PDA

View Full Version : torque dampers

SHU-ES1
14-10-2009, 06:06 PM
hello all,

i was just wandering if torque dampers make much difference? and if anyone has one installed, and what are their opinions/feedback on these devices? any feedback is appreciated.

cheers.

Riced_Civic
14-10-2009, 07:42 PM
ill tell u in a weeks time

bbds
14-10-2009, 07:57 PM
dont get one waste of $$

cupnoodle
14-10-2009, 08:33 PM
ingalls torque damper, best $200 i've spent on my car

world of difference

aaronng
14-10-2009, 08:39 PM
hello all,

i was just wandering if torque dampers make much difference? and if anyone has one installed, and what are their opinions/feedback on these devices? any feedback is appreciated.

cheers.

What are you trying to do with your car? No point unless you want to do redline full throttle hard fast shifting.

Riced_Civic
15-10-2009, 05:54 AM
tony ur bro is right theres no point for u as u may never track you car and it will make it pointless. just an expensive piece of bling

cupnoodle
15-10-2009, 07:56 AM
My opinion of the Ingalls torque damper is that it gives my car more throttle response, it definitely accelerates a lot harder and the engine sounds much nicer.

I've never taken my car to the track and never plan to. The difference is night and day, even as a daily drive

SHU-ES1
15-10-2009, 08:34 AM
i just want to make the car feel more responsive to me when im driving it hard. i know its not a power house, i just want it to feel like one! lol.

cupnoodle
15-10-2009, 08:55 AM
i just want to make the car feel more responsive to me when im driving it hard. i know its not a power house, i just want it to feel like one! lol.

Definitely worth it in my opinion. I personally feel that my car accelerates harder and it's not only my own butt dyno. My brother said exactly the same thing when he drove it. The RPM needle just flies! The engine is (and SOUNDS) a completely different beast when you vtec it.

At ~$200, it'll be one of the cheaper mods you can buy for your car.

Riced_Civic
15-10-2009, 10:00 AM
i dont see how the damper changes the sound of the car, the reason ur needle is flying is due to wheel spin (if in 1st Gear).

dampers are suppose to give smoother gear changes, put power to the ground and take stress of the joints when hard shifting

Limbo
15-10-2009, 11:06 AM
helped in my car. My rear engine mount was broken at the time and i put one in, it helped stop the motor moving and the car didn't hop as much.

I got a cheapy for like $100, easier than fixing the rear mount at the time, but after i did all my mounts + energy suspension it was great.

cupnoodle
15-10-2009, 11:18 AM
i dont see how the damper changes the sound of the car, the reason ur needle is flying is due to wheel spin (if in 1st Gear).

dampers are suppose to give smoother gear changes, put power to the ground and take stress of the joints when hard shifting

I don't know how it works. My cabin is much more rough, and the engine is a lot louder throughout the whole rev range.

rob1000
15-10-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't know how it works. My cabin is much more rough, and the engine is a lot louder throughout the whole rev range.

I thought it would smooth out any engine vibration coming through to the cabin? :/

cupnoodle
15-10-2009, 12:27 PM
really? maybe i installed it wrong? i thought the point of a torque damper was to transfer the engine movement to the chassis? hence a more study engine

DEMON83
15-10-2009, 01:41 PM
engine damper is best only if ur like driveing hard, will also help to preserve normal engine mounts. However best mod to do is upgraded engine mounts ie Hassport, Spoon or Inivation. all depend on budget and how hard core u want to go. Engine damper is good bang for ur buck!

TheSaint
15-10-2009, 01:43 PM
engine torque damper will make in cabin noise and feel rougher ... it transffers the vibrations from the engine into the cabin

it is better to upgrade ur engine mounts 1st if you are buying it for track reasons, but for a nice bit of bling that makes the car more responsive than a torque damper is the way to go

is there a kit floating around for EG(D15b7)? where can u get these 'cheapies' you speak of?

rob1000
15-10-2009, 01:47 PM
really? maybe i installed it wrong? i thought the point of a torque damper was to transfer the engine movement to the chassis? hence a more study engine

Hmm i dunno i just thought the point of having a shock/dampener there is well, just that ... to *dampen* the shock and vibration coming from the motor. If your absorbing that energy and keeping the engine stable then your not wasting HP on engine vibration. I see what you mean about having the chassis absorb the shock but if that was the case you might aswell just bolt the engine straight to the chassis there'd be no point in dampening anything?? :)

TheSaint
15-10-2009, 04:03 PM
BEFORE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5u_rq7TlR8&feature=related

AFTER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTnVWLR_ABE&feature=related

will the ones on ebay from USA work on AUS cars?
example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250473269495&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

beeza
15-10-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm still Love mine!

