PDA

View Full Version : Jazz GE VTi service

SiR
14-10-2009, 08:05 PM
hey everyone....

just got a question re: servicing for you guys. the jazz ge vti is a couple of months old and fast approaching 5k kms. i know the first service isn't until 10k, but i'd love to give it its first oil change at 5k since its new and all.

don't particularly want to be charged an arm and leg by the dealer and was thinking of taking it to a private mechanic like Hanny's for instance.

my question is, will this void the new car warranty. if not now, maybe later down the track? just covering my bases here cos I don't want any warranty issues i.e. the dealer saying that because the car had been serviced at X, they did something to do the car which then led to this problem thus the problem will not be covered under warranty.

any thoughts guys?

thanks.

jords
14-10-2009, 08:07 PM
It wont void your warranty. change the oil and make no record of it in your service book.

did you get the first service done at the Honda dealership?

SiR
14-10-2009, 08:37 PM
hey jords...

no mate, the car hasn't had its first service yet....it's only done close to 5000 km - the first service isn't due until 10,000 km.

let me put it this way. i want regular service to be done at my own mechanic, like Hanny's. if something needs to be done/replaced/repaired under warranty, i'll take it back to the dealer. best of both worlds. but i have a feeling it won't be that simple and I'd love to be proven wrong.

rossw
14-10-2009, 08:49 PM
hey jords...

no mate, the car hasn't had its first service yet....it's only done close to 5000 km - the first service isn't due until 10,000 km.

let me put it this way. i want regular service to be done at my own mechanic, like Hanny's. if something needs to be done/replaced/repaired under warranty, i'll take it back to the dealer. best of both worlds. but i have a feeling it won't be that simple and I'd love to be proven wrong.

You can have your car serviced by any qualified mechanic and Honda must honour the warranty as long as the servicing has been carried out in accordance with the schedule. There is provision in the schedule for additional servicing to be carried out if the car is subjected to "extreme" usage (lots of short trips or towing, for example) and having this done shouldn't void your warranty.

Having said that, I have had my Jazz VTi serviced at 10,000 and 20,000 by my local Honda dealer, and it cost around $170 for the first one and $200 or so for the second (they replaced the filters at this one, including the pollen filter.

I've heard all the stories about expensive dealer servicing, but those amounts compare favourably with what my previous mechanic charged for my Magna.

betjai
14-10-2009, 09:39 PM
For services 10,000 or at 5,000 if you wish, its just changing engine oil.
If you trust your own mechanic and you know what new engine oil he's going to use, then go to your own mechanic, its most likely it's going to be cheaper.

Service done according to the schedule won't harm your warranty! Besides, 5000km isn't in the schedule, so it won't affect anything

I did my 10,000 server at my local mechanic, $80

SiR
15-10-2009, 11:30 PM
You can have your car serviced by any qualified mechanic and Honda must honour the warranty as long as the servicing has been carried out in accordance with the schedule. There is provision in the schedule for additional servicing to be carried out if the car is subjected to "extreme" usage (lots of short trips or towing, for example) and having this done shouldn't void your warranty.

Having said that, I have had my Jazz VTi serviced at 10,000 and 20,000 by my local Honda dealer, and it cost around $170 for the first one and $200 or so for the second (they replaced the filters at this one, including the pollen filter.

I've heard all the stories about expensive dealer servicing, but those amounts compare favourably with what my previous mechanic charged for my Magna.

thanks for the info., very helpful :thumbsup:

fundies
16-10-2009, 01:31 PM
You could do it yourself and not tell Honda.

richy b
28-10-2009, 04:48 PM
you could get it changed, but, they prob would know. i work for honda, and we can usually tell if a customer has changed their oil at 5000kms give or take. the washer somtimes appears "bonded" to the plug, and, is at at certain torque setting, so after loosening hundreds of cars, you sorta know....

fundies
30-10-2009, 02:40 PM
you could get it changed, but, they prob would know. i work for honda, and we can usually tell if a customer has changed their oil at 5000kms give or take. the washer somtimes appears "bonded" to the plug, and, is at at certain torque setting, so after loosening hundreds of cars, you sorta know....

Would that be a jailable offence ?