PDA

View Full Version : Creaking clutch pedal [Euro]

Pages : 1 [2] 3

EuroDude
04-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Bit off topic - Does the Euro's have a Clutch Safety switch?

(A switch that disables the starter motor if the clutch isn't pressed in if in a gear)

EuroAccord13
04-02-2007, 03:35 AM
Bit off topic - Does the Euro's have a Clutch Safety switch?

(A switch that disables the starter motor if the clutch isn't pressed in if in a gear)

No it doesn't....

aaronng
04-02-2007, 11:05 AM
^^ yeah, because Australia doesn't require it according to ADR. The USA needs that and therefore the TSX does.

Chris_F
08-02-2007, 08:07 PM
well my clutch creak came back again, it definitely seems to be a problem with the release bearing... it was greased a couple of weeks ago and was fine but slowly started back up again.

looks like the gearbox is comming off again... happy days :P

EuroAccord13
09-02-2007, 01:39 AM
Aaron.. less than 3 weeks on after u squirted the cylinder, the creak is back... I'm on the same boat with you Chris! I think your car and mine suffering the most from this!! !! !! !! !!

tony1234
09-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Aaron.. less than 3 weeks on after u squirted the cylinder, the creak is back... I'm on the same boat with you Chris! I think your car and mine suffering the most from this!! !! !! !! !!
Seems like the 04s tend to suffer from this problem.I've got an 06 with 13k and no problems(so far!!!)

EuroDude
09-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Seems like the euro doesnt like gearbox/clutch mods. I'll keep mine stock I think ;)

aaronng
09-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Master cylinder replacement time!

Chris_F
09-02-2007, 08:41 AM
honestly i think exedy just sent out a faulty release bearing or there was a problem with the installation that caused it to wear prematurely. I can't be 100% certain but mid next week I'll know for sure.

My master cylinder/slave cylinder dont seem to be the problem here

JasonGilholme
09-02-2007, 08:46 AM
so which release bearing are you using??? The exedy one or the OEM one?? Would it be possible to use the oem one or vise versa??

Chris_F
09-02-2007, 08:48 AM
well exedy sent out an OEM one as part of the clutch kit... if the release bearing is the confirmed problem i'll be ordering one from honda though just to make sure.

I'm no expert but i have a feeling there must be some other reason that caused it fail prematurely and not a part fault. Maybe the release fork to throwout bearing clearance wasn't ideal? I'll just have to wait and see.

JasonGilholme
09-02-2007, 08:51 AM
could be. Definately get one from honda tho.

EuroDude
09-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Maybe replacing the Exedy clutch with the OEM honda one would fix the problem? Maybe the clutch specs/size is a bit problematic

Chris_F
09-02-2007, 09:09 AM
I guess that's a possibility but it shouldn't be the problem. If it is though I'm sure my workshop will help me out because it was installed upon their recommendation.

Chris_F
09-02-2007, 09:08 PM
after doing even more research on this topic I've read the following

"Most throwout bearings in modern cars are designed to spin all the time. Apparently there is more wear from spinning it up to speed all the time than to just keep it spinning. Older models were definitely not designed like this, though."

does anyone know if this holds true for the k series (or more to the point the k24?)

I have a feeling it may be true because when my throw out bearing was greased up all noises went away, even the slight grind/rattle on deceleration seemed to quieten down a bit and clutch operation felt good.

The gearbox is being dropped on Monday and the clutch assembly will be inspected for premature wear etc.

Just in case anyone is interested I'll keep posting with the progress I make RE this problem.

Cheers guys.

tony1234
09-02-2007, 09:12 PM
after doing even more research on this topic I've read the following

"Most throwout bearings in modern cars are designed to spin all the time. Apparently there is more wear from spinning it up to speed all the time than to just keep it spinning. Older models were definitely not designed like this, though."

does anyone know if this holds true for the k series (or more to the point the k24?)

I have a feeling it may be true because when my throw out bearing was greased up all noises went away, even the slight grind/rattle on deceleration seemed to quieten down a bit and clutch operation felt good.

The gearbox is being dropped on Monday and the clutch assembly will be inspected for premature wear etc.

Just in case anyone is interested I'll keep posting with the progress I make RE this problem.

Cheers guys.
That's int.Re:throwout bearing spinning all the time,never knew that!

JasonGilholme
09-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Maybe replacing the Exedy clutch with the OEM honda one would fix the problem? Maybe the clutch specs/size is a bit problematic

I'm not so sure about this. Theres been a fair few race teams that would have dfinately upgraded the clutch in the car. And the last thing they would want is an unreliable part on the car.

Chris: Maybe you should shoot an email to some race teams and see what they say in regards to the bearing in accordiance to aftermarket clutches. They might be able to shed some light on it, especially since your workshop recommended it.

J

Chris_F
09-02-2007, 09:15 PM
yea neither did I! I still can't confirm it 100% though as only 3-4 sources have stated it.

Atm the noise and problem is subtle but noticeable enough for action to be taken sooner rather than later..

Just gotta play the waiting game and hopefully when the box is dropped its an obvious problem... It'd suck to still be troubleshooting and hypothesizing at that stage lol

I'm not so sure about this. Theres been a fair few race teams that would have dfinately upgraded the clutch in the car. And the last thing they would want is an unreliable part on the car.

Chris: Maybe you should shoot an email to some race teams and see what they say in regards to the bearing in accordiance to aftermarket clutches. They might be able to shed some light on it, especially since your workshop recommended it.

J

If dropping the box fails to reveal the problem lol i just might do that...

just out of interest here's a quote from another source abou the release bearing

"The throw-out bearing is in contact with the fingers of the clutch cover on most all late model cars with self-adjusting clutches. If you have a clicking noise it could be caused by a bad t/o brg. or by the fingers on the clutch cover not being all the same height and the t/o brg. is rattling due to that but not actually itself bad. The clutch being released does not let the t/o brg. stop turning like it used to on older cars whre you had to adjust the hydraulic clutch. BTW, Volvo models with cable clutches built from 81 on have the t/o brg running against the clutch cover fingers even though it isn't a self-adjusting setup." (abe crombie, http://www.brickboard.com/ARCHIVES/1998MAR/10221.shtml)

EuroDude
09-02-2007, 09:28 PM
@Chris, maybe the gearbox and clutch area just needs a good recondition. Not sure about ur driving habits, but a heavy duty clutch dumped more than often would surely put the other components under excess stress.

btw my clutch has started creaking again only after greasing it a few weeks ago. Hopefully my dealer will have the new clutch bulletin and apply it to mine. Greasing the master Cylinder every month is not in the maintenance schedule :p

Its quite surprising a 200x honda less than a year old has this issue especially since the EG Civics had the same problem (well mine did anyway). Maybe it simply doesnt get as humid in Japan as like here and the current design is reliable over there.

Chris_F
09-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Definitely a valid point but I'm actually pretty gentle with the clutch, and the clutch material is only a slight upgrade over standard, it's not a button clutch or anything just an organic compound. But like I said nothing is for certain untill the box is off and it can be inspected.

Not sure if I've mentioned it in this thread before but AP racing manufactures after market clutch master and slave cylinders to suit most applications. The next time mine start playing up that's what I'll be looking into.

The Australian conditions are def. pretty harsh

J-TODA
10-02-2007, 08:27 AM
farrrr jst got my car bak....same problem =[ ...annoying =[

Euro1011
13-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Hearing all this problems about creaking clutch, now my car is having the same problem. Rang the Honda dealer and they say my VIN number is not within the range specified in the bulletin but the will diagnose the problem. What I think is they will probably grease it and say all is ok.

Chris_F
13-02-2007, 04:01 PM
i wonder if the creaking problem would still occur if the master cylinder was lubed up every now and then before the problem arose?

maybe itll stop the seals from going bad? (or whatever is happening)

EuroDude
13-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Yeh its best to grease it up asap when it happens, or grease it up anyway even if u dont hear the noise. Its kindof like an engine Cylinder I guess, if it doesnt get oiled, it can do damage.

Anyone have a copy of the new bulletin yet?

Euro1011
13-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah would be good if anyone has the new bulletin because the dealer told me the bulletin they have is old and my VIN number does not fall in the range specified.
Probably try to contact Honda Aust.

tony1234
13-02-2007, 06:36 PM
How many of you on this site with06 models are having this "creaking"clutch problem?

