PDA

View Full Version : Cant get my Bov to work since i changed turbo

FastFwd
12-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Strangest thing ever...

So i got a HKS SSQ Bov which has only been on the car for 6 months so its close to new. I installed it when i had my gt28rs installed and it worked fine but after i rebuilt the motor and installed the gt2871r the bov just doesnt want to work. I removed it on the weekend pulled it apart completely, cleaned it up and made sure nothing was broken inside. All seams fine so i put it back on the car and the dam thing still doesnt wanna work. So i check vac lines, tried 2 different hoses and 3 different points of Vac and still doesnt work.

Anyone have any idea's they think might be causing this?

aaronng
12-10-2009, 12:55 PM
What boost pressure range is the BOV rated to work at?

FastFwd
12-10-2009, 01:04 PM
its worked at 5psi before...rating says 7psi+ on the site

im running 10psi.

Limbo
12-10-2009, 04:17 PM
had the same prob with mine also, the GT2871 seems to not go off until i hit higher RPMs

FastFwd
12-10-2009, 04:31 PM
the gt28rs obviously spools up earlier, also giving PSI earlier but the 2871r only takes a little longer so it cant be that.

The hks ssq is one of the only bov's ive had that activate on very low psi. On older bov's ive had Supersonic and megasonic Turbosmart bovs they dont even activate unless ur giving it a bit.

But with the Hks ssq it will activate even on idle and just revving slightly. But since the gt2871r it hasn't worked. I'm using a solo vac directly from the intake manifold, using Sard silicone 2mm internal vac lines which ive always used.

I do remember with my old 35/40 which i had on my first turbo setup.. that thing took until 5000+ rpm before bov would engage.

bloodsword27
12-10-2009, 10:37 PM
should have nothing to do with spooling (sort of). if u make the boost it should let off. if it hasnt been used maybe its ceased up, and just needs lubricating with some engine oil for moving bits inside it. mine sat on the car 3 months without even being starting and works fine on 1st start after getting my licence back

DLO01
13-10-2009, 10:33 AM
A Bov works on a Push Pull system. +ve boost on one side and -ve vacum on the other side to open the valve.

Where have you got the vacum run to? *edit* sorry, I should learn to read.

Have you played with the adjustment spring tension?

Limbo
13-10-2009, 11:23 AM
yeah i got the turbosmart supersonic

the gt28rs obviously spools up earlier, also giving PSI earlier but the 2871r only takes a little longer so it cant be that.

The hks ssq is one of the only bov's ive had that activate on very low psi. On older bov's ive had Supersonic and megasonic Turbosmart bovs they dont even activate unless ur giving it a bit.

But with the Hks ssq it will activate even on idle and just revving slightly. But since the gt2871r it hasn't worked. I'm using a solo vac directly from the intake manifold, using Sard silicone 2mm internal vac lines which ive always used.

I do remember with my old 35/40 which i had on my first turbo setup.. that thing took until 5000+ rpm before bov would engage.

FastFwd
13-10-2009, 11:50 AM
should have nothing to do with spooling (sort of). if u make the boost it should let off. if it hasnt been used maybe its ceased up, and just needs lubricating with some engine oil for moving bits inside it. mine sat on the car 3 months without even being starting and works fine on 1st start after getting my licence back

as i said in the first post i pulled it apart and cleaned it all making sure its working fine, its fully lubricated and everything is functioning in the bov. Its only 6 months old anyways and ive probably daily driven the car 1-2 months with it on there.

A Bov works on a Push Pull system. +ve boost on one side and -ve vacum on the other side to open the valve.

Where have you got the vacum run to? *edit* sorry, I should learn to read.

Have you played with the adjustment spring tension?

my hks ssq isnt the adjustable model. I was going to buy the adjustable one but they didn't make much difference in the turbosmart series, it just changed when the bov would engage. Either earlier in the RPM or later but the volume of the bov was roughly the same.

I was thinking of maybe weekening the spring a bit on it to see if it would engage easier. But i doubt anything has changed on the bov so i didnt want to touch it.

yeah i got the turbosmart supersonic

Yeh i didnt mind the supersonic...it was a bit to Raspy for me. wanted more of a higher pitched psss...

the supersonic sounds more like a KSHHHH and the hks ssq morel like tssss

DLO01
13-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Well a bov is a very simple thing. If you have boost and have vacum and everything mechanically is operating, then it should be fine. Stumped. :(

FastFwd
13-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Well a bov is a very simple thing. If you have boost and have vacum and everything mechanically is operating, then it should be fine. Stumped. :(

yeh ns same...

i pulled it apart 3-4 times and tested a bunch of things to see if it was this seal or that seal and nothing working...

i still think the problem lies with the actual bov. But i cant see any faults with it.