Awesome product!

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102378

aaronng
15-10-2009, 06:42 PM
I thought it would smooth out any engine vibration coming through to the cabin? :/

No, that is not what a torque damper is for. A torque damper reduces engine movement during hard acceleration and shifting. The movement is transferred to the chassis. It will feel rough and transmit vibration into the cabin.

Hmm i dunno i just thought the point of having a shock/dampener there is well, just that ... to *dampen* the shock and vibration coming from the motor. If your absorbing that energy and keeping the engine stable then your not wasting HP on engine vibration. I see what you mean about having the chassis absorb the shock but if that was the case you might aswell just bolt the engine straight to the chassis there'd be no point in dampening anything?? :)
Bolting the engine straight to the chassis using solid mounts would be the best for track, but would be uncomfortable for street. The torque damper is a compromise.

rob1000
15-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Bolting the engine straight to the chassis using solid mounts would be the best for track, but would be uncomfortable for street. The torque damper is a compromise.

ahh righto makes sense cheers :)

Mugen Civic
15-10-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm still Love mine!

Awesome product!

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102378

Nice, were did you get this?

Edit: no worries, just read the whole thread and you got it off a member

beeza
16-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah,honestly,just do it and if you dont like it,sell it.No probs.

I reckon every application is different and every person is different.

1 will hate it,1 will love it.

SHU-ES1
16-10-2009, 02:50 PM
thanks for all the input guys, so it does transfer more power to the wheels that we generally lose through engine jerk/vibration? i don't mind spending a bit, if it will benefit me a little. i've already got these really stiff hangers for my exhaust, so i'm feeling the whole car vibrate a little while driving. a little more won't make much difference if this is the case with the damper. is there a trader that sells dampers for all vehicles? and a distributor that sells engine mounts on here?

cupnoodle
16-10-2009, 04:08 PM
I got mine from Ebay (import_auto_performance). It's from the US, i had it shipped via FedEx and received it within 3 business days

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/import_auto_performance/

Riced_Civic
16-10-2009, 04:17 PM
thanks for all the input guys, so it does transfer more power to the wheels that we generally lose through engine jerk/vibration? i don't mind spending a bit, if it will benefit me a little. i've already got these really stiff hangers for my exhaust, so i'm feeling the whole car vibrate a little while driving. a little more won't make much difference if this is the case with the damper. is there a trader that sells dampers for all vehicles? and a distributor that sells engine mounts on here?

HAHAHA tony good luck finding anything for our cars in Aust, get the stuff from the US as the $$$ is good atm. look at pasword jdm for engine mounts if u do decide to get a set tell me cos im up for sum solid mounts.

ive already got my damper sent, u should have asked me a week earlier, could have got a package deal

TheSaint
16-10-2009, 04:21 PM
I got mine from Ebay (import_auto_performance). It's from the US, i had it shipped via FedEx and received it within 3 business days

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/import_auto_performance/

wierd ... i asked the sellers on ebay if they would fit AUS cars and they sed no =/

cupnoodle
16-10-2009, 05:44 PM
wierd ... i asked the sellers on ebay if they would fit AUS cars and they sed no =/

i think they're just covering their own asses, just confirm the part numbers

i bought the #93000 for the 2002-2004 RSX Type S and it fits fine on my DC5R

SHU-ES1
16-10-2009, 06:05 PM
yo dan! can you link the guy you bought your damper off via pm bud? i think innovative make mounts for us but i couldn't find a seller off ebay unless you know where to get them.

TheSaint
26-10-2009, 02:27 PM
if someone finds one (cheap) for a D-series EG pls let me know =)

SHU-ES1
26-10-2009, 06:07 PM
have you tried ebay saint?

TheSaint
27-10-2009, 01:38 AM

it only returns USA results

Riced_Civic
27-10-2009, 05:09 AM
well its good to get stuff from the US atm as the $ is strong

TheSaint
27-10-2009, 07:51 PM
yes but ther engines are also mounted differently to ours =(

aaronng
27-10-2009, 09:25 PM
yes but ther engines are also mounted differently to ours =(

Depends on the car. I am using a torque damper for the US version of my car.

Riced_Civic
28-10-2009, 01:22 PM
yeah i just got my damper from the US and it fits fine