J-TODA
13-02-2007, 06:40 PM
How many of you on this site with06 models are having this "creaking"clutch problem?

i do jst noticed.... but seems to be going away or mayb gettin used to it??? ummm im goann get it checkd up on my 10k service coming up....

EuroDude
13-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Yep mine does, and I bet the MY07's will have the same problem too despite the new bulletin

Miss_GTI
13-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Sooo.... what happened to the "bulletin"? I think I may have this problem too, but I never brought it up as an issue when getting the Euro serviced. It's now past its warranty tho.. :(

aday
14-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Sooo.... what happened to the "bulletin"?

My dealer is still waiting on the bulletin from Honda. They're going to call me to book my car in as soon as it arrives, but it's been over two weeks since they first mentioned it to me (and told me it'd be out that week).

EuroAccord13
14-02-2007, 04:03 PM
My creak miraculously disappeared today and I was soooo happy... for a while... Blaaaaaaarrrrrrdy thing came back on the way home LOL!

Euro1011
14-02-2007, 04:17 PM
My creak miraculously disappeared today and I was soooo happy... for a while... Blaaaaaaarrrrrrdy thing came back on the way home LOL!

Lol...oops i shouldn't laugh coz mine's creaking too. We'll see what happens when i take the car in next friday. Wonder if an aftermarket clutch will fix the damn creak.

aaronng
14-02-2007, 04:36 PM

LOL, lube it up again man. Or get it replaced.

EuroDude
14-02-2007, 05:48 PM

lol thats what happens to mine. Creaking one day, silent the next.

It mainly depends on the temperature and humidity of the weather - it gets really bad on rainy humid days

EuroAccord13
15-02-2007, 05:32 AM
My Warranty will officially run out on Saturday... :(...

Ah well.....

tony1234
15-02-2007, 06:26 AM
My Euro is 8mths.old with 13k.I pray i don't get this creaking clutch,it sounds like it's a real pain.:(

EuroDude
15-02-2007, 08:16 AM
My Warranty will officially run out on Saturday... :(...

Ah well.....

quick buy an extra 3yrs extended warranty ;) Although it will be quite expensive for u now

EuroDude
15-02-2007, 08:18 AM
My Euro is 8mths.old with 13k.I pray i don't get this creaking clutch,it sounds like it's a real pain.:(

I'll be very surprised if you dont get it sooner or later. You could avoid it by spraying the master cylinder once a month

aaronng
15-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Mine lasts about 9-12 months per spray.

tony1234
15-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Mine lasts about 9-12 months per spray.
aaron.Do you grease up your M/C yourself or do you get dealer to do it.Is it easy to do yourself.:)

aaronng
15-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Hi Tony! I don't grease it up, I use a silicone spray. And yeah, I do it myself using a thin clear tube to direct it into the master cylinder.

Chris_F
15-02-2007, 09:37 AM
^ Aaron, how often do you have to lube it up these days to stop it from comming back? do the intervals get longer or shorter?

tony1234
15-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Hi Tony! I don't grease it up, I use a silicone spray. And yeah, I do it myself using a thin clear tube to direct it into the master cylinder.
I'll get you to show me when we catch up re:stratches Sat week if that's allright..............Thanks.:)

tony1234
15-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Hopefully if i get onto it BEFORE it starts creaking i wont have the problem.:thumbsup:

tron07
15-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Hey, do include me if you guys meet up...

aaronng
15-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Hopefully if i get onto it BEFORE it starts creaking i wont have the problem.:thumbsup:

Hmm, I haven't tried it as a preventative. Only as a bandaid solution :)

aaronng
15-02-2007, 10:23 AM
^ Aaron, how often do you have to lube it up these days to stop it from comming back? do the intervals get longer or shorter?

It's slightly shorter I reckon. Last I lubed was in mid-January. I'll post here when my creak comes back.

Chris_F
15-02-2007, 10:34 AM
ok cool

I'm just going to lightly spray mine every few months to try and stop the problem all together

maybe if the rubber is kept well lubed no damage and recurring creak will ever happen?

who knows

tony1234
15-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Aaron.I've got this stuff from Wurth called HHS 2000.It's in a spray can and what it does is it sprays from the can in liquid form(for good penetration) then turns to a greasy film in approx.10-15 secs.It says on can"resistant to high pressures and with high adhesive strength.Colour transparent."I reckon this is worth a go!!I'll bring it with me Sat.week.:thumbsup:

Euro1011
15-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Aaron.I've got this stuff from Wurth called HHS 2000.It's in a spray can and what it does is it sprays from the can in liquid form(for good penetration) then turns to a greasy film in approx.10-15 secs.It says on can"resistant to high pressures and with high adhesive strength.Colour transparent."I reckon this is worth a go!!I'll bring it with me Sat.week.:thumbsup:

Where is Wurth? I'm in Perth. If this spray works for the creaking clutch, then I'm tempted to purchase it. Gotta wait and see next week if the dealer goin to fix the creaking clutch

aaronng
15-02-2007, 11:55 AM

Hmm, haven't tried that. Not sure if it will cause damage to the master cylinder's rubber seals. That's the reason why I chose the silicone spray, it doesn't attack rubber.

tony1234
15-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Hmm, haven't tried that. Not sure if it will cause damage to the master cylinder's rubber seals. That's the reason why I chose the silicone spray, it doesn't attack rubber.
I don't think this stuff attacks rubber.It's not sold over the counter retail.It's sold wholesale to workshops only apparently.:zip:

aaronng
15-02-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't think this stuff attacks rubber.It's not sold over the counter retail.It's sold wholesale to workshops only apparently.:zip:

Yup, all of Wurth's products are not sold retail.

EuroAccord13
16-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Maybe I should try WURTH... I can get them :D

aaronng
16-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Maybe I should try WURTH... I can get them :D

I'm in for a bottle of spray on grease and a tube of antisieze.

EuroAccord13
16-02-2007, 03:42 AM
I'm in for a bottle of spray on grease and a tube of antisieze.

Give G a better price for your detailing service and you might even get it FREE LOL....

tony1234
16-02-2007, 05:14 AM
I'd be surprised if this HHS 2000 doesn't fix the creaking clutch problem.A mech.i know uses it on all sorts of squeaks inc.clutch & brake M/C. and he reckons it's :thumbsup:

eccentric
08-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Damn! The car i'm looking at purchasing has a creaky clutch!

Lucky I looked it up 'Things to look out for when buying a Euro' (aww love for ozhonda! haha) and this was one of the first things I checked! How annoying!

anyway.. its got 3 months left under factory warranty so hopefully this can be fixed.

aaronng
08-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Damn! The car i'm looking at purchasing has a creaky clutch!

Lucky I looked it up 'Things to look out for when buying a Euro' (aww love for ozhonda! haha) and this was one of the first things I checked! How annoying!

anyway.. its got 3 months left under factory warranty so hopefully this can be fixed.

Yeah, get it covered under warranty. I'd also consider getting the Honda extended 2 year warranty. Will help if you get the rarer problems like a dead A/C or the centre console LCD backlight failing. And that warranty is from Honda, so you can get work done at any dealer.

J-TODA
08-03-2007, 04:15 PM
welll jst got car back...after replacing clutch....still has creaking problem...uz guys find out what the problem is....goig to go service agn 2morow to get it checked...

aaronng
08-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Clutch master cylinder.

EuroDude
08-03-2007, 05:29 PM
welll jst got car back...after replacing clutch....still has creaking problem...uz guys find out what the problem is....goig to go service agn 2morow to get it checked...

U can just do it yourself dude. Buy some silicone or lithium grease from an Auto shop (supercheap/autoone/etc..) and spray for 1 second into the cylinder:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/431/euroclutchfixxz1.jpg

The dealer will do the same thing anyway..

aaronng
08-03-2007, 05:34 PM
U can just do it yourself dude. Buy some silicone or lithium grease from an Auto shop (supercheap/autoone/etc..) and spray for 1 second into the cylinder:

The dealer will do the same thing anyway..

