PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust for D16Y1

Jaime
07-10-2009, 11:17 PM
As some of you guys/girls read on my introduction post, I want to keep my D series engine for now and in the near future maybe boosting the little engine.

I've got the looks department and suspension covered; and installed an Injen CAI, but for now I want an exhaust system; I want to go with ITR b-pipe and maybe an EK4 axleback. The ITR b-pipe and EK4 axleback should be bolt-on from what I have read.

To create a high-flow exhaust, Am I able to use the ITR cat aswell?

Im confused and really don't know what to do, ITR cat (if possible), ITR b-pipe and EK4 axleback is what I have in mind. Will it work?

To the guys out there with more experience can you please suggest a good combo that would be suitable for the car.

Many thanks in advance.

anzai
08-10-2009, 01:17 AM
whats the diameter on the itr b-pipe? i rkn just get a 2'' piping fabricated and get a muffler of your choice, depending on whether you want loud or soft.

imo dont spend to much on performance until you decide to boost the engine, no matter how high the exhaust flow is you really won't notice significant improvement withe the d-series, however im not too familiar with sohc vtecs so it might be a different story in your case.

jdm_b16a
08-10-2009, 04:21 AM
no matter how high the exhaust flow is you really won't notice significant improvement withe the d-series.

Not true. You will notice significant improvement with a sports system (up to 2.25'') over the standard unit. I originally had some headers fitted to a hiflow cat (CATCO), resonator and sports muffler and the improvement was very noticeable on my D16Y1 engine (1993 Civic EH9 VTi). I've now transplanted that rebuilt engine into an ED6, with D16Y1 standard header, same resonator, and a Lukey sports muffler and the throttle response is terrific. I've built a 2.25'' mandrel bent system and that makes all the difference.

Peter

anzai
08-10-2009, 09:40 AM
ah, so it is different with sohc vtecs.. good to know:thumbsup:

well i guess you wont get much gains on d16y4, to put it more accurately.

Jaime
08-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Do you guys have any experience, with the system I've mentioned above?

anzai, I think ITR b-pipes are 2".

jdm_b16a, where could I get a good system done?

Thanks for the advice.

EK1.6LCIV
08-10-2009, 11:11 AM
a good cat back is all you'd really need to get, shouldn't be over $350 for that anywhere down south, just a basic press bent system will be a good improvement even with stock headers

Jaime
10-10-2009, 12:32 AM
So can anyone recommend a good place where I can get an exhaust done...Anyone ever put Spoon N1 axleback on a D16Y1?

I would head down to Liverpool exhaust but they would probably rip me off, plus I don't know much about exhausts.

jdm_b16a
10-10-2009, 06:07 AM
Try the Performance Exhaust Centre, Windsor Road, Northmead. 9683 5688.

Near the flyover/junction where Bunnings is. They did a great job on one of my other cars (turbo setup).

Peter

bennjamin
11-10-2009, 09:30 AM
on an engine such as a D series (any) there will NOT be any improvement in outright HP. It just alters your power curve slightly....IE alittle more top end feel.
If you intend to keep the engine in the car then yes , go for it. 2 inch MAX for any D series.

jdm_b16a
11-10-2009, 01:24 PM
on an engine such as a D series (any) there will NOT be any improvement in outright HP. It just alters your power curve slightly....IE alittle more top end feel.
If you intend to keep the engine in the car then yes , go for it. 2 inch MAX for any D series.

The original poster asked if there would be an improvement. He didn't specify the parameters for this improvement. Perhaps he should have. My reply was that there would be an improvement but I also fell into the same trap and wasn't specific about what those improvement(s) might be. No one mentioned outright horsepower. That's not to say that there may not be some improvement in that area, no matter how small. My response was based on personal experience and 'feel' - I've never felt the need to visit a dyno. I agree, a 2'' system would be a good fit for what he wants to do, in terms of cost and outcome.

Peter

tank
11-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I want to go with ITR b-pipe and maybe an EK4 axleback. The ITR b-pipe and EK4 axleback should be bolt-on from what I have read.

The set up you mentioned might bolt-on but, no it will not work if you want performance.

OEM ITR B-pipe is 2.25 inch but OEM EK4 axleback is only 2.0 inch. So, its not a good match.

bennjamin
11-10-2009, 02:31 PM
The original poster asked if there would be an improvement. He didn't specify the parameters for this improvement. Perhaps he should have. My reply was that there would be an improvement but I also fell into the same trap and wasn't specific about what those improvement(s) might be. No one mentioned outright horsepower. That's not to say that there may not be some improvement in that area, no matter how small. My response was based on personal experience and 'feel' - I've never felt the need to visit a dyno. I agree, a 2'' system would be a good fit for what he wants to do, in terms of cost and outcome.

