PDA

View Full Version : Creaking clutch pedal [Euro]

Pages : [1] 2 3

aaronng
18-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Hi all,

To celebrate the 1 month anniversary of my Euro, it has decided to start creaking when I press and depress the clutch pedal. Happens when I'm driving, happens when I'm stopped and happens when the car is off and I'm just pressing the pedal. The sound is like a stuck spring or a tight rubberband and I can feel it through my foot. Been through the tsx forums, and quite a few of them have experienced this as well. Have any of you manual Euro owners heard this in your car?

Aaron

evolution42
18-11-2004, 09:14 PM
yep, i can hear it if im in the garage just pressing the pedal. while driving, i don't notice it tho

EuroAccord13
18-11-2004, 09:15 PM
The Magical wonder of grease or lube will help solve the problem you have.... :)

aaronng
18-11-2004, 09:31 PM
I don't mind if it is just a sound, but I can feel it through my foot and it is as if the clutch has become a "3-stage" clutch!

Grease into the clutch master cylinder? Hmmmm... I'll let the dealer handle it. hehe. And tsx forums said that the grease works for a week or 2 and it will come back. Found a TSB for the Accord (4cyl and V6) models where they said to replace the clutch master cylinder. I wonder if I'll have luck getting the dealer to do the same.

ECU-MAN
18-11-2004, 09:38 PM
I get the same, Im taking it back to the dealer so they can fix it, they tell me they might change the clutch master cylinder if the good old lube up doesnt work.

baboo
18-11-2004, 10:06 PM
same here...I hate it

aaronng
18-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Ahhh... okok. In a weird way it is comforting to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. Which dealer are you are sending it to? I'm sending mine to Rick Damelian.

baboo
18-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Me fixing it by myself, I dont trust the dealers.

aaronng
18-11-2004, 10:45 PM
baboo: You ordering in a clutch assembly?

coladuna
19-11-2004, 12:18 AM
I'm yet to experience this problem. Hopefully it won't happen ever.

Archangel
19-11-2004, 12:43 AM
Same, i dont have this problem and i hope i dont :(

yfin
19-11-2004, 06:15 AM
If this is anything like my clutch there is a sqeak/creak too but it is so quiet it is not noticeable unless there is total silence around me (no cars, minimal road noise, etc). It is perfectly normal for the clutch to make some sound.

If it feels abnormal though see your dealer-

aaronng
19-11-2004, 10:05 AM
If this is anything like my clutch there is a sqeak/creak too but it is so quiet it is not noticeable unless there is total silence around me (no cars, minimal road noise, etc). It is perfectly normal for the clutch to make some sound.

If it feels abnormal though see your dealer-

Yeah, the weird part is that I can feel it too. A sound is fine, but if I can feel it, it has to be caused mechanically. The clutch pedal feel is not smooth anymore. Just called the dealer. Bringing it in on Monday to get them to test drive it.

baboo
19-11-2004, 10:33 AM
remember ask them to do it when the car is warm and been driven for a while.

every morning when I go to work, this creaking sound doesn't happen, it only starts to happen when I get home from work.

not a major problem but annoying.

PERTH_EURO
19-11-2004, 11:16 AM
no probs over here

aaronng
19-11-2004, 11:18 AM
remember ask them to do it when the car is warm and been driven for a while.

every morning when I go to work, this creaking sound doesn't happen, it only starts to happen when I get home from work.

not a major problem but annoying.
Yup! Same thing I noticed today. When getting off to work, it was fine, then it started creaking about 10 minutes later.

Pum[Z]
21-11-2004, 06:37 PM
My car makes that creaking sound as well...

My old car as well made that kind of sound as well when the clutch is pressed. With my old car i asked the service department to fix it. They did but it only lasted for 1 month then the sound came back...

I have decided to live with the noise because i think its a normal sound coming from manuals. Also maybe due to the fact that maybe i have a hard left foot ;)

cda96
21-11-2004, 06:41 PM
ive had this problem for a while now, sum days louder than others
and comes and goes when it feels like... but u do kinda feel the squeek thru the clutch as well.
My mechanic advised not to worry about it , does no harm but if i wanted
to get it fixed he'd need to get into the gearbox to properly lubricate it
and it wasnt really worth the hassle to do this..
i've heard of this problem be4 with other honda owners , mainly accords
so its obviously common

aaronng
22-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Just got back from the dealer. The tech heard the sound and told the service dude to book it in. So on Thursday my baby's going under the knife...

baboo
22-11-2004, 12:39 PM
let us know the results Aaron!

aaronng
22-11-2004, 02:21 PM
They got one of their mechanics to take a look. So he heard the sound and told the service counter guy to book the car in. Hehe, I hope it is a longer lasting fix that just using lube on the creaky bits.

aaronng
25-11-2004, 05:39 PM
let us know the results Aaron!Got the car back. From the report, all they did was lube the clutch pedal spring. Oh well... it is heaps smooth now, and gear changing is so much smoother without those "notches" on the clutch pedal travel. We'll see how long this repair lasts.