If their lube fix doesn't work the first time, they will replace the master cylinder. So bring it to the dealer and let them do their fixes. The 2nd time you go back, complain that you want a permanent fix (or at least something that lasts longer than a few weeks)

ZEi20T
08-03-2007, 08:30 PM
ohh thanks for the pic! im gonna try that one

J-TODA
09-03-2007, 07:22 AM
ohhhhh ye dats what i fought it was when i was checking it out....LOl after i got my car back yesterday i went bak in 5mins Lol the guy said it was the seat.... i was wtf??? so ye prob go back 2day or something... =] fanx boys

Pumped
09-03-2007, 07:56 AM
mines developed this problem recently :(
gunna have to try the spray, if that doesnt fix it permanently i'll take it back to the dealer

J-TODA
09-03-2007, 08:28 AM
LOl arrong u got any off that good stuff LOL!!!??? haha care to share??? LOL! 2 cheap atm to go buy Lool

EuroDude
09-03-2007, 08:46 AM
u have a $35000 car and cant afford $10 of grease? lol just use some engine oil from the dip stick then :p

eccentric
09-03-2007, 10:26 AM
just a quick update guys,

the one i was/am purchasing with the creaky clutch was fixed.. they just greased it up.. if the problem is to occur again i hope its before my warranty expires!

o/t: i'm finalising the payment to day and should be ready for delivery tuesday/wednesday as i've been told.. so i can finally join the accord euro crew!

aaronng
09-03-2007, 10:35 AM

the one i was/am purchasing with the creaky clutch was fixed.. they just greased it up.. if the problem is to occur again i hope its before my warranty expires!

o/t: i'm finalising the payment to day and should be ready for delivery tuesday/wednesday as i've been told.. so i can finally join the accord euro crew!

Remember to transfer the warranty to your name and then get the extended warranty before the current 3 year warranty expires.

And note the date when you pick it up so if the creak comes back you can tell them how long the previous fix lasted. :)

eccentric
09-03-2007, 10:52 AM
cheers aaronng, are you a honda dealer or something you seem to be very knowledgeable hehe

aaronng
09-03-2007, 12:29 PM
cheers aaronng, are you a honda dealer or something you seem to be very knowledgeable hehe

Nope, I'm no dealer. I'm just a Honda owner with a list of possible problems on the Euro. And trust me, you don't want your A/C compressor failing or the centre console lights going off when you are out of warranty. For both these problems, they have to replace the entire unit and will cost over $1000.

EuroDude
09-03-2007, 12:45 PM
centre console lights going off when you are out of warranty. they have to replace the entire unit and will cost over $1000.

Surely u could fix it yourself, its probably just a loose connection or dry soldering joint ftw.

aaronng
09-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Surely u could fix it yourself, its probably just a loose connection or dry soldering joint ftw.

yeah, but it's INSIDE the unit. No way are you going to be disassembling the entire thing. Even the dealers can't disassemble it. That's why they replace the whole unit.

EuroAccord13
09-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Whoever wants to know anything about problems with the Euro.. I'm the man coz my Euro suffers from most of it!

Euro1011
09-03-2007, 06:32 PM
If their lube fix doesn't work the first time, they will replace the master cylinder. So bring it to the dealer and let them do their fixes. The 2nd time you go back, complain that you want a permanent fix (or at least something that lasts longer than a few weeks)

I take it the arrow pointing in the picture is the retractor spring??? That's what the dealer told me that they had to grease the retractor spring but somehow i can still feel and hear little bit of creaking.

Peekay34
09-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Mine has started to creak as well. I spoke to my Honda Service man and they said that the master cylinder for the clutch needs to be replaced the part on my car has been superceeded with an update it is a known issue. They are fitting it next week.

EuroAccord13
09-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Mine has started to creak as well. I spoke to my Honda Service man and they said that the master cylinder for the clutch needs to be replaced the part on my car has been superceeded with an update it is a known issue. They are fitting it next week.

Can u keep us updated on the "new" MC.... I hope they get it right this time....

J-TODA
10-03-2007, 12:51 AM
ye mines getting replaced as well...duno when it will b done thouigh service said will giv a call hopefully asap

Ferrarista
13-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Sorry aarong did it feel like you had a plastic wrapper stuck on the sole of your shoe?

I know its a funny thought but work with me here!

aaronng
13-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Sorry aarong did it feel like you had a plastic wrapper stuck on the sole of your shoe?

I know its a funny thought but work with me here!

Nope, it didn't feel nor sound like that. LOL. It's more like a funny pitched fart sound. LOL. It's the piston catching on the cylinder wall that makes the sound.

Peekay34
14-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Had my 20KM service done today they replaced the clutch master cylinder under warranty no issues and no noise anymore....:D :D

EuroAccord13
14-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Had my 20KM service done today they replaced the clutch master cylinder under warranty no issues and no noise anymore....:D :D

Was it with the updated MC?

Any changes to the part number?

Mine was replaces uber many times and still have the problem :(

EuroDude
15-03-2007, 01:08 PM

Dont worry, the noise will come back in a few months :p

Does it look exactly the same as the Master Cylinder in this pic?

aaronng
15-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Dont worry, the noise will come back in a few months :p

Does it look exactly the same as the Master Cylinder in this pic?

Haha, I don't think it would be a master cylinder if it didn't look that that. All you are seeing is less than 1/2 of it in that pic. The other 1/2 is on the other side of the firewall. :p Even a master cylinder from a different brand would look like the one in that pic!

EuroDude
15-03-2007, 07:10 PM
^ true dat :p, although it might be a different colour or slightly different shape/design ftw.

Sometimes manufacturers put a small dot or mark on the part so mechs can determine if the part is the updated model. Not sure if Honda does that tho

J-TODA
22-03-2007, 11:49 PM
jst got my car back 2day from dealers...creaking problem gone...master cyclinder replace...feels so great not having that irritating feel or sound =]]:D :thumbsup:

EuroAccord13
23-03-2007, 12:30 AM
jst got my car back 2day from dealers...creaking problem gone...master cyclinder replace...feels so great not having that irritating feel or sound =]]:D :thumbsup:

I felt the same way as you are now when I had mine replaced.... Lasted for only a few months before the problem came back in LOL!

J-TODA
23-03-2007, 01:00 AM
I felt the same way as you are now when I had mine replaced.... Lasted for only a few months before the problem came back in LOL!

hahhah geez man fanx for umm ruiniing my happineess Lol u get it replaced agn ?? or jst dealing wif it Lol

EuroAccord13
23-03-2007, 01:56 AM
This is my third MC now and still have the problem.....

aaronng
23-03-2007, 06:09 AM
USA is supposedly getting a new master cylinder part number. :) Version 3. hehe

tony1234
23-03-2007, 09:00 AM
I pray i dont get this problem.Ive got 15k now.

eccentric
02-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Damnit, I've got the problem back again 900km later.. Oh well, I guess it will need to be replaced!

tron07
02-04-2007, 02:08 PM

Since you are in Sydney, do join the Euro gathering.... :wave:

tron07
02-04-2007, 02:09 PM
I pray i dont get this problem.Ive got 15k now.

Hope the newer batch of Euro does not have this problem....

eccentric
17-04-2007, 02:13 PM
OMG!!

You guys won't believe what happened!! Well ever since the last post I've had the creaking clutch problem and yesterday out of nowhere the creak was gone! Even today!? It seems to have fixed itself up! haha.. is this a miracle or is something broken? It sounds too good to be true but yeah, the sound and the feeling of the creaking clutch seems to have completely disappeared!

Hooray for the Honda Gods! :P

EuroDude
17-04-2007, 02:37 PM
eccentric, no it comes and goes depending on the humidy and temperature.

It'll come back when it rains ;)

Spray some silicone grease in the master cylinder asap.

I sprayed some in mine weeks ago and its been freakin sweet ever since

eccentric
17-04-2007, 03:05 PM
EuroDude, that could be true as the weather has been abit weird lately raining and sunny

J-TODA
17-04-2007, 10:35 PM
ahhaha dont keep ur hopes up man....mine was like dat as well on and off...best to jst get it checked out and most likely replaced.....

EuroBro
21-06-2007, 06:05 PM
I just reached 30,000k's and I'm suffering with.... you guessed it a creaky friggn clutch! Going to dealer on Wednesday next week

aaronng
21-06-2007, 06:08 PM
I guess they haven't fixed the problem. Will be lubing mine up again.

EuroDude
22-06-2007, 12:01 PM
My Master Cylinder was replaced a month ago and so far the noise has gone completely. Hopefully they replaced it with a new revision ftw

EuroBro
20-09-2007, 08:34 PM
My clutch has just had it's lube job (35000 klms) and get this... my alternator bearing also needed replacing. The dude said it was the first he has seen and they service a stack of Euros (I counted about a dozen when I dropped her off). The bearing started sounding like a jug boiling when it heated up.