DLO01
13-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Can you move the piston with you fingers smoothly? Like with a Tial 50mm bov you have can push the piston. Not sure on the access with the HKS.

FastFwd
13-10-2009, 01:32 PM
yeh you can easily push the piston back and forth and it glides smoothly...

This is the bov, im not really into the look of it but the sound and functionality is what i was after and it delivered nicely until it stopped working.

http://www.tbdevelopments.com/catalog/images/hks_ssqv.jpg

Limbo
13-10-2009, 01:40 PM
i rem they work the opposite to your normal bov, but i can't rem what it was exactly

FastFwd
13-10-2009, 01:55 PM
i rem they work the opposite to your normal bov, but i can't rem what it was exactly

Yeh they are a little different in function to a normal bov that just opens and closes. But the setup is exactly the same. problem is with the HKS bov's is they use a special clamp fitting so i cant test another bov on it to see if its the vac etc or the actual bov.

I have another bov i could use also but i cant cos of that clap style connection.

FastFwd
13-10-2009, 01:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poJxBm8z6RE

This is the Bov sound on b series DA9 turbo

Limbo
13-10-2009, 02:04 PM
i wanted one before also cos the noise was cool, but i got the turbosmart cos i could plumb back

FastFwd
13-10-2009, 02:06 PM
i wanted one before also cos the noise was cool, but i got the turbosmart cos i could plumb back

I very rarely use the bov...it stopped working a while ago so i just clamped the Vac line so it wouldn't engage and left it like that until now.

DLO01
13-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Are you getting Flutter since the bov has not been working?

FastFwd
13-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Are you getting Flutter since the bov has not been working?

yes which i love :) but ive been told by turbotech that its not great for turbo's running over 10psi without a bov. Im running 10psi atm so i thought i might try and get it working now.

DLO01
13-10-2009, 05:53 PM
What I'm saying is that since your bov is not working are you getting more flutter?

A working bov is supposed to eliminate flutter and as you said stop pressure on the turbo shaft.

FastFwd
13-10-2009, 05:58 PM
What I'm saying is that since your bov is not working are you getting more flutter?

A working bov is supposed to eliminate flutter and as you said stop pressure on the turbo shaft.

yeh i do get flutter..alot of it. like i said i love the sound :)

but yeh its not great for the turbo.

bloodsword27
13-10-2009, 10:31 PM
take off the little hose that goes to the bov whilst the car is running. the revs should drop as the ECU detects an air leak (unless u have aftermarket ecu and tuned on MAP). if drops, and then back to normal wen u stick it back on, then bov stuffd more than likely. if nothing happens wen u pull it off (std ecu, running afm) then something along the line of the hose is restricting airflow eg clamped between somethng or leak

btw gimme *useful post* thingo so that i can go into the trading forum (cant get in for some reason)

lookingforboost
14-10-2009, 09:53 AM
hey man strange thing you have happing there, i8 have a SSQ here with the same clamp if you were close i would let you borrow it to see if its the bov but in saying that ppl with that turbo say that the bov dosent go off untilll higher rpm or higher boost.

i gave up changing bov's after 4 different ones and 3 different vac lines on the 180 when it wouldnt go off so i left the flutter :P sounds better anyway

FastFwd
14-10-2009, 10:42 AM
take off the little hose that goes to the bov whilst the car is running. the revs should drop as the ECU detects an air leak (unless u have aftermarket ecu and tuned on MAP). if drops, and then back to normal wen u stick it back on, then bov stuffd more than likely. if nothing happens wen u pull it off (std ecu, running afm) then something along the line of the hose is restricting airflow eg clamped between somethng or leak

btw gimme *useful post* thingo so that i can go into the trading forum (cant get in for some reason)

sorry to be blunt dude but your comment was far from useful. This has to be the most primitive way of checking that your vac line is actually working. And yes i do have an aftermarket ECU, and it doesn't make a difference really. AFM - lols its a B series honda motor dude.

Also like i said in my previous posts ive explained that ive tried different vac lines and sizes to test so clamping, or blocked lines are not the case.