Nervegas
25-11-2004, 07:20 PM
I actually had the same problem with my '95 accord. couple months later she just dropped all the fluid in the master clutch cyc. real fun when your driving home from work with no clutch. After new master clutch cyc was installed she was all good, even no creaks from the clutch, so keep an eye on that fluid level.

aaronng
25-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Damn that sounds scary. Will keep an eye out...

aaronng
09-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Woo hoo! It's back after 1 month.

bennjamin
09-12-2004, 04:44 PM
maybe the release bearing is stuffed....might need to be replaced.

baboo
21-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Any update on this problem?

I've read the Acura TSX website, they said the creaking noise is from faulty clutch master cylinder like Nervegas said.

I'm planning to replace the Master cyl.

aaronng
22-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Yeah, the creak came back. Showed it to the tech and I'm booked in for this Tuesday for a 2nd go at it. I've seen the service bulettin for the master cylinder on the TSX site, but they said that even after changing the master cylinder, the creak comes back after a few months. I'll let them know that this is the 2nd time I'm getting this problem fixed and that I want the fix to be permanent. hehe

aaronng
25-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Yay!!! They changed the Clutch Master Cylinder. It's fine now. Now I have to see how long it stays creak-free. Last time was 1 month.

baboo
25-01-2005, 01:33 PM
aaronng,

How much they charge for the Clutch Mast Cylinder?

Cheers.

aaronng
25-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Hehe, under warranty (no charge)... I think the fact that this was the 2nd time I was sending it in meant that they realised that a simple lubrication was not going to fix it.

baboo
31-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Honda should really do a recall on this.

has anyone else apart from me and Aaronng got this problem??

Newgas
31-01-2005, 12:10 PM
My brother in laws Euro has got this problem, recently took it for 20,000km service, they did the quick grease fix...it's better but problem is still there. I've told him it most likely is the master cylinder and he should take it back. My Euro is fine so far, but then again i've only got 1500km on the clock!!!

aaronng
31-01-2005, 01:34 PM
They will surely grease it the first time. When you go back the 2nd time, you let them know that they have greased it before and the problem came back after x weeks.
I told them this, and then they got a senior mechanic to come and test it. Then only did they change the master cylinder. The Service Bulletin I saw for this problem covered Accords and civics going all the way back to the 1990s!

Not to worry you, but my car has only 3900km on the clock when they changed the master cylinder.

baboo
11-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Good news! the dealer has changed my clutch master cylinder, it's now smooth as silk.
Under warranty too!

aaronng
11-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Cool! On a side note, I had a grind when shifting 1-2 before. After changing the master cylinder, the grind was still there. But after driving for 1 week, the 1-2 grind now is extremely rare!

Matell
20-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Well after meeting up with baboo today at Mt Cootha I now have to report this same problem has developed. Throughout the drive through the twisties following the IS300 guys, and then through the City it was fine. But alas heading home the noise and then the slight sensation developed, almost like passing through a microswitch at about 1/3 clutch pedal travel.

Going to give Honda a call about it tomorrow. :(

aaronng
20-02-2005, 01:27 PM
All the best. If after they fix it and the problem comes back, remember to go back to the same dealer to get it fixed again and remind that that the first fix only lasted a short while.

blkeuro
28-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Sorry for digging up an old post, but Ive recently done 1100Km on my euro and I've come across this same problem of the clutch pedal creaking.. just wondering, aaronng, have your creaking clutch problems been fixed by honda replacing the clutch cylinder?

aaronng
28-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Hello... Was surprised to see this thread pop up.
I had my clutch master cylinder replaced at 3995km. Now I am at 5920km, and the clutch is still perfectly smooth. My 1-2 gear change is better too, as I was complaining before of a mild 1-2 "crunch" when I shifted. Now it is rare.