All fixed under warranty. Thank you Mr Honda. :thumbsup:

I got really well looked after by the guys @ trivets, parramatta. They deserve a clap, coz they fixed it all in one day and did oil change. It was also pleasing to be able to hire a brand new Jazz VTI CVT off them for the day - wish more dealers offered that! After driving the jazz around, it made me realise just how much better my Euro is. Another thing that impresses me with these guys is their loyalty to the Honda and the wisdom they have built-up sticking to the one brand. The're full on specialists.

After picking my car up, I also noticed it grinded when shifting from 1st to 2nd a few times, but it's gone away now. The clutch feel like it biting better and has heaps more travel before engaging (back to normal).

kitbkk
20-09-2007, 11:13 PM
my car had the master cylinder replaced once when it had around 5-6000kms on the clock. Now it reached 18000kms and the creaking noise is back....
gonna have to get it replaced again:thumbdwn:

drezy
21-09-2007, 12:12 AM
can anyone explain where the master cylinder is located so i can spray some lube in there?

xiang
21-09-2007, 02:48 AM
mmm.. just noticed something today, not so much a creaking clutch.
This time every time i depress the clutch, i get a loud squeek, never heard it before. It come from outside the car.

Will be getting 48000k service done soon. I'll let them know n see if it's related.

aaronng
21-09-2007, 02:57 AM
mmm.. just noticed something today, not so much a creaking clutch.
This time every time i depress the clutch, i get a loud squeek, never heard it before. It come from outside the car.

Will be getting 48000k service done soon. I'll let them know n see if it's related.

That's the clutch release fork bearing. Different issue to the creaking clutch pedal, but good luck. All I did for this problem is to lube the part that comes into contact with the slave cylinder with some high temp lithium grease. The bulk of the squeak comes from inside the gearbox, which I can't access from the outside.

tony1234
21-09-2007, 07:36 AM
I now have 25k on my 06 Euro and no sign of the dreaded "creaking".

EuroDude
21-09-2007, 09:04 AM
t1234 you should lube it anyway to avoid it. The 06 Euro has the same issue as previous years. The problem is once it dries up and starts creaking, it will never be the same again. Spray some silicon grease into the piston above the clutch pedal ftw

Pumped
21-09-2007, 09:05 AM
I only had a slight creak at about 12,000kms
Silicone spray fixed it and it is yet to come back :)

EuroAccord13
21-09-2007, 10:23 AM
My creak is back... And on my third MC... Don't think I'll get it replaced under goodwill now since my warranty period is over...

EuroDude
21-09-2007, 10:29 AM
^ If its a common issue and you can prove it (give them a link to this thread for example), they should cover it as goodwill.
Its an engineering fault Honda should have resolved by now.

tony1234
21-09-2007, 11:09 AM
t1234 you should lube it anyway to avoid it. The 06 Euro has the same issue as previous years. The problem is once it dries up and starts creaking, it will never be the same again. Spray some silicon grease into the piston above the clutch pedal ftw
Took your advise and sprayed it with some silicon spray 15 mins.ago..........thanks.:thumbsup:

EuroDude
21-09-2007, 11:53 AM
^ No worries, spray it once every few months and it should be fine :thumbsup:

Chris_F
21-09-2007, 12:07 PM
good advice. When I got my third MC I sprayed it every now and then (before the creak) and it hasn't come back. Touch wood.

DR HONDA
21-09-2007, 12:13 PM
There are 3 supersessions for the euro clutch master cylinder the latest one should fix the problem part no. 46920S7AA03.

EuroAccord13
21-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I've also resorted to using Lithium grease to rid the irritating creak LOL!

V205
26-09-2007, 12:11 AM
Hi Aaron,

Can you (or anyone else if they've already done it) please post the picture of where to grease the slave cylinder from accessing via the bonnet? I've done the the greasing of the hole behind the clutch pedal but can still hear the creaking inside the engine bay.

Thanks!

That's the clutch release fork bearing. Different issue to the creaking clutch pedal, but good luck. All I did for this problem is to lube the part that comes into contact with the slave cylinder with some high temp lithium grease. The bulk of the squeak comes from inside the gearbox, which I can't access from the outside.

EuroDude
26-09-2007, 09:27 AM
^ the Slave MC should be attached to the gearbox, you need to pull back the rubber cover to access the piston, then spray into it.

aaronng
26-09-2007, 12:32 PM
It's just below the intake manifold. I greased the point where the slave cylinder makes contact with the clutch release fork. I didn't grease the piston itself.

Tobster
26-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Well, it's happened to me too now.

Creaking clutch pedal started about a month ago. The car was serviced yesterday, and they've ordered a new master cylinder... at just under 17000 km.

aaronng
26-10-2007, 10:19 AM
It's not the master cylinder's fault as someone with an 07 had the master cylinder replaced but the creak came back. I'm guessing it's the spring that is on the push rod inside the firewall cavity. Probably depends on the amount of grease they use when putting in the new master cylinder.

E_Honda
31-10-2007, 03:56 PM
my clutch is also starting with the creaking towards the bottom and sometimes one click when releasing it, some days more than others. I think its been happening for a while but now that i've read this thread i've really started to notice.

What if both the master and slave cylinders were replaced? would that make a difference?

I've read through most of the posts and this really is a joke how many people are having the same issue, this really should be passed on to someone in honda that will actually do something about it.

aaronng
31-10-2007, 08:45 PM
I've read through most of the posts and this really is a joke how many people are having the same issue, this really should be passed on to someone in honda that will actually do something about it.

There are 3 revisions of the master cylinder for this problem, but it is still not solved. Master cylinder is purchased from an external company. Honda doesn't make them.

Shuyin
24-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry to dig up an old thread but im currently looking for a new car and the euro (MT) is one in the short list atm. So i just have some questions regarding this clutch creak :

1) Is it a very obvious intrusive creak or one you notice only if you pay alot of attention to ?

2) Does this creak have any degrading effect on the actual performance of the clutch itself?

It seems like this problem reoccurs very often so i'd just like some feedback from the MT euro owners as you guys would know this problem best (since this problem would probably not happen during a test drive).

Thanks

aaronng
24-11-2007, 10:50 PM
It happens to most Hondas. For some reason, the supplier of the master cylinder hasn't revised the design sufficiently to fix it. The creak was already happening in the 90's with the Civics.

henri123
25-11-2007, 09:38 PM
happens to me. but i cant hear it really once i've been driving for a few minutes. only when its cold do i hear it.

corn_flakes
26-11-2007, 02:07 PM
i've got it but it doesn't annoy me that much...

most of the time you've got music on or traffic is noisy enough not to be able to hear it.

Tobster
28-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Hey guys,

1) Is it a very obvious intrusive creak or one you notice only if you pay alot of attention to ?
2) Does this creak have any degrading effect on the actual performance of the clutch itself?
Thanks

From my experience, if it's there it's pretty obvious. It's not like you sit there wondering about it. I also could feel it quite distinctly -- as if something was sticking somewhere when you moved the pedal.

I read all about this, and I still bought the car -- and I'd still recommend the car to anyone.

Adagio
02-01-2008, 07:35 AM
At 42,000kms I have joined the Creaking Clutch Club. It is very annoying as you tend to feel it rather than hear it. I am about to call the dealer for a fix, thought I should read this thread first.

aaronng
02-01-2008, 09:59 AM
At 42,000kms I have joined the Creaking Clutch Club. It is very annoying as you tend to feel it rather than hear it. I am about to call the dealer for a fix, thought I should read this thread first.

Welcome to the club (unfortunately). Any lube fix is only temporary... I'm on my 3rd master cylinder, the 1st lasted about 3-4 months, the 2nd lasted 12 months and now the 3rd one was installed with additional graphite grease to delay the creaking. Hopefully this one lasts much longer.

Adagio
02-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks Aaronng I wont to discontinue my membership. Told the service mgr. not to try a quick fix but to read this thread and anything Honda must have on the problem.

aaronng
02-01-2008, 01:56 PM
They are pretty nice and usually will replace the master cylinder after trying the lube fix first. If they do decide to replace the master cylinder, ask them to use graphite grease on the new one.

ticklenow1
03-01-2008, 08:58 AM
My Euro did the same thing and after several attempts to lubricate it (up to 40,00klms). The dealer finally istened to my complaints and replaced the master cylinder and it has been going strong for 3 years now with no creaking. Having said that I complained about a noisy clutch (which is a dry thrust washer) and they ignored me until it was out of warranty. I will never buy another car from them or get my car serviced there. It was with great pleasure that I bought another car from another dealer and then emailed my local dealer to tell them.

