
07-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Your a P plater, everything you just listed there you cannot drive with.

Because you pretty much gotta mod plate those parts. But doesnt mean you'll get away with fines.

Heres a good advice, since you just got your license, keep the car as is, get some interior and drive it.

Damn, what about the stripped interior? am i still able to drive it like that? i have door trims, dash, center console, will be getting seats, steering wheel, carpet, roof vynl and that practically it...

By the there is no engine as i said before =/
What your saying is put the original engine back in it? D13b2
And do i have to get "ALL" of the interior that is missing or just a few bits n pieces?

So carbon fiber parts are under mod plates? :eek:

m.o.d.aus
07-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Hey mate.
Carbon fibre it illegal. No amount of mod plating will change that, its got something to do with how its shatters in an accedent.

And for the others, according to the department of transport (i called them) your allowed as a P plater, to drive around in a car that has mod/blue plated parts ie engine or roll cage.

And as for the interior, you will need to have the plastic trims for the insides, plus the back seat, unless you mod/blue plate it as a two seater, but you dont need carpet or sound deadening.

Thats as far as my knowledge goes anyways.

Cheers Nic.

vtec_cpu
07-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Hey mate.
Carbon fibre it illegal. No amount of mod plating will change that, its got something to do with how its shatters in an accedent.

And for the others, according to the department of transport (i called them) your allowed as a P plater, to drive around in a car that has mod/blue plated parts ie engine or roll cage.

And as for the interior, you will need to have the plastic trims for the insides, plus the back seat, unless you mod/blue plate it as a two seater, but you dont need carpet or sound deadening.

Cheers Nic.
WOW, are you for real. but does that mean i can put a B-series engine in my EG? or not?
is it alright if i just have the door trims, dash, center, seats, steering wheel?
or do i have to have all the other bits n pieces?
Yeah i think it is already mod plated as a two seater.... :S not sure
Well the carpet makes it look a lot cleaner, and as for the sound deadening, i'd prefer it. haha

m.o.d.aus
07-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Like the below, has plastic that covers teh area where driver etc sits.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2867/interiord.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

The other areas will be fine.
But that is only if your mod/blue plated as a two seater.
If not then you need the back seats and the side trim to suit.
Nic.

vtec_cpu
07-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Like the below, has plastic that covers teh area where driver etc sits.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2867/interiord.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

The other areas will be fine.
But that is only if your mod/blue plated as a two seater.
If not then you need the back seats and the side trim to suit.
Nic.
Yeah man, everything at the front, i have. including all of the plastics etc. just not anything behind it/rear. lol. and also, everything above the windows height, the plastics/vynl are there. i'll see if i can get a pic up tmw or something

eeKayFouR
07-10-2009, 10:43 PM
From what I've heard, no engine swaps can be done regardless of it being mod plated. I will try dig up the document I read, it said something like only the original engine from that car is allowed to be transplanted; in this case d13b2 into an eg3. I did a lot of research before I bought my car & got my P's ;D i was planning to do eg w/ b16a hahaha anyway, don't quote me till I find that document!

eeKayFouR
07-10-2009, 10:44 PM
oh also, you will need you're rear seats if it is registered as a 4/5 seater :p unless mod plated and re-registered as a 2 seater!

vtec_cpu
07-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Oh damn. D13b2 here i come? :S
Yeah i think my EG is mod plated as a 2 seater.
Ran out of Rego awhile ago...?

eeKayFouR
07-10-2009, 10:54 PM
oh that'd be sweeeeet :p lightweight ftw! haha when do you get your p's? :D

vtec_cpu
07-10-2009, 10:57 PM
LOL. Umm i just got my L's last friday.... ==''
So I'll be getting my P's next year around this time.
FFS I regret waiting for so long..
So do you have an EG and a EK ?
or just that EK in your DP? looks nice =]

eeKayFouR
07-10-2009, 11:00 PM
oh truuuuuuuue.. a year is a long time :p and yuup thats my ek in teh dp! ;D

vtec_cpu
07-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Yeah i know man, i could have gotten my P's this year ==''
Nice, whats have you done to it?
Still go to school? D=

eeKayFouR
07-10-2009, 11:27 PM
hahahas blbl mmm not too much, jst axleback twin loop exhaust, lowered on kings and intake! nothing too hectic ): and yup finishing off gr12! D: wbu?

V73C
07-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Hey mate.

Cheers Nic.

your quoting P platers that had their license before the new laws came in. I know for a fact that if you are under the new laws, anything that had something to do with mods, is not legal.
Should of just bought a type R

riceball
08-10-2009, 03:34 PM
your quoting P platers that had their license before the new laws came in. I know for a fact that if you are under the new laws, anything that had something to do with mods, is not legal.
Should of just bought a type R

type r wuld be so much easier. ahahha

but of what i HEARD, you can get a mod plate for your seats (recaros, brides etc) but you cannot do any mods to the engine cos its ****ed up p plater laws.

build a fully worked out b16a then shove it in! hahaha it wuld look stock:P

vtec_cpu
08-10-2009, 07:27 PM
type r wuld be so much easier. ahahha

but of what i HEARD, you can get a mod plate for your seats (recaros, brides etc) but you cannot do any mods to the engine cos its ****ed up p plater laws.

build a fully worked out b16a then shove it in! hahaha it wuld look stock:P

oh sweet.
so am i able to put a b16a in it? or not
wouldn't that classify as modding? .... a built b16a?? lol:confused:
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

vtec_cpu
08-10-2009, 07:28 PM
hahahas blbl mmm not too much, jst axleback twin loop exhaust, lowered on kings and intake! nothing too hectic ): and yup finishing off gr12! D: wbu?