I've read on the US forums that some owners experienced the creak returning after 10000km. But hey, if it comes back, I'll send it in again for another master cylinder change (until Honda Japan decides to get it right and source the master cylinder from another company!)

Get your car inspected by the dealer's technician. With my car, it took about 20 minutes of driving before the creak started appearing. So remember to factor this in when you are sending your car in to check. Get them to sit in the car with you as you press the clutch, so they can hear the same thing you hear. At the first go, they would probably just lube the spring, like in my case. Only at the 2nd visit (I pointed them out that this was the 2nd time I was coming in for this problem and only after 1 month. Also mentioned previously they had already lubed it) did they change the master cylinder

blkeuro
29-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks aaron, I'm taking it for the first service this week, so hopefully it'll get sorted..

EuroAccord13
31-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Just spoke to the dealer that sold me the car, they are aware of the Clutch Master Cylinder problem and have told me that if it needs to be replaced, it will be under warranty.. They too told me that there is no evidence that the problem will cause excessive wear on the clutch.. so... mmm... I dunno....

I figured Honda Australia might have known of this issue but have not told owners about it, only the dealers...

I'm gonna make an appointment with them to have the car checked and hopefully, have it replaced...

aaronng
31-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Just spoke to the dealer that sold me the car, they are aware of the Clutch Master Cylinder problem and have told me that if it needs to be replaced, it will be under warranty.. They too told me that there is no evidence that the problem will cause excessive wear on the clutch.. so... mmm... I dunno....

I figured Honda Australia might have known of this issue but have not told owners about it, only the dealers...

I'm gonna make an appointment with them to have the car checked and hopefully, have it replaced...
That's good news! You shouldn't be without your baby for more than a day, as I dropped mine off in the morning and picked it up in the late afternoon. When I had my problem, which was in early December, there was no service bulletin for the Euro or TSX, only the regular Accord. I guess quite a few of us complained of the creaking clutch and they finally recognised that it was a design problem. Hooray!

PNR888
01-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi Aaronng, Matell and baboo.
Baboo, what is clutch switch they replaced for you? So your creaking sound is not from master cylinder as what happened in Matell and aaronng's??

After viewing the above posts about creaking sound, I noticed my clutch has creaking sound too. I am going for 30000km service next wednesday, want to find out from you guys whether if mine is from faulty master cylinder like in Matell and Aaronng's cases OR clutch switch problem like in Baboo's.

Maybe baboo or Matell can have a look my car before next wednesday, so I am better knowledged before I speak to service department. I live in Runcorn. Thanks.

baboo
01-04-2005, 09:34 PM
PNR888,

If you can only hear the click sound, it's probably just the cruise control switch.

if you can feel the pulsation from the clutch pedal, it's most likely a faulty master cylinder.

baboo
01-04-2005, 09:37 PM
PNR888,

I think you got my problem mixed up with Matell, I had the master clutch cylinder replaced and Matell had the switch replaced.

I'll be in Sunnybank tomorrow afternoon, if you wanna meet up just let me know.

Cheers :)

PNR888
01-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Baboo. around what time?? I 'll finish work around 2pm ish. My mobile is 0413888751, if you can to ring me,that will be appreciated.. Thanks.

baboo
01-04-2005, 10:00 PM
No worries Roger,

I'll give u a call when I'm there, should be around 3~4 pm.

PNR888
01-04-2005, 10:14 PM
That suit me well. Thanks Baboo. see u there

aaronng
01-04-2005, 11:31 PM
The faulty clutch switch will cause the noise at the top of the clutch travel. If it is the master cylinder problem, the sound and notchy feeling is at the middle to bottom of the clutch travel. Hope you are able to find out which is the problem you have. When you are at the dealer, remember to show them the problem yourself. Don't leave it there for them to investigate. They usually will say that they cannot reproduce the problem. Remember that the master cylinder creak only appears after 15-20 minutes of driving, so go for a drive before going to the dealer.

coladuna
31-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Digging up a really old thread here, but my clutch started making creaking noise and I can feel it with my foot. It's really annoying.
I guess I should call the service department and arrange for them to replace the master cylinder. I don't have the freaking time to get a dodgy lube job and then go back the second time. I hope they won't come up with lame excuses to not replace the bloody thing.