EuroAccord13
03-01-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm on my third MC and I've given up hope... I'll just stick to regular lubrication now and then....

tony1234
04-01-2008, 08:48 AM
I've got 31k on my 06,no problems yet.It's a discrace that after 3 replacements that some of you find the problem reoccuring.What does Honda head office have to say??

insanesam
04-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I had my master cylinder replaced and after 2 weeks the creak came back. Took it back again and they said it was something wrong with the clutch pedal. So they replaced that and its been all good so far (4 months).

tony1234
04-01-2008, 10:26 AM
I had my master cylinder replaced and after 2 weeks the creak came back. Took it back again and they said it was something wrong with the clutch pedal. So they replaced that and its been all good so far (4 months).
How old is your car?

insanesam
04-01-2008, 12:19 PM
How old is your car?

Jan '05 with 42000km on it

Adagio
11-01-2008, 01:18 PM
At 42,000, yes me too, I took the Euro in for the Creaking Clutch syndrome along with a few quotes from this thread. They were aware of the malady and said it was a lot to do with a spring transmitting a vibration as it was extended along with a possible dry rod causing the feeling and noise as it was actuated. It amounted to a 10 minute fix, so they said. I left the car for 1/2 a day and when I picked it up they advised the dry rod was most of my problem. So this has been greased and all I can do is hope OR have it greased each service as a precaution?

tony1234
11-01-2008, 05:01 PM
At 42,000, yes me too, I took the Euro in for the Creaking Clutch syndrome along with a few quotes from this thread. They were aware of the malady and said it was a lot to do with a spring transmitting a vibration as it was extended along with a possible dry rod causing the feeling and noise as it was actuated. It amounted to a 10 minute fix, so they said. I left the car for 1/2 a day and when I picked it up they advised the dry rod was most of my problem. So this has been greased and all I can do is hope OR have it greased each service as a precaution?
Hopefully i'm wrong but this is only a temporary fix.I think you'll eventually need to have the clutch master cylinder replaced from what i've read here.

EuroDude
11-01-2008, 05:23 PM
I got my master cylinder replaced over 6 months ago, ever since then its been perfect. Which reminds me, I should regrease it so it doesnt dry up. Once it starts getting noisy, it wont be the same ever again. But then again, I think Honda installed a newer revision (redesigned) cylinder so it may be fine.

aaronng
11-01-2008, 05:24 PM
^^ Even the 3rd revision eventually creaks.

EuroDude
11-01-2008, 05:31 PM
^ Hms better grease it up then, thx.

tony1234
11-01-2008, 07:32 PM
^ Hms better grease it up then, thx.
Mmmm,me too.

ctn
08-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Is food grade better than automotive grade silicone?

aaronng
08-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Is food grade better than automotive grade silicone?

For car purposes, they are both the same. Food grade just uses non-toxic components and a lower bacterial count.

ThEbLaCk
11-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Hi all, I understand that most of you get the cluth issue fixed at dealers. Does anyone fall into this problem but your car is not under warranty? In this case where did you get the problem fixed?

Also, is it true that the problem comes from the entire MC? I am just thinking if I replace with another one which is post 2004 model will the issue be completely solved? or i cannot because pre 2004 and post 2004 MC are different? what about an aftermarket MC?

Thanks

aaronng
11-02-2008, 07:26 PM
You can use post 04 or an aftermarket MC. Will the issue be completely solved? I'll let you know in 1 year's time.

ThEbLaCk
11-02-2008, 07:32 PM
lol. when was the last aftermarket MC you put in? and what brand? do you still have to grease the component regularly?

ThEbLaCk
11-02-2008, 07:54 PM
btw, i thought the problem of creeking noise also hurting the life span of the clutch or other componenet. If this is true, does that mean lubing the MC from the inside of the car only solve the problem on the noise?

Bo0o0ost
13-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Wd40 Ftw!

aaronng
13-02-2008, 07:39 PM
lol. when was the last aftermarket MC you put in? and what brand? do you still have to grease the component regularly?
I'm using the Honda OEM, installed in 2007, so it's the latest version. No, I haven't greased it since then. It was installed with graphite grease to delay creaking.

btw, i thought the problem of creeking noise also hurting the life span of the clutch or other componenet. If this is true, does that mean lubing the MC from the inside of the car only solve the problem on the noise?
No, creaking doesn't affect the lifespan of the clutch.

aaronng
13-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Wd40 Ftw!

WD40 damages rubber seals/gaskets.

ThEbLaCk
13-02-2008, 08:01 PM
did you grease the mc with graphite yourself or before it was installed in your car? did you do it yourself or got mechanic to install for you?

aaronng
13-02-2008, 08:10 PM
did you grease the mc with graphite yourself or before it was installed in your car? did you do it yourself or got mechanic to install for you?

I complained about the problem just before warranty ran out. So I got it fixed by the dealer.

Bo0o0ost
14-02-2008, 08:01 AM
WD40 FTL then :cool:

WD40 damages rubber seals/gaskets.

petsfact
16-02-2008, 12:26 PM
i had mine replaced under warranty on Dec 06, now it's back again with more noise and creaking.

The MC problem come back exactly after 12 months and 2 weeks time. The part itself has 12 months warranty and my car's warranty ran out in 07.

I have a feeling that it has more to do with lubing and humid temperature. i drive on freeway most of the time so clutching activities is a lot more less than those driving on suburban road, but the problem still come back in close to 12 months, i.e. during or after summer season.

johnni3
25-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Wow after reading this thread I am disgusted with what happened when i took mine to the dealer. I have 04 euro with about 60k on the clock. I was intermittently getting that 1st-2nd grind when changing gears and every now and then getting the creak.

Unfortunately when the test driver went out with me we couldn't re-create the problem. I explained to him that it was intermittent and didn't happen all the time but it happened enough for it to be a problem. After still being persistent and asking him to check the clutch out anyway he then went on to tell me that he had been with honda for more than X amount of years and he had never heard of any problem similar to this at all.

I really expected this large honda dealer to be a little more professional about an apparent known problem with 03/04 euro's. Instead he lies to me to make it seem like i have imagined this ridiculous issue. :thumbdwn:

EuroDude
25-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Its hard to believe they've never heard of the problem, its quite common and there's a technical bulletin regarding this issue if I recall correctly.

Go to another dealer if they wont replace the master cylinder

johnni3
25-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Go to another dealer if they wont replace the master cylinder

The problem is that it happens at random times. So when I go out for the test drive they will assume that nothing is wrong when i can't re-create the problem.

tony1234
25-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Wow after reading this thread I am disgusted with what happened when i took mine to the dealer. I have 04 euro with about 60k on the clock. I was intermittently getting that 1st-2nd grind when changing gears and every now and then getting the creak.

Unfortunately when the test driver went out with me we couldn't re-create the problem. I explained to him that it was intermittent and didn't happen all the time but it happened enough for it to be a problem. After still being persistent and asking him to check the clutch out anyway he then went on to tell me that he had been with honda for more than X amount of years and he had never heard of any problem similar to this at all.

I really expected this large honda dealer to be a little more professional about an apparent known problem with 03/04 euro's. Instead he lies to me to make it seem like i have imagined this ridiculous issue. :thumbdwn:
Refer the knucklehead to this thread,all 35 pages of it.

EuroDude
25-02-2008, 05:03 PM
The problem is that it happens at random times. So when I go out for the test drive they will assume that nothing is wrong when i can't re-create the problem.

True although if its a common problem then they should take your word for it.
Nevertheless the best way to prove it is to leave the car at the dealers overnight, then arrive in the morning and show them. The creak usually happens first thing in the morning when cold.

insanesam
29-02-2008, 10:57 PM
After having my master cylinder and clutch pedal assembly replaced 4 months ago, the creak is back. It came during the past few days when it has been raining heavily. Anyways since my car is now out of warranty i just lubed the cylinder with some silicone spray. No more creaks. But i noticed a few things

1. Clutch seems very soft and spongy (i actually stalled several times)
2. Gear changes are ridiculously smooth. 1->2 has no grind at all and i can even get into 1st gear with no resistance at all at 25km/h without even double clutching.

