PDA

View Full Version : exhaust noise

xolent
11-10-2009, 08:53 PM
i just got my exhaust done on saturday and it's making this tinning / vibration mental sound. i got a s10 twinloop xfoce muffler with a combination of xforce high flow cat and 2 1\4 inch piping.

my mate just got the same muffler put onto his crx but doesn't have that noise, could anyone help me or can tell me how i can stop that ugly noise ...?
could it be because i don't have a resinator for my exhaust as i don't have one on my car.

hAmZ
12-10-2009, 12:00 AM
check it isnt hitting against the underbody somewhere. maybe hitting the cat heatshield?

lil_foy
12-10-2009, 01:54 AM
Jack the car up and put it on stands.
Start from the engine and work your way down the exhaust and check where it is rubbing agaisnt anything, it will be rubbing against a heat shield which you can easily bend away with your hand (careful they are sharp) that should solve it.

xolent
12-10-2009, 07:09 AM
but the noise is coming from the muffler

Lukey
12-10-2009, 08:55 AM
was the muffler brand new?

SHU-ES1
12-10-2009, 09:42 AM
you might need a mid muffler/resonator, i had a similar problem when i was just running a magnaflow muffler at the end.

xolent
12-10-2009, 11:00 AM
see thats what i thought too casue i don't haveone atm thats why it makes that noise but when i'm reving from 900 to 2800rmp theres no noise but when it hits 3000rpm it begins to tin / flapping mental noise

RoryAlexander
12-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Does it sound almost like a stone is rattling around in your muffler?

xolent
12-10-2009, 01:57 PM
i can't explanin it but ill record the film clip and post it up similar to that tho

SHU-ES1
12-10-2009, 03:19 PM
the problem i had when i changed over to a high flow cat was that my apexi n1 went really really loud, especially after 3krpm. i changed over to a magnaflow oval muffler, with a 5" round magnaflow mid muffler (both straight through design) and the tinny/rattly noise has gone. i think because you changed over to high flow cat, the exhaust fumes are moving through your exhaust a lot quicker and hence are louder at the higher rpms. i bet if you throw in a resonator/mid muffler, the sound will either stop happening or happen later at the higher rpms ~ maybe at 6-7krpm instead of 3k.

this is what my apexi use to sound like just after i installed the high flow cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6PooKS1m3A

something like that?

Limbo
13-10-2009, 09:16 AM
its the muffler vibrating, sometimes a reasonator helps, but alot of them make that noise due to thin walls in the muffler.

SOme of them the internal baffle break and make noise also

SHU-ES1
13-10-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm assuming the quality of the muffler isn't an issue because its both X-Force HiFlow Cat and TwinLoop Muffler. There product quality is quite reasonable.

The YouTube clip I left was of my 5+ year old Apexi N1, and when I removed it and shook both the resonator and muffler, I could hear the muffling materials all broken inside and as well as falling out in little bits so that's why it was so horrible.

Love the sound of it now though! Money well spent! Even though the Vi has no guts to go with the sound.

Limbo
13-10-2009, 11:26 AM
i've seen quite a few twinloops have this problem, there was a bad batch a while back

I'm assuming the quality of the muffler isn't an issue because its both X-Force HiFlow Cat and TwinLoop Muffler. There product quality is quite reasonable.

The YouTube clip I left was of my 5+ year old Apexi N1, and when I removed it and shook both the resonator and muffler, I could hear the muffling materials all broken inside and as well as falling out in little bits so that's why it was so horrible.

Love the sound of it now though! Money well spent! Even though the Vi has no guts to go with the sound.

xolent
14-10-2009, 09:17 AM
ill be pissed if this was a bad batch that went through **** me dead

vinnY
14-10-2009, 04:11 PM
does your cat have a heat shield welded to the body?
check if that's rattling, mine came loose on the weekend so i took a piece of wood and whacked off the plate, problem solved

xolent
15-10-2009, 07:20 AM
nope i'm getting a hot dog put in on saturday so we will find out if that fixes the problem

SHU-ES1
15-10-2009, 08:41 AM
if that dosen't help bro, you probably got a dodgy muffler. but i think it will help!

Eddie
17-10-2009, 11:43 PM
i had the same problem before with my s10 and was told that it's common on the xforce twinloop. Had the muffler replace by xforce.

THis was like 2 years ago