Chris_F
31-05-2005, 07:05 PM
nearly everyone has expereinced this problem... i did too at 1000km or so.

its pretty bad they should consider a mass recall, but i guess thatd be bad for honda financially.. but c'mon TOO many ppl have had this problem

yfin
31-05-2005, 10:30 PM
nearly everyone has expereinced this problem... i did too at 1000km or so.

No way - my dealer said he has only had 2 back with this problem.

Ronin
31-05-2005, 11:47 PM
OK OK - I've just gotten back from my service. Lets TRY & CLEAR some things up.

WAS TOLD by the cheif mechanic @ Courtney Paterson Honda in Heidelberg that the clutch cylinder problems were on the 2003 models. since then they've fixed whta ever they needed to fix. My problem - apparently is in the clutch pedal box which they will take one full day to examine and fix if necessary.

So I'll keep you guys posted as to the outcome. Should be tomorrow night if I get my car back by then.

EuroAccord13
01-06-2005, 12:56 AM

WAS TOLD by the cheif mechanic @ Courtney Paterson Honda in Heidelberg that the clutch cylinder problems were on the 2003 models. since then they've fixed whta ever they needed to fix. My problem - apparently is in the clutch pedal box which they will take one full day to examine and fix if necessary.

So I'll keep you guys posted as to the outcome. Should be tomorrow night if I get my car back by then.

No offence, I think the chief mechanic didn't get the update...

The Honda Bulletin stated that it was on the 2003 and 2004 models.. Mine's a 2004 model and I had that problem verified by my dealer who changed the Master Cylinder under warranty..

For anyone who feels that they have the Creaky/Knotty clutch feeling, PLEASE take it to the dealership to have it checked out...

aaronng
01-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Digging up a really old thread here, but my clutch started making creaking noise and I can feel it with my foot. It's really annoying.
I guess I should call the service department and arrange for them to replace the master cylinder. I don't have the freaking time to get a dodgy lube job and then go back the second time. I hope they won't come up with lame excuses to not replace the bloody thing.
I think it is not a good idea to hint to them to change the master cylinder. That makes them less inclined to do so. Let them find the cause themselves, because when they do, they will be proud of being able to fix your problem on their own. They might lube it up the first time, but then if the problem reoccurs, they should change the master cylinder the 2nd time.

aaronng
01-06-2005, 10:49 AM

Mine is a 2004 model, assembled in July and I had the creak problem that was solved by changing the master cylinder. Leave your car with them to investigate. They will be happier if they find the fault on their own rather than you telling them what to do.

ITRBoI
01-06-2005, 10:57 AM
on my itr it happens too, but i think there is nothing that a little of grease or wd40 wont fix, apply some to the spring of the paddle

EuroAccord13
01-06-2005, 11:04 AM
on my itr it happens too, but i think there is nothing that a little of grease or wd40 wont fix, apply some to the spring of the paddle

According to the bulletin, the Euros, Accords, Civic and Integras are suffering the same problems..

Ronin
01-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Well - Just got call from them, they ended up replacing the entire pedal box. They described the sound as "grating"

coladuna
01-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Whatever they end up replacing, it better be a permanent fix.
It's a bloody hassle taking the car there because of work.
This problem is really getting on my nerve now. I can't usually hear the noise because of music, but I can feel the damn thing with my foot.
Anyway, booked in for next friday so I'll see how it goes.

V205
01-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Anyone with a 2005 Model with this problem? :(

EuroAccord13
02-06-2005, 02:22 AM

This issue covers only the 2003/2004 Models....

blkeuro
02-06-2005, 12:44 PM

I had a creaking clutch in my 05 euro, so I took it back to honda in my 1000Km service - they lubed up the spring and it seemed to fix the problem.

Chris_F
02-06-2005, 01:05 PM
yfin, my dealer told me the same. it's just a problem that seems to be affecting a lot of ppl.

blkeuro, if it clicks or grinds again, hint that its the MC, and get the problem sorted once and for all.

as001
02-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Ive got a 2005 model and clutch clicks when depressed and sometimes when released (double click), Im gonna get it checked out at 10,000km service Ive got almost 8,000km already that said i had the same issue in my type r dc2 clutch worked fine besides the click when depressed

yfin
02-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Ive got a 2005 model and clutch clicks when depressed and sometimes when released (double click), Im gonna get it checked out at 10,000km service Ive got almost 8,000km already that said i had the same issue in my type r dc2 clutch worked fine besides the click when depressed

That sounds like the cruise control relay switch - normal as it is sound at the top of the pedal.