When i changed my transmission fluid 5000km ago (there was no creaking) i didn't even feel any difference with my gear changes/clutch. I still got the occasional 1->2 grind. However with 2 squirts of silicone spray into the cylinder the difference is quite dramatic and very noticable. The gears seem very "loose" and smooth. Can anyone care to explain the impacts a bit of lube in the cylinder makes.
Thanks

blk05gli
02-03-2008, 12:07 AM
mine is creaking now at 76,000 k's.

bmwbadboy
22-03-2008, 04:19 AM
Its hard to believe they've never heard of the problem, its quite common and there's a technical bulletin regarding this issue if I recall correctly.

Anybody have a copy of the TSB for this problem?

tknova
22-03-2008, 07:57 AM
I had the sane problem with my 06 with the creaking clutch and also a rough feeling through the clutch when engaging

I just got a wad of LM grease, spread it around the clutch shaft around the inner firewall/bulkhead and pushed grease in and around the grommet on the inner firewall/bulkhead and i have not had any creaking/rough feel in the clutch at all.

Just make sure you use a heap of grease and put it everywhere :p

power_of_dreams
22-03-2008, 12:44 PM
My clutch is clicking more than creaking. No obvious change is clutch feel although the other day I stalled randomly. Car is coming up for 30k service, guess I'll get it checked out even if they just grease up the master cylinder.

blk05gli
22-03-2008, 01:45 PM
mine is creaking now at 76,000 k's.

on hills, moving from a stop, i get this "bruppp" sound, almost everytime now.

aaronng
22-03-2008, 06:46 PM
on hills, moving from a stop, i get this "bruppp" sound, almost everytime now.

That's your clutch release bearing. You tend to keep your foot on the clutch at the lights or like to blip the throttle to show off when the clutch is held down?

The release bearing is meant to last the lifetime of the clutch material, so you replace it when you replace the clutch. But in your case, your bearing is prematurely worn.

blk05gli
23-03-2008, 10:13 AM
That's your clutch release bearing. You tend to keep your foot on the clutch at the lights or like to blip the throttle to show off when the clutch is held down?

The release bearing is meant to last the lifetime of the clutch material, so you replace it when you replace the clutch. But in your case, your bearing is prematurely worn.

hmmmm, i like to blip every now and then :p. So when i replace my clutch, the problem will be gone. nice to know its nothing too serious.

aaronng
23-03-2008, 10:19 AM
hmmmm, i like to blip every now and then :p. So when i replace my clutch, the problem will be gone. nice to know its nothing too serious.
It's not serious now, but hopefully the bearing doesn't fail and explode/freeze. But yeah, once you get it changed, all will be good. Next time, blip with the clutch released, that should extend the life of the bearing (and what's left of the current one)

bmwbadboy
23-03-2008, 10:20 AM
I don't see what blipping the throttle has to do with the clutch/TOB. When you blip, you match the revs. How does increasing the engine speed wear out a TO bearing?

aaronng
23-03-2008, 10:30 AM
I don't see what blipping the throttle has to do with the clutch/TOB. When you blip, you match the revs. How does increasing the engine speed wear out a TO bearing?

Some people like to have the car stationary, hold the clutch down and rev the engine up to show off. :) Doing that will wear out the clutch release bearing. That's much worse than holding the clutch down at the lights. I know someone else also with the same problem caused by the same reason.

blk05gli
23-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Some people like to have the car stationary, hold the clutch down and rev the engine up to show off. :) Doing that will wear out the clutch release bearing. That's much worse than holding the clutch down at the lights. I know someone else also with the same problem caused by the same reason.
noted.

jooneth
27-03-2008, 04:31 AM
I had this issue 3 months after I bought the car. I took the car back to the dealer and they replaced the master cylinder. About 1 year later, it started creaking again, I took it back to the dealer and this time, they lubed it. It was ok for about 2 years, but just after the 3 year warranty ended, it started again!!!!

I bought WD-40 and tried to lube the paddle area and the master cylinder, but when I listened to the noise, it's actually coming from the engine bay area. I popped the hood, and asked my friend to press and let go of the clutch peddle and repeat this step until I find where the noise is coming from. And I found it (it's inside the middle section) and lube that part. It stopped creaking, but only lasted few days and it's happenening again.

I am going to take it back to the dealers, but I feel that there is nothing they can do to permanently stop this noise......

bmwbadboy
27-03-2008, 04:52 AM
I agree that this is a problem that cannot be resolved. Engineering flaw

EuroDude
27-03-2008, 02:18 PM
jooneth perhaps the slave cylinder on the gearbox is noisy.

bmwbadboy yes true, unless you re-grease it every few months. These master cylinders should have its own re-greasing mechanism of some sort, such as a small baloon filled with grease mounted on the cylinder that slowly releases grease into the spring area.

aaronng
27-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I had this issue 3 months after I bought the car. I took the car back to the dealer and they replaced the master cylinder. About 1 year later, it started creaking again, I took it back to the dealer and this time, they lubed it. It was ok for about 2 years, but just after the 3 year warranty ended, it started again!!!!

I bought WD-40 and tried to lube the paddle area and the master cylinder, but when I listened to the noise, it's actually coming from the engine bay area. I popped the hood, and asked my friend to press and let go of the clutch peddle and repeat this step until I find where the noise is coming from. And I found it (it's inside the middle section) and lube that part. It stopped creaking, but only lasted few days and it's happenening again.

I am going to take it back to the dealers, but I feel that there is nothing they can do to permanently stop this noise......
There are 2 creaks. One is on the master cylinder, which sounds like a spring catching onto something. Then there is the slave cylinder, which is a squeaking sound. Don't use WD40 as a lube. It was not made for that purpose. Get yourself some silicone lube for the master cylinder and lithium grease for the slave cylinder contact point.

power_of_dreams
27-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Have experienced 2 random stalls lately, related to the creaking clutch?

EuroDude
27-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Have experienced 2 random stalls lately, related to the creaking clutch?

No it shouldnt affect the drivetrain mechanically, it only makes a sound.

Random stalling could be a main relay or ignition problem

bmwbadboy
27-03-2008, 10:04 PM
You would think that Honda could have engineered a solution for defect, with so many people having a problem.

aaronng
27-03-2008, 10:10 PM
You would think that Honda could have engineered a solution for defect, with so many people having a problem.
It's a third party-supplied part.

bmwbadboy
27-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Who and Where is best?

tiksie
27-03-2008, 11:52 PM
This happens on my EG, only on cold days though ? Go figure.. LOL, and if its a cold day and I drive it around, the squeeky noise goes when my engine warms up....

Go figure.

noobler
07-04-2008, 09:27 PM
hey guys, i just got a second hand accord euro with 89k kms and it has this clicking sound at the end of the clutch pedal travel down to the floor. Sound starts half way, 3-4 clicks if i do it quick but only around 2 if i do it slow.

gonna take it to dealer monday coming up... it's an 03' so unless the car had a 5 year warranty (which i doubt) i'm screwed :(

anyone know which honda service centres are good in perth? im taking it to burswood honda.

EuroAccord13
07-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Is it a crisp clicking sound? That is the switch that deactivates cruise control if you have it on.

power_of_dreams
08-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Mine clicks when the engine isn't even on...

aaronng
08-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Mine clicks when the engine isn't even on...

The clutch switch clicks irregardless of whether the engine is on or off. It clicks at the top. Is yours at the top or bottom?

power_of_dreams
08-04-2008, 06:17 PM
The clutch switch clicks irregardless of whether the engine is on or off. It clicks at the top. Is yours at the top or bottom?

When it is close to the floor.

EuroDude
08-04-2008, 06:53 PM
hey guys, i just got a second hand accord euro with 89k kms and it has this clicking sound at the end of the clutch pedal travel down to the floor. Sound starts half way, 3-4 clicks if i do it quick but only around 2 if i do it slow.

gonna take it to dealer monday coming up... it's an 03' so unless the car had a 5 year warranty (which i doubt) i'm screwed :(

anyone know which honda service centres are good in perth? im taking it to burswood honda.

Just spray some Lithium Grease into the Clutch Master Cylinder (located under the steering wheel above the Clutch Pedal, and it should be fine for a few months. If you want it to last longer (say a year), you need to replace the cylinder, which is expensive unless u have warranty.

aaronng
08-04-2008, 07:45 PM
When it is close to the floor.
Then you probably have the clutch master cylinder creak....