FastFwd
14-10-2009, 10:46 AM
hey man strange thing you have happing there, i8 have a SSQ here with the same clamp if you were close i would let you borrow it to see if its the bov but in saying that ppl with that turbo say that the bov dosent go off untilll higher rpm or higher boost.

i gave up changing bov's after 4 different ones and 3 different vac lines on the 180 when it wouldnt go off so i left the flutter :P sounds better anyway

Yeah man very very strange. I cant figure it out really. I think i might have to pull apart the bov again. Im almost sure there was nothing wrong with it. The little piston rod felt nice and smooth. Before i cleaned it there was a little bit of dust in there but i cleaned that up. Just dont know...

Yeh i love the flutter way more to but ill be boosting it up to 20+ pound soon and its not really that great for the turbo running that pressure back through the turbo on release.

Limbo
15-10-2009, 11:04 AM
i have heard of the HKS ones dying at times for no reason when i was researching BOVs

FastFwd
15-10-2009, 12:12 PM
dam...yer im gonna pull it apart this weekend see if i missed anything.

Limbo
15-10-2009, 02:53 PM
lol mine is only a spring and a piston, not much parts to play with.
I lubed mine up with engine oil

FastFwd
15-10-2009, 03:43 PM
lol mine is only a spring and a piston, not much parts to play with.
I lubed mine up with engine oil

Yeh previous bovs like the turbo smart ones are soo easy to pull apart. Just screw the top off and it all comes apart. The HKS has about 15-20 allan key bolts in it.

And pulling it off and on the intercooler piping is a b1tch. not to sure if you knwo what i mean but they are held down by those cer-clip type washer deal. Mission to remove and put back on.

lookingforboost
15-10-2009, 08:54 PM
yeah lol i had a removable pipe section i so i never had to take it off the adapter :P

i actully think it might be a thing with that turbo man caz a few other ppl have had the same sorta thing happen running that turbo on a few different cars ???

blommer
16-10-2009, 02:10 AM
most aftermarket bovs have harder spring rates in them as they vent out on slightly higer psi.
Turbocharged cars like wrx, skyline etc all run on at least 1bar from factory and that is why the bov vents out.
Forced-induced hondas are running way lesser than a bar, hence it might seem the bov is not working as it needs higher boost to vent off??
Just my opinion...

seihoa
16-10-2009, 07:46 AM
most aftermarket bovs have harder spring rates in them as they vent out on slightly higer psi.
Turbocharged cars like wrx, skyline etc all run on at least 1bar from factory and that is why the bov vents out.
Forced-induced hondas are running way lesser than a bar, hence it might seem the bov is not working as it needs higher boost to vent off??
Just my opinion...

Most turbocharged nissans run only 7-8psi from factory....

WRX and EVOs on the other hand run close to a bar.

Also with the hks ssqv you wouldnt need to build much pressure for it to vent even with jst 2-3 psi u can hear it slighty venting already.

Limbo
16-10-2009, 10:23 AM
yeah man i know what you mean i help a friend remove one from his car also.
He put his stock ones back in for the long weekend LOL

Yeh previous bovs like the turbo smart ones are soo easy to pull apart. Just screw the top off and it all comes apart. The HKS has about 15-20 allan key bolts in it.

And pulling it off and on the intercooler piping is a b1tch. not to sure if you knwo what i mean but they are held down by those cer-clip type washer deal. Mission to remove and put back on.

BTW... factory turbos are generally 6PSI

albii
20-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Just my opinion...

1 bar is 14.7 psi ..no way...Rex runs about 11 12.
The bov on factory turbo cars are always plumb back and requiure hardly any spring tension to operate.
If you vent the factory bov to atmosphere it would leak and cause the car to idle rough and it wouldnt hold much boost plus it would cause excessively rich mixtures.
My guess is that the spring tension has not been set right. That's right , even your bov needs to be calibrated and tuned for optimum operating performance.

FastFwd
21-10-2009, 11:02 AM
1 bar is 14.7 psi ..no way...Rex runs about 11 12.
The bov on factory turbo cars are always plumb back and requiure hardly any spring tension to operate.
If you vent the factory bov to atmosphere it would leak and cause the car to idle rough and it wouldnt hold much boost plus it would cause excessively rich mixtures.
My guess is that the spring tension has not been set right. That's right , even your bov needs to be calibrated and tuned for optimum operating performance.

You are right about the 1 bar and the rex stock psi but not all stock cars have a bov. Earlier models of of the sr20 red top didnt come with bov's. all the old turbo rotarys didnt come with bov's.

Yes if the bov leeks to the atmosphere it wont cause much issue you will just loose pressure and it might throw out your fuel mixtures a little but for either having a bov plumback or not doesnt make a difference.