If you get noise near the bottom that is more likely to be the master cylinder issue above. Honda checked my clutch and said the click at the top is normal.

as001
02-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Damn the click occurs near the bottom...

aaronng
02-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Damn the click occurs near the bottom...
Make sure you show it to the tech there and then. Don't leave it to them to search for the sound. Once they confirm that the problem is there, then it's smooth sailing. Don't tell then you heard this problem, they'll just tell you that it's fixed in 05. It may have been fixed, but faulty parts can still happen.

V205
02-06-2005, 05:26 PM
When I test drove a milano red 2005 Euro Lux Manual.. the clutch was clicking at the bottom.

This is sad... doesn't look like it's fixed from production line even for 2005 models. :(

aaronng
02-06-2005, 10:20 PM
When I test drove a milano red 2005 Euro Lux Manual.. the clutch was clicking at the bottom.

This is sad... doesn't look like it's fixed from production line even for 2005 models. :(
Was it just a click or was it a distinct creak that is similar to a spring being stuck? The most similar thing that I can think of that it sounds like is a creaky floorboard.

V205
04-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Can't remember if it creeked. But I definitately remember the notchy feel at the lower part of the depression.

Was it just a click or was it a distinct creak that is similar to a spring being stuck? The most similar thing that I can think of that it sounds like is a creaky floorboard.

aaronng
04-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Ah.. if it was a notchy feeling, then it should be the same problem as what i experienced, the master cylinder.

EuroAccord13
15-06-2005, 11:52 AM
My Creaking Clutch is BACK!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Back to the Dealer now :(

aaronng
15-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Oh no!!!!! On a side note... I had my both front door panels padded for vibration, and it has come back. The left side is worse, I can hear something loose when I knock my fist against the fabric area. Back to the dealer for me too.

Ronin
15-06-2005, 02:41 PM
EuroAccord13 - where do you take your car to? Cos mine's just come back again - and it was only 2 weeks since they replaced the pedal box.

I'm very very disappointed. although the guys at courtney Patterson were very nice.

aaronng
15-06-2005, 04:14 PM
EuroAccord13 - where do you take your car to? Cos mine's just come back again - and it was only 2 weeks since they replaced the pedal box.

I'm very very disappointed. although the guys at courtney Patterson were very nice.
I didn't think it was the pedal box. But hey, at least they tried to fix it. Have you contacted them again with regards to the problem coming back?

Ronin
15-06-2005, 04:42 PM
No I haven't called them yet. I'm going to wait till past this weekend when it will get a lot of use. If it gets worse then I'll ring. At this stage, i'm pretty tolerant. Lucky for them.

coladuna
15-06-2005, 06:32 PM
My dealer just lubricated the master cylinder pivot point or something rather.
However, they did leave a comment that if the noise comes back, the clutch master cylinder may need replacing.
So far, it's perfectly fine and made shifting gears much more enjoyable without that horrible creaking feeling.

EuroAccord13
23-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Just got the car back from the Dealer earlier, they replaced the Master Cylinder again, it was faulty, they lubed the rubber as well.. Hope this time, the cylinder won't fail lol!

aaronng
23-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Hmm, it's as if almost 100% of clutch master cylinders are faulty. I think they are not up to spec. Honda should question their suppliers.

Aratahu
23-06-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm glad I ordered an auto :P

V205
23-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Which part of the clutch pedal mechanism do we lub?

My 250+km euro lux has a click near the top when depressed. It doesn't click when slowly depressed though.

VirIIx
23-06-2005, 11:37 PM
I decided to listen to my clutch the other day, as i've noticed my accelerator pedal feels a bit creaky in segments (could be the last few cold days in sydney) but it's not smooth to press anymore, it's a slight feedback like it's not smooth.

I then decided to listen to the clutch - with all the master cylinder problems and good ol Honda Dealers telling me i'm dillusional and that the master cylinder is fine... *cough*
I noticed creaking as you press the clutch pedal to the bottom half.. I remember - that wasn't a good thing. I however do get the typical click from the top when you start pushing the clutch pedal down.

20,000km service is due soon next month, i've done only 14xxx km, should be at 20ish in the next few weeks. I'll definately have to get this looked at - if it's the mc problem which they claimed wasn't at the start - i'm going to be seriously pissed off especially if this is a cause for my first clutch wearing down and being blamed for user abuse.

I'll label this negligence.. they've had 2 years at least to sort out this damn problem and not deny it.