EuroDude
08-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I had my cylinder replaced like 8 months ago, now its creaking again :eek:

You'd think honda would solve this common issue by now. But then again, my civic had the same problem so perhaps its just something all Manual cars do..

noobler
09-04-2008, 12:08 AM
hey guys,

I'm cancelling the service. Just sprayed heaps of food grade silicone that came with my treadmill into the clutch master cylinder using a small 2mm? pipe connector on the can. Doesn't make any noise at all now except for the small click at the top for the cruise control (which is normal from the sounds of it)!

Cheers for this awesome forum and post. I thought I bought a dud, now at least it's not noisy. Can't beat a $10 can of silicone lol.

EuroDude
09-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Good stuff. $10 DIY beats a $200+ dealer repair anyday :p

FallenAngel
10-05-2008, 08:54 AM
hey guys,

I have the same problem with my fd civic, and i think its the same thing but the thing is i hear "rubbings" when i release the clutch slowly also...

Any ideas what the rubbings is?

EuroDude
12-05-2008, 09:27 AM
rubbings?

FallenAngel
12-05-2008, 04:50 PM
I dunno, still not too sure but it could be the creaking but it seems to sound like rubber rubbing when i release the clutch..?

tony1234
12-05-2008, 06:06 PM
I dunno, still not too sure but it could be the creaking but it seems to sound like rubber rubbing when i release the clutch..?
if you hit it with some silicone spray at the spot where you think it's making the noise you should fix it.

ok2
12-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Mine started creaking about 2 months ago at about 36k and mentioned it when I put mine in for the 40k service a short while ago. The service manager said they "saw" it and they thought it was the clutch return spring (!). Well, if that fixes it and since it's under warranty it doesn't cost me I don't mind :p (Nordic Honda are good and in my experience don't screw up your car when they work on it so not worried about them doing the work).

Didn't mention anything about reading about it on the forums as the last time I mentioned that (re getting my battery replaced because it was having trouble starting the car after standing overnight) I could see them getting defensive. Can see their point as a) they don't know what you have been reading from where and b) we are telling them their job.

Not done yet, will advise short and later (of course) long term results.

power_of_dreams
13-05-2008, 05:50 PM
i have a service coming up soon. I'm not 100% sure if it is the master cylinder (esp because I have an updated model), does anybody have a bulletin or recall notice I can print out and show them?

aaronng
13-05-2008, 07:01 PM
i have a service coming up soon. I'm not 100% sure if it is the master cylinder (esp because I have an updated model), does anybody have a bulletin or recall notice I can print out and show them?

Updated model does not solve this problem. :) Let the dealer diagnose it. You just show them the creak.

power_of_dreams
17-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Updated model does not solve this problem. :) Let the dealer diagnose it. You just show them the creak.

had it checked out, they said the clicking was due to the cruise control activation. If anything, it has gotten even worse now. Previously the click was more evident than the creak, but now its the other way around. When I'm changing gears I hear creaking, although I'm skeptical as to where it is coming from.

I have a squeaking drivers seat (which they would not fix as they said it squeaks only when the lumbar support is not used, and is not under warranty because it will not cause failure). I smell bs as dash rattles do not cause failure of components either. I think the only way to fix this is to replace the whole chair, and obviously they don't want to pay for it. So when I push clutch in, my back obviously presses against the seat for support and the creak may be due to this.

Alternatively, sometimes I feel the creak is coming from the shift linkage in the trasmission. When I go from 2nd -> 3rd, I can feel some resistance/creaking. Whether it's due to the plastic surrounds not sure.

Finally, it could of course be the clutch itself as has been discussed at length here.

Not too happy with the build quality. Always seems as one rattle goes, another comes to the fore.

aaronng
17-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Is your clutch problem a click at the top or the creak/click at the bottom?

aminawad
18-06-2008, 01:55 AM
I like someone else I read had the clutch clicking/creaking noise at around 36000km the first time. Honda replaced my clutch master cylinder under warranty, next service 50000km they replaced my clutch master cylinder again. To cut a long story short, I had my clutch master cylinder replaced under warranty 3 times. Each time it fixed the clicking noise and feel. Unfortunately it kept coming back. My Honda dealership said it was a known issue and they will continue to change it even after the car is out of warranty as it was reported and changed so many times under warranty. They tried lube etc but the only thing that fixed it each time was to replace the clutch master cylinder.

power_of_dreams
18-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Is your clutch problem a click at the top or the creak/click at the bottom?

creak is only when pedal is nearly fully depressed (i.e. closest to the carpet). click comes before creak.

Rob_A
18-06-2008, 10:55 PM
I had this problem with Mum's Euro for over 6 months.

I had the creaking noise and a spongy Clutch pedal.

When I was working in the dealership I had the workshop controller check it every 5000 when it was there for a service. he could never find a problem.

Eventually got them to bleed the master cylinder. As a hopeful fix Spongyness come back in about 2 weeks. Got a new master cylinder under warranty. Still had the creak. Got new pedal bushes done under warranty. I still have a noise there which is the cruise control switch on the clutch pedal.

There is a bulletin out for them leaking.

Rob

aminawad
19-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Mine wasn't just one creak. You could feel the creaks in the clutch pedal. There was no sponginess (if that's a word). It would occur from halfway depress to the carpet. Creak/click not near the top.

Rob_A
19-06-2008, 05:40 PM
yeah I had the 2 issues. The master cylinder was a seperate problem to the creak. I'm still not happy with the clicking noise I have from the cruise control switch.

The fix for the creak was new pedal pushes in my case. When I was in Honda Parts we did 2 complete pedal boxes on them for this problem.

Rob

aaronng
19-06-2008, 06:35 PM
yeah I had the 2 issues. The master cylinder was a seperate problem to the creak. I'm still not happy with the clicking noise I have from the cruise control switch.

The fix for the creak was new pedal pushes in my case. When I was in Honda Parts we did 2 complete pedal boxes on them for this problem.

Rob
With new pedal bushes/new master cylinder/new entire clutch system, you will still have the cruise control switch click. Because IT IS NORMAL!

EuroSteve
30-06-2008, 01:06 PM
My Euro's clutch pedal has just started creaking ;-(

I bought the car at ~70k, it has now done ~76k. Unfortunately it's out of warranty, so i'd prefer to fix it myself. I haven't read the previous 38 pages of this thread, but from what I can tell, it doesn't seem to be coming from the master cylinder. It sounds more like it's coming from the pedal hinge mechanism?

Has anyone been able to actually identify the real cause?

-Steve

aaronng
30-06-2008, 01:17 PM
My Euro's clutch pedal has just started creaking ;-(

I bought the car at ~70k, it has now done ~76k. Unfortunately it's out of warranty, so i'd prefer to fix it myself. I haven't read the previous 38 pages of this thread, but from what I can tell, it doesn't seem to be coming from the master cylinder. It sounds more like it's coming from the pedal hinge mechanism?

Has anyone been able to actually identify the real cause?

-Steve
Try lubring the hinge. If it helps, then its the hinge. Mine is from the master cylinder itself. I spray a bit of silicone lube into the hole that the piston goes into, and the creak goes away.

Crapdaz
30-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Try lubring the hinge. If it helps, then its the hinge. Mine is from the master cylinder itself. I spray a bit of silicone lube into the hole that the piston goes into, and the creak goes away.

what spray lube do you use Mr Aaron?

aaronng
30-06-2008, 02:26 PM
what spray lube do you use Mr Aaron?

CRC silicone spray. Bought from Bunnings. Comes in a spray can with a blue cap.

power_of_dreams
30-06-2008, 05:36 PM
mine is bloody getting worse. stupid thing is it is at least 5x worse than when i got it fixed.

EuroSteve
30-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Mine is from the master cylinder itself. I spray a bit of silicone lube into the hole that the piston goes into, and the creak goes away.

Hmm, any idea as to what a master cylinder is worth? I just looked at the Euro workshop manual, it doesn't look that hard to replace. Will try lubing the hinge first though! Thanks for the tip!

-Steve

aaronng
01-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Hmm, any idea as to what a master cylinder is worth? I just looked at the Euro workshop manual, it doesn't look that hard to replace. Will try lubing the hinge first though! Thanks for the tip!

-Steve
Not sure, you'll have to ask the dealer... let us know how much though!

davey
26-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread but my clutch pedal has been creaking for the last three months and is getting to me...

I have a 03euro and the warantee is out. I have lubed it numerous times but the problem comes back in 2-3 days.