Also the standard hks ssqv doesnt have spring sets or an adjustment so its already suited for 90% of turbo's on the market. I went from a gt2860r, to gt28rs to gt2871r and all turbo's ran fine with this bov until i got to the gt2871r and these turbo sizes arnt much different. Just to confirm i installed the same bov and same turbo on my gf's s15 and it runs fine. Yeh the difference is a sr20 but just to let everyone know we are rulling out the turbo size change here because i know this bov works with turbo's as small as t25 and as big as gt40 because i have applied it to most of these turbos myself.

A-man
21-10-2009, 09:33 PM
back to topic did u fix it yet?
can u hook ur boost gauge up to the bov line and make sure the line isnt blocked from the inside

FastFwd
22-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Yeh ive checked that with an old manual guage i have and the lines working fine.

A-man
22-10-2009, 10:33 AM
just had a thought just check that the pipe its bolted on doesnt have any sharp edges or something. with mine i had problems with the bov sitting to far into the pipe and then it would get caught on the pipe and not the sleeve of the bov. i just filed the pipe, and it came good.

but i remember now the similar problem everything works but it gets caught on a bit of swarf or something

check that to

FastFwd
22-10-2009, 10:39 AM
swarf?

DLO01
22-10-2009, 12:29 PM
swarf?......

Swarf, also known as turnings, chips, or filings, are shavings and chippings of metal — the debris or waste resulting from metalwork operations.

FastFwd
22-10-2009, 12:33 PM

aka metal grids...

Swarf - never heard that used before.

A-man
22-10-2009, 02:15 PM
u would if u were in the industry.... its a common term

but check the pipe it bolts to make sure that that has no debris/swarf whatever to interfere with the operation of the bov sounds silly but it happened to me, it made mine a little tardy

FastFwd
22-10-2009, 02:18 PM
urs a hks ssqv ?

A-man
22-10-2009, 02:26 PM
nah its an ebay one before the flaming starts for using one. i have the brains to get them to work properly. this also includes the whole kit, mines proof that some do work

FastFwd
22-10-2009, 02:35 PM
A-man ive had the kit and mine worked awesome and i said the same thing until 6 month later....u'll see.

A-man
22-10-2009, 02:37 PM
mines been on there for over a yr now.. its off the road for cams, and springs. ill keep adding to i break it thats y i did it in the first place. like most people do. but were not here to argue bout the quality of sweat shop built turbos.

FastFwd
22-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Nah i did the same man...im not arguing but like im just speaking from experience. The only problems i had with the kit was the BOV leaked 1 week after install, the exhaust manifold started cracking 6 months in up until 1 year where it fell apart and the turbo seal blew a bit over a year of use.

I havent got anything left from the original kit and it served its perpose but if i was to ever to the process again or if i could rewind to the past i would have bought quality from the start.

But we all learn from our mistakes.

i dont think its a swarf, i cleaned out the cooler pipe when i removed the bov...

Im soo lost hey all i can think it can be is the the mechanical side in the bov but i pulled it appart and it all seamed to be clean and moving fine.

A-man
22-10-2009, 05:23 PM
i sent u a pm.

i agree with all of that bout the kit but ive beefed mine up, execpt u cant do anythin bout the turbo i guess but ill cross that rd when i get there. plus value for money my kit cost 800 delivered, which includes piping, t bar clamps, silicon joiners, vacumn lines, gate, intercooler, etc. etc. if u look at the price of just that stuff it starts creeping up to 800 anyways. thats the way i saw it anyways

can u put some pics up

FastFwd
22-10-2009, 05:33 PM
i sent u a pm.

i agree with all of that bout the kit but ive beefed mine up, execpt u cant do anythin bout the turbo i guess but ill cross that rd when i get there. plus value for money my kit cost 800 delivered, which includes piping, t bar clamps, silicon joiners, vacumn lines, gate, intercooler, etc. etc. if u look at the price of just that stuff it starts creeping up to 800 anyways. thats the way i saw it anyways

can u put some pics up

Yeh man i also had some issues with the gate but that was after like 2 years and i just cleaned it up and it fixed it. Got stuck once.

Yeh i got mine for 1000 delivered 4+ years ago with a gt35/40 Fakey.

Everything was great for 6 months. Ran like a dream.

I did the same as you tho, Replaced stuff as it failed. Eventually i ended up with that kit completely off my car but i guess it gave me a good template.

FastFwd
22-10-2009, 05:34 PM
btw what would u like pics off? bov etc?

when i pull it off ill pull the bov completely appart and take some detailed pics, and ill show you my vac setup line and cooler piping.

A-man
22-10-2009, 08:07 PM
yeh all that stuff