V205
24-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Have you spoken to Honda Customer Relations?

I decided to listen to my clutch the other day, as i've noticed my accelerator pedal feels a bit creaky in segments (could be the last few cold days in sydney) but it's not smooth to press anymore, it's a slight feedback like it's not smooth.

I then decided to listen to the clutch - with all the master cylinder problems and good ol Honda Dealers telling me i'm dillusional and that the master cylinder is fine... *cough*
I noticed creaking as you press the clutch pedal to the bottom half.. I remember - that wasn't a good thing. I however do get the typical click from the top when you start pushing the clutch pedal down.

20,000km service is due soon next month, i've done only 14xxx km, should be at 20ish in the next few weeks. I'll definately have to get this looked at - if it's the mc problem which they claimed wasn't at the start - i'm going to be seriously pissed off especially if this is a cause for my first clutch wearing down and being blamed for user abuse.

I'll label this negligence.. they've had 2 years at least to sort out this damn problem and not deny it.

VirIIx
24-06-2005, 12:16 PM
I was dealing with one person there from memory.. useless is all i can say. Typical corporate responses. But i'll take the car in to get looked at soon.

If this is a big problem for a majority of people with the Master Cylinder, i think we should do something about it and kick Honda up the arse :)

aaronng
24-06-2005, 01:29 PM
They'll only issue a recall if the problem threatens the safety or the driver. The MC issue just means extra noise, and maybe accelerated clutch wear that the owner will pay for anyway. So they have no incentive to recall it.

V205
24-06-2005, 03:16 PM
So.. has any 2005 Euro's had MC problem yet???

EuroAccord13
24-06-2005, 06:10 PM
I think it applies only to the 03 and 04 Models....

*EDIT : Wrong Year*

Ronin
25-06-2005, 09:29 AM
This Sux... called Honda to schedule a service, they only open every second saturday @ Heidelberg

V205
25-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Damn... so 2003'ers get away with better clutch MC supplier.

I think it applies only to the 04 and 05 Models....

EuroAccord13
25-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Sorry guys, I made a boo boo, It's supposed to be 2003 and 2004 models according to this list... 2005 models are not effected as far as I know..

Damn... so 2003'ers get away with better clutch MC supplier.

Chris_F
25-06-2005, 01:17 PM
VirIIx - i agree... my MC was replaced at 10,000km or so if your remember? and my clutch continually felt less grabby and "responsive" as too my accelerator like yours (for some strange reason).

As far as i'm concerned the MC is the cause for the failing clutch.

Ronin
25-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Hmmmm... what to do.. I'm in the same dilema. Mine's creaking and gives me the Sh*ts... esp cos i do a lot of city driving.

I think we those of use with the same probs should all go to the same dealer at the same time and make a fuss

VirIIx
26-06-2005, 10:26 AM
i don't think going to a specific dealer to make a fuss. The dealer can only do so much within their power authorised by Honda themselves. I do have from confirmation that Larke Hoskin's Homebush Honda (the service guy was great there when talking too) he admitted he had changed a few euro's MC's.

Whilst Headoffice is in a bit of a denial as usual :p

And i have to agree with Ronin, can't be good for city driving. I've noticd the creaking getting louder and louder - or at least it's obsessing more and more over me :)

aaronng
26-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Hmmmm... what to do.. I'm in the same dilema. Mine's creaking and gives me the Sh*ts... esp cos i do a lot of city driving.

I think we those of use with the same probs should all go to the same dealer at the same time and make a fuss
Just go to your dealer, complain of a creaking clutch pedal. They should get a tech to testdrive with you. Sit with him, and let him press the clutch. Confirm the noise and they will do one of two fixes. 1) Lubricate or 2) change master cylinder. Don't wait!

danotto
07-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Just took my TSX in for the clicking/creaking clutch pedal. This will be the second attempt at a fix. The first time they lubed and replaced a pin in the pedal assembly, this time they are replacing the Master Cylinder. I will post the results.

aaronng
07-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Just took my TSX in for the clicking/creaking clutch pedal. This will be the second attempt at a fix. The first time they lubed and replaced a pin in the pedal assembly, this time they are replacing the Master Cylinder. I will post the results.
I hope it works well! Mine's been ok ever since changing it 8 months ago.