I have filtered through most of the previous 39pages and it seems to be happening on most 03-05 models. I have got a quote for a 03 master cylinder for $190, can anyone confirm that their 06+ euro clutch pedal doesnt make this creaking noise? Im thinking of exploring the option of buying a 06+ master cylinder (if it is the same).

bmwbadboy
26-11-2008, 11:37 PM
I have an 06 model and the clutch creaks. Don't know the cause.

tony1234
27-11-2008, 06:11 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread but my clutch pedal has been creaking for the last three months and is getting to me...

I have a 03euro and the warantee is out. I have lubed it numerous times but the problem comes back in 2-3 days.

I have filtered through most of the previous 39pages and it seems to be happening on most 03-05 models. I have got a quote for a 03 master cylinder for $190, can anyone confirm that their 06+ euro clutch pedal doesnt make this creaking noise? Im thinking of exploring the option of buying a 06+ master cylinder (if it is the same).
Is this price($190)new from Honda spares?As far as i know Master cylinder is same for 03-08.I have an 06 47000km and no creaking.

bennjamin
27-11-2008, 08:41 AM
have you euro guys checked the SLAVE cylinder yet ? it can be dry from lack of lubricant and give a few different noise and or feeling symptoms.

power_of_dreams
27-11-2008, 02:27 PM
so what is the best way to describe in tech terms to get it fixed under warranty? Creaking clutch caused by lack of lube on master cylinder?

BS problem is coming back again!

aaronng
27-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Just tell them your clutch is creaking and ask them to check it out.

EuroAccord13
27-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Or resign yourself to regular lubrication with Silicon grease...
I've gone through 3 master cylinders via warranty and I'm still getting the problem, was a 3P manufacturing defect.

burak213
15-12-2008, 08:10 AM
so were do i apply the silicone grease to?

on the CMC or the spring?

aaronng
15-12-2008, 10:33 AM
so were do i apply the silicone grease to?

on the CMC or the spring?
I use silicone spray on the CMC. Try not to spray too much because clutch fluid doesn't go well with silicone. :p

Sir_vtec
15-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I used valvoline multi-purpose grease and applied it on the folk of the gearbox where the slave cylinder is and..... it stopped it.

aaronng
15-12-2008, 11:10 AM
I used valvoline multi-purpose grease and applied it on the folk of the gearbox where the slave cylinder is and..... it stopped it.

Yup, that can happen too. Listen to where the noise comes from. I also did the same as you using high temp lithium grease, where the slave cylinder pin pushes onto the clutch release fork.

burak213
23-12-2008, 07:29 PM
thanks aaron, i did it, didnt really help so i booked it in for service, i just hope they replace it instead of lubing it up again

xxb4xx
25-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey guys, sorry to dig this up,

I have the exact same issue, and it drives me nuts,

Clutch works fine, it feels like the spring is the cause as it sounds like kicking an old bed when you press it down,

Is it hard to get to the clutch spring? and how much would a clutch spring be from Honda?

In regards to the slave and master cylinder lube, where are you guys spraying silicon spray? i'd prob use lithium grease also..

Cheers
Brendan

rodericb
25-03-2009, 09:49 PM
I got an Accord Luxobarge 06 today and it has the creaking so I'll take it to my regular Honda service place and have them check it out before its warranty runs out. I drove an 07 model which had low km's (15000) and the clutch felt a bit doughy but didn't have any creaking. Others I tried had a nice, light and springy clutch and they ranged in age from nearly new to over 100,000km's on the clock. My 97 Integra has a dynamite clutch - never had a problem with it and it still has a nice action.

euromandeluxe
25-03-2009, 10:37 PM
My clutch creaks too. I'll get it looked at at the 40,000km service which Shyla is due for.

Such an annoying sound!

paps02
25-03-2009, 10:37 PM
spot on. peel back the rubber boot and spray it in there. get a friend or pet to press the clutch pedal as u spray to see if ur hitting the right spot

power_of_dreams
25-03-2009, 10:51 PM
My clutch creaks too. I'll get it looked at at the 40,000km service which Shyla is due for.

Such an annoying sound!

have you been shopping around for 40k service prices?
check out this thread:

http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66487&page=4

Ken-f
25-03-2009, 10:53 PM
the mechanic put oil on mine.....the creaking was softer, but it felt like shit still.

xxb4xx
26-03-2009, 05:59 AM
thanks for replying guys,

My gut feeling is the clutch spring, I'll call good ol' honduh today

xxb4xx
26-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Just an update guys,

I ordered the spring from Honda, it has to come up from Vic,

It's $11.00

I can just imaging how much of a pain it's going to be to get to this thing.. bloody Japanese cars!

EuroSteve
26-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Around June/July last year, my clutch started creaking for the first time since owning the car. At the time I started thinking I would need a new master cylinder, but never got around to pricing one from Honda. I put up with the creaking for a few months, until one day it just stopped creaking. I was away overseas and left my car at the airport for 2 weeks. When I came back, it had stopped creaking (it was as if someone had come along and lubed it or something!? LOL)

Anyway, on Monday it started creaking again. So this time, I straight away sprayed some Silicon spray into the master cylinder (from inside the car with the clutch pedal fully depressed). It feels silky smooth now, but for how long....

xxb4xx, i'm keen to hear how replacing the clutch spring goes, keep us posted!

PS. If you can, take some photos while you replace the spring :thumbsup:

Crapdaz
26-03-2009, 04:18 PM
i just put up with it, comes and goes but lately hasn't come back for a while.

xxb4xx
26-03-2009, 09:23 PM
mine is there repeatedly, and I hate it, looks like I'll be doing a DIY thread if anyones interested, I know eurosteve is he he,

I get the spring tomorrow, but it's the mrs bday, I'll do it on sat morning,

Cheers
Brendan

Ken-f
26-03-2009, 11:28 PM
If i don't use my car for a few days, the creaking is a lot softer, if not gone. When i use it a lot, esp on hot days for some reason, it creaks heaps.

aaronng
27-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Spray the silicone and you'll be alright for maybe a month if unlucky. If the master cylinder is really shafted, then the creak comes back after 1 week after lubing.

xxb4xx
27-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Not sure about the master cylinder though...

it honestly feels very spring related, it's all smooth, then right at the end of the pedal travel in the last 3mm of play it will make a spring stretching sound..

How much are master cylinders on these? judging by the effort, i'd prob don the clutch at the same time, and replace it with an Exedy organic..

Ken-f
27-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Wow, thats EXACTLY how i'd describe it.

it's all smooth, then right at the end of the pedal travel in the last 3mm of play it will make a spring stretching sound..

power_of_dreams
27-03-2009, 01:30 PM
if I take it in to warranty, should I ask for a new master cylinder?
I don't want a temporary lube fix, they have already done this once and its back again.

xxb4xx
27-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Well, I'll pick up the spring today, and use some lithium grease on the shaft when I install it all.. not a big fan of silicone spray as it wears off quick not really designed for it..

for fly screen door rollers it's fine! hehe

xsite85
27-03-2009, 02:30 PM
i am also having this issue with my euro..

been like 7 months now.. and it's starting to get very annoying..

what can we possible do?

If i was planning to put it into warrenty with honda.. will they provide a temp car to use?

Crapdaz
27-03-2009, 02:42 PM
i am also having this issue with my euro..

been like 7 months now.. and it's starting to get very annoying..

what can we possible do?

If i was planning to put it into warrenty with honda.. will they provide a temp car to use?
temp cars depends on the dealer if they offer it, otherwise they'll charge you for it.

xxb4xx
27-03-2009, 02:44 PM
not sure about warrantly claims and cars provided..

Gimme the weekend, and i'll report back on the difference the spring made.. it's a hell'of' a lot cheaper than a master cylinder! and easier!,

The spring is in from VIC, i'll get it after work.. and as promised, i'll make a DIY thread on it.

rodericb
27-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Not sure about the master cylinder though...

it honestly feels very spring related, it's all smooth, then right at the end of the pedal travel in the last 3mm of play it will make a spring stretching sound..

How much are master cylinders on these? judging by the effort, i'd prob don the clutch at the same time, and replace it with an Exedy organic..
That's different to how my clutch feels - mine is stiff most of the way and makes the creaking noise about halfway through its stroke. Ha ha I drove my Integra last night and the clutch was so light it felt I nearly put my foot through the floor. So I think there's two or more sources of creaking sounds.... master cylinder, spring and maybe even the clutch pedal pivot?