True that.
I'm still in grade 12 at the moment.
Got about 5-6 weeks left, and finished!

eeKayFouR
08-10-2009, 08:08 PM
oh sweet.

LOl jimmy (i think it's jimmy) is just confusing you hahah you can't shove a b16a into your eg3! Only d13b2 :thumbsup:

vtec_cpu
08-10-2009, 09:21 PM
LOl jimmy (i think it's jimmy) is just confusing you hahah you can't shove a b16a into your eg3! Only d13b2 :thumbsup:

Jimmy is gay. He knows it

02gzm
09-10-2009, 02:43 PM
oh sweet.

I'm just going to quote myself cos I can't be bothered writing it out again.

National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Construction & Modification. (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx)

Bookmark it. Read it.

Just to clear up a few things for people.

Engine Replacement
You can replace your engine with a replacement new, used or reconditioned engine of the same type. Also an equivalent factory optioned engine for that model, with out the need for certification.

Performance Engines
Fitting of a replacement engine with more than 20% greater weight and/or power output than the engine offered by the manufacturer as a standard or optional engine requires certification.

As EG Civic's weren't constructed in Aus with a B-series engine, legally you need a mod plate to put one in. Therefore legally no, P-platers aren't allowed to have one.

Yes you may get away with it for a while, but there is a very good chance that a cop will take 1 look at it and tell you to start making calls for someone to come pick you up. With the introduction of the new P-plate vehicle power restrictions a lot more cops are being taught what cars/engines you are and aren't allowed to drive. So having a big "DOHC VTEC" embossed on a rocker cover kinda gives it away...

Also, yes you're allowed a mod plate for seats, but no you can't put a B-series in it. You can however put any D-series engine in without needing a mod plate.

mocchi
09-10-2009, 02:50 PM

Also, yes you're allowed a mod plate for seats, but no you can't put a B-series in it. You can however put any D-series engine in without needing a mod plate.

hey mate,

just wondering because eg6 comes with b16. does that law only apply to AUDM vehicles?

thanks for the info.

V73C
09-10-2009, 06:17 PM
EG6 was Japanese delivered, and came factory with a B16a. So no it wont be legal for P platers. However for a EK yes.

02gzm
09-10-2009, 07:30 PM
hey mate,

just wondering because eg6 comes with b16. does that law only apply to AUDM vehicles?

thanks for the info.

As EG Civic's weren't constructed in Aus with a B-series engine, legally you need a mod plate to put one in. Therefore legally no, P-platers aren't allowed to have one.

EG6's were never released in Australia and are classified as an import. You're allowed to drive a genuine one. But good luck finding one. The NCOP (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx) applies to Aus released vehicles and their components.

vtec_cpu
11-10-2009, 02:36 PM
So would my interior pass for the p plate laws?
Or would i have to take off the front part of the roll cage? and make it a half.
Get a mod/blue plate for a 2 seater, and register it as a 2 seater car too?
Is stripping your car counted as a mod? same goes for relocating your battery behind the passenger side seat??? :confused:

vtec_cpu
11-10-2009, 08:08 PM

Cheers for the info, but what about my interior?

02gzm
11-10-2009, 08:18 PM
It's got nothing to do with the P-plate laws. It's just laws in general.

- Legally the cage will need to be mod plated. And no engineer will approve of a full cage that has the potential to block the doors.

- To remove the rear seats the car will have to be de-registered as a 5 seater and then re-registered as a 2 seater.

- You should never have the battery inside the cabin with you anyway but to be in an enclosed space like the cabin or boot it needs to be in a sealed container that is vented to atmosphere.

The only plated mods that P-platers aren't allowed to have are performance mods. i.e. a B swap into an EG. Seats, interior, cages, etc. are all legal as they aren't performance mods. Doesn't mean a cop will think you should be getting around in a car like that though.

vtec_cpu
11-10-2009, 08:24 PM
It's got nothing to do with the P-plate laws. It's just laws in general.

- Legally the cage will need to be mod plated. And no engineer will approve of a full cage that has the potential to block the doors.

- To remove the rear seats the car will have to be de-registered as a 5 seater and then re-registered as a 2 seater.

- You should never have the battery inside the cabin with you anyway but to be in an enclosed space like the cabin or boot it needs to be in a sealed container that is vented to atmosphere.

The only plated mods that P-platers aren't allowed to have are performance mods. i.e. a B swap into an EG. Seats, interior, cages, etc. are all legal as they aren't performance mods. Doesn't mean a cop will think you should be getting around in a car like that though.

OK so i'll turn the full cage into a Half cage.. but its not even blocking the doors?
Yeah i'll check to see if it was registered as a 2 seater already or not.
I have a sealed container for the battery, but i lost the top/lid for it. I'll get a new one soon.
Seats, interior, cages... I'll remember that.
Thanks again