EuroAccord13
07-07-2005, 05:39 PM
I've had mine replaced twice already LOL....

aaronng
07-07-2005, 06:32 PM
I've had mine replaced twice already LOL....
LOL, they replaced your faulty unit with another faulty one :)

danotto
18-07-2005, 12:14 PM
They replaced my Clutch Master Cylinder last week and no problems so far. Smooth as butter.

aaronng
18-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Yay! Another win for the owners!

baboo
18-07-2005, 01:39 PM
I've had mine replaced at 13000km, 11000km later the clutch seems to become sticky...

maybe it's on it's way out again. :(

VirIIx
19-07-2005, 10:38 AM
0km replacement, 9000km clutch replacement.

13000km, u can feel the creak and hear it...
car is in smash repairs to be fixed, then service to see if i can get this *creaking* fixed from what was told to me firmly that it was not my MC by 2 dealers, and an inspector.

Ronin
19-07-2005, 02:16 PM
I still haven't had mine done. Creak still annoys the crap out of me. Just gotta find some time.

Chris_F
24-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Oh god... after about 10,000km with my new master cylinder the problem has come back! Grinding/clicking at the end of the clutch motion.

good one honda :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

PNR888
24-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Oh god... after about 10,000km with my new master cylinder the problem has come back! Grinding/clicking at the end of the clutch motion.

good one honda :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

look like you need another visit to Honda Dealer..
I am having my 40000km major service done this friday. (they quote me $405 at Austal Honda Brisbane) I might ask the mechanics to check my clutch too... I have no problem with it,, but just for the peace of mind.

VirIIx
24-08-2005, 04:30 PM
i still haven't gone yet either..

20K service coming up soon.. i'll get to it then

Ronin
24-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Same here 20,000 coming up soon - will get them to fix it definitely. I got the service dude to have a look at this forum so he can understand. but he says HOnda has not said anything about this problem, and that he hasn't had any before

coladuna
24-08-2005, 06:44 PM
I got mine lubricated at 10,000km service and the creaking is back after about 8,000km of driving. I guess they'll replace the master cylinder this time as they did state on the invoice that if it comes back, it'll need to be replaced.

aaronng
24-08-2005, 07:56 PM
You got 8000km after lube? Wow, mine came back in less than a month!

Chris_F
24-08-2005, 09:20 PM
yea im coming up to my 20,000km aswell like a lot of you.

i'm curious is there any chance a faulty MC can do damage to any of the transmission parts?

Chris_F
26-08-2005, 05:11 PM
just got my car back from the 20k km service...

now when i turn the car on it doesnt idle at 1500 rpm for a full 5 minutes it goes straigt to about 1000rpm - realy quite strange - something to do with the oil filter i'm guessing (honda only scheduels it to be replaced every 20,000km)

anyway the car feels like new again - revs are rising much more smoothly and quickly and even the steering feels lighter and more accurate (power steering fluid was down maybe?)

anyway about the creaking clutch which i bought up (yet again)... they said it was the master cylinder - no question. the guy was nice and told me i shouldnt feel repsonsible at all for the strange things going on with the clutch etc and that he would talk to the warranty department and make sure i have the latest MC design if it has actually been changed.

anyone else had their service yet?

Ronin
27-08-2005, 01:33 AM
Not yet,I'm about a month away. but cant wait

ericjaii
27-08-2005, 04:56 PM
I had creaking noised first need the start of stepping on the clutch, then later it occured near the bottom of the clutch (when fully depressed) and now it usually makes no noise but is very loose... anyone have any idea whats the deal?

when i say loose, i mean theres no resistence to depressing the clutch whatsoever, kind of like when you step on the throttle....

there seems to be no problems with gearchanges, and no signs of clutch slipping... the engine still rev normal etc....

thanks

PNR888
28-08-2005, 08:11 AM
anyway about the creaking clutch which i bought up (yet again)... they said it was the master cylinder - no question. the guy was nice and told me i shouldnt feel repsonsible at all for the strange things going on with the clutch etc and that he would talk to the warranty department and make sure i have the latest MC design if it has actually been changed.

anyone else had their service yet?

Chris F, sound like your service advisor is a friendly guy. :thumbsup:

Took my Euro in for 40000km major service at Austral Honda (Newstead, Brisbane) on Friday 26.08.05. When I handed my key in, I told the service advisor if boys can check my clutch master cylinder if it is not too troublesome. As we all know that quite a few of us already have Clutch master cylinder replaced due to creaking noise.