Peter

In no way picking your post - you are 100% that this is a vague topic with an equally open answer.
But we can all summarise , that a D series from standard to midly built (no turbo) will benefit from a freer flowing header cat , cat back and muffler , with 2 inches been a general size that comes to mind. Remember also the significant weight saving is a bonus of any after market system (mild/ stainless is lighter than cast iron !)

Alvis
12-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Given I have a D16Y4 and have recently done some exhaust work I thought I might wade into the wave of opinions!

I recently fitted a high-flow cat (USA made) and 2 inch exhaust system from Hi-Tech Mufflers in Darlinghurst, Sydney. And I have to say I am very pleased with the results. While I haven't had it dyno tested (I will once I fit an ECU), I don't think there is any need with all their mufflers being dyno tested for proven performance. Again, how big or small the gains are, I don't know.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5391/70171324665564145332014.jpg
By civica (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/civica) at 2009-09-24

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6725/70171324665614145332014.jpg
By civica (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/civica) at 2009-09-24

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7965/p1040730edit.jpg
By civica (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/civica), shot with DMC-FZ20 (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=DMC-FZ20&make=Panasonic) at 2009-09-28

But what I can say is the car no longer feels like it's choking on it's own fumes - it revs much more freely, is more enjoyable and easy to drive as a daily driver, has more 'kick' from 3,500 rpm onwards and I can't tell you how fantastic the sound is. Honestly, people turn around and can't believe it's a little Civic (at the moment there are no other visual mods to the car). But it's deep and smooth the way a Honda should be.

I didn't go for headers because it's not worth the 'bang for your buck' you get - and performance gains only comes in after around 6,000 rpm - not much good for a D16Y4 unfortunately!

BUT, if you do a lot of long distance travel it's probably not the system for you. In the city it's fine, but for long distance trips the sound can get a little annoying so that would be the only downside.

But Hi-Tech Mufflers would be recommendation for a top quality exhaust system - even comes with a 10yr warranty and is cheaper for cash!

Jaime
12-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I was doing a bit of research, and I might go turbo sometime next year but would I be able to use the exhaust if I do it before hand.

will13
13-10-2009, 12:27 AM
bennjamin, can i ask why you would only go 2" max? as opposed to say, 2.25" ?

dougie_504
13-10-2009, 07:46 PM

Because the engine is too small and weak. You'd just end up losing torque :(

EDIT: 2.25" for low PSI F/I

EK1.6LCIV
13-10-2009, 08:13 PM
unless u have headwork done to a 1.6 2.25 is a waste and will drone, loose torque and cause regrets

bennjamin
13-10-2009, 09:07 PM

as posts state above.

Jaime
13-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Im sure for now I might stay with the engine cos I'm interested on going turbo, so in a turbo set-up what are the difference on the exhaust, I know that the header change to suit the turbo follow by the downpipe. If I change the exhaust first could I re-use it?

Regards,
Jaime

dougie_504
13-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Depends on what PSI you run. If you're planning on going stock internals with 8 or so PSI I suggest 2.25" maybe, but if you're going to do internal work and go higher PSI then probably 2.25-2.5"

will13
21-10-2009, 09:25 AM
no wonder mine feels a bit slower lol

hmm. sorry to hijack, but i have a 2.25 catback...would i have to change my muffler if i wanted to make it a 2" pipe instead?

dougie_504
22-10-2009, 08:05 PM
no wonder mine feels a bit slower lol

hmm. sorry to hijack, but i have a 2.25 catback...would i have to change my muffler if i wanted to make it a 2" pipe instead?

Nah, the muffler is sweet. You just need to make sure that the header/cat/cat-back will fit one another which is easy with a piece of flex-pipe (different size on each end that connects two pieces if they're not the same size).

90LAN
22-10-2009, 09:35 PM
i would get some cheap ebay headers
get a cheap hi flow cat
buy a jdm triangle flange
use the itr b pipe and use the ek4 axle back muffler

no real notice in power drop as its gutless below vtec anyway
and what torque so your not losing anything

and just use that to you go turbo

dont get any stupid fart cannon mufflers as they all all waste of money and sound so shit and dont do shit