PDA

View Full Version : Want to lower my eg

clutch
07-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey guys, i have the stock eg vti suspension setup at the moment and id love to lower it maybe 1 or 2 inches? Im just wondering wat the best and cheapest way to do it is. I found some cheap lowered springs on feebay but not sure of there any good, they were going for 150 and 250? Anyway if anyone has some bright ideas id like to hear em!

Cheers!

V73C
07-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Makita !!! that'll do the job XD

kcokla
08-10-2009, 09:43 AM
what brand are the springs on ebay?

i suggest u use the search function - but to sum it up theres alot of things to take into account.

lowering the car doesnt just lower the car.

the suspension you are sitting on is designed for the car, and altering to extreme levels will put stress on certain parts, for example the shocks - if u change the springs, which may cause them to break and take on damage over time.

in addition changing the springs alone (dpending on what they are but in this case lowering) youll probably receive a less comfortable ride that bounces everywhere like jack in the box.

however, the cheapest way for you to lower your car is by chopping your springs
alternatively though i doubt anyone would recommend doing that on this forum, and would suggest u go look to get some springs,
KING springs are common/easy for this kinda job. if you goto the traders section RACE NATION sells king springs. (around 400 i think for a set of 4)
alternatively you can spend big dollars and get a whole new suspension set up shocks and springs, - adjustable ones, so you can ride stiff and low ! ( around 800 second hand - 2000 brand new

clutch
08-10-2009, 10:37 AM
ok, the ones on ebay were king springs

so i cant put lowered king springs in with the stock shocks? this wont work properly? is that what your saying?

what brand are the springs on ebay?

i suggest u use the search function - but to sum it up theres alot of things to take into account.

lowering the car doesnt just lower the car.

the suspension you are sitting on is designed for the car, and altering to extreme levels will put stress on certain parts, for example the shocks - if u change the springs, which may cause them to break and take on damage over time.

in addition changing the springs alone (dpending on what they are but in this case lowering) youll probably receive a less comfortable ride that bounces everywhere like jack in the box.

however, the cheapest way for you to lower your car is by chopping your springs
alternatively though i doubt anyone would recommend doing that on this forum, and would suggest u go look to get some springs,
KING springs are common/easy for this kinda job. if you goto the traders section RACE NATION sells king springs. (around 400 i think for a set of 4)
alternatively you can spend big dollars and get a whole new suspension set up shocks and springs, - adjustable ones, so you can ride stiff and low ! ( around 800 second hand - 2000 brand new

eeKayFouR
08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
You can run the king springs in your stock shocks. What he's saying is that this way of lowering your car will reduce comfort and possibly stress out your stock sussy more so than it is now. Not detrimental of course! Cheapest option for a lower ride is just lowered springs :thumbsup:

kcokla
08-10-2009, 10:46 AM
ok, the ones on ebay were king springs

so i cant put lowered king springs in with the stock shocks? this wont work properly? is that what your saying?

most definately not,
they will work ' properly'
theyll fit fine, youll still drive safely and the car will be lower,
the ride, in terms of comfort and feel will be differnt.
shocks can take differnt stress levels and plenty of people will ujse kings on the shocks you've got,
but my point im trying to make is when u think about changing springs, lots of things change as opposed to just the height of the car :thumbsup:

again, they will work' properly'

clutch
08-10-2009, 11:35 AM
ok, if its going to change the ride comfort, do you mean stiffer or softer? or does it change everytime? i might leave it stock if its going to be harder than i thought haha

most definately not,
they will work ' properly'
theyll fit fine, youll still drive safely and the car will be lower,
the ride, in terms of comfort and feel will be differnt.
shocks can take differnt stress levels and plenty of people will ujse kings on the shocks you've got,
but my point im trying to make is when u think about changing springs, lots of things change as opposed to just the height of the car :thumbsup:

again, they will work' properly'

kcokla
08-10-2009, 11:59 AM
it will be softer and more bouncier,
if u take the alternative - whole set of coilovers then they will be stiffer!

mocchi
08-10-2009, 12:33 PM
it will be softer and more bouncier,
if u take the alternative - whole set of coilovers then they will be stiffer!

but he wants the cheapest solution.
get hacksaw and cut them.

if he gets into an accident, blame himself and his springs.

edit: best and cheap is somewhat like oil and water. they dont mix quite well.

might want to read this (http://craig.backfire.ca/pages/autos/cutting-springs)

clutch
08-10-2009, 01:27 PM
im sorry, i was first asking about the lowered springs, and then i asked the cheapest/best, yes you can have a cheapest best solution which captures both worlds.

i never said anything about cutting springs and i would never do it as i would like to keep the springs for a rainy day...

i would apreaciate it if you didnt make me out to be an idiot by saying "if he gets into an accident, blame himself and his springs." etc

but he wants the cheapest solution.
get hacksaw and cut them.

if he gets into an accident, blame himself and his springs.

edit: best and cheap is somewhat like oil and water. they dont mix quite well.

might want to read this (http://craig.backfire.ca/pages/autos/cutting-springs)

Lukey
08-10-2009, 03:21 PM
cheapest options is lowering springs. king springs, possibly pedders, could even get the stock springs compressed if you want.

but lowering on stock height shocks will make the ride more bouncy, and the shocks wont last as long as they should. i got gabriel shockers (same as stock height) and i got 1 or 2 that are leaking oil from being with lowered springs.

mocchi
08-10-2009, 03:35 PM
im sorry, i was first asking about the lowered springs, and then i asked the cheapest/best, yes you can have a cheapest best solution which captures both worlds.

i never said anything about cutting springs and i would never do it as i would like to keep the springs for a rainy day...

i would apreaciate it if you didnt make me out to be an idiot by saying "if he gets into an accident, blame himself and his springs." etc

then your solution would be getting lowered springs off ebay or whatnot.
compressing springs seems similar to cutting springs to me.

might want to get kings super lows? i've seen they go pretty low.

my apology if i sounded rude.

kcokla
08-10-2009, 10:28 PM
since we're on the topic,
i understand what compressing springs means but how is it done ?
i obviously understand it is a perminant solution to the springs that is not simplying putting them in spring compressors (ie when taking them on and off suspension)

vinnY
08-10-2009, 11:54 PM
compress spring to desired length>heat to red hot>let it cool in said length

im.Kusuma
11-10-2009, 08:02 PM
pedders are $50 for each spring, any height. go for pedders! they're comfy and reliable

clutch
12-10-2009, 11:44 AM
pedders are $50 for each spring, any height. go for pedders! they're comfy and reliable

how much for shocks?