The service advisor became very defensive and said "Don't listen to the rumour in the internet!".

I then told him that at least 2 other Brisbane Euro Owners from my car club (ozhonda) I know of have their master cylinders replaced. He then went again: " it is rumour"

WTF, what kind of attitude and answer is that! :thumbdwn: .. His answer implies we ozhonda members here are bounch of liers, we do nothing useful except spreading rumours. He insulted OZHONDA, at the same time, he insulted me, coz I am a member of ozhonda.

I didn't argue with him further that day as my Euro was going to be there for the whole day, I didn't want the situation to turn ugly that he might trash my car as revenge. :(

I am going to make a complaint to their customer relation person, I will demand a formal apology from that service advisor.

How many of you actually have Master cylinder replaced.. Can we start a list here... (copy and paste the list and add yours on to the list)
Thank you guys.

- Baboo 2004 model
- Chris F 2004 model (replaced Twice?)

aaronng
28-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Me, 2004 model.

V205
28-08-2005, 12:17 PM
PNR888, can I ask how old you are? Sometimes they treat youngish people like they wouldn't know anything.

A service manager said to me that's "It's impossible for a car wash to cause swirls / micro scratches etc."

Chris_F
28-08-2005, 01:20 PM
v205, PNR888 is older than i am and i was taken seriously - it just depends on how much of a prick the guy at the desk is.

Roger i wouldn't stand for that treatment either! I'd expect an apology.

I told them about the clicking issue and as soon as they checked it they immediately said it was the MC and that including mine they'd had a couple of others in for the same problem. The same problem is affecting people in the states too, theres a thread on tsx.acurazine.com about it too!

some honda dealers need to stop putting their head in the sand.

My service advisor works at southside honda, they've been great from the start my clutch on the other hand :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

V205
28-08-2005, 01:38 PM
I guess if the service manager doesn't handle your concerns properly, take the business elsewhere?

aaronng
28-08-2005, 05:31 PM
PNR888, they will only check and change it if you have the creaking problem. Do you have that?

coladuna
28-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Took my Euro in for 40000km major service at Austral Honda (Newstead, Brisbane) on Friday 26.08.05. When I handed my key in, I told the service advisor if boys can check my clutch master cylinder if it is not too troublesome. As we all know that quite a few of us already have Clutch master cylinder replaced due to creaking noise.

The service advisor became very defensive and said "Don't listen to the rumour in the internet!".

I then told him that at least 2 other Brisbane Euro Owners from my car club (ozhonda) I know of have their master cylinders replaced. He then went again: " it is rumour"

I happen to have bought my car from Austral Honda as well and I have never found them to be defensive or rude. At my last service, I just told them that my clutch was making creaking noise and by the time I came to pick up the car, they have found the problem and lubricated it with addtional comment on the invoice that it may need to be replaced if the noise comes back.

If you simply said that you don't have that problem now, but want them to check just because something you read on the net, it's obvious they won't be as obliging to check out your clutch.

Maybe you happen to have met an unfriendly guy, which I haven't yet experienced from them so far.

albii
29-08-2005, 12:10 AM
all i got to say is that with northside honda the srevice and manner is second to none.i will not go anywhere else.....and yes i was dealt with rather rudely at austral also and i complained to the manager and told him that their salesman suck and that not half an hour later i had purchased my car at northside.

Chris_F
29-08-2005, 10:52 AM
yea i remember hearing about that albii.

there's no excuse for beng rude pricks.

if lots of people that you know and have met have had a problem with the MC (as in Rogers case) surely they can make an effort to "keep the customer happy".

a simple "sure we'll look into it for you:o" is all thats needed really.

"don't believe everything you hear :mad:" is a bad response regardless of circumstances

baboo
29-08-2005, 11:27 AM
There's one knob service advisor working at Austral. Avoid him. The service manager there is alright though.

PNR888
29-08-2005, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=V205]PNR888, can I ask how old you are? Sometimes they treat youngish people like they wouldn't know anything.

QUOTE]

I am 29. I am sure I am older than that service advisor.. having said that, I dont think that dude should discriminate young drivers or senior drivers or lady drivers. :thumbdwn:

coladuna
06-09-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm officially pissed off big time.
Once again, they have just lubricated the clutch pedal pivot point.
They are the one who suggested it may require replacing if it happens again and then they have gone with this crappy shit temporary fix. I'm sure to give them a call tommorow and yell them abuse. I would've done it already if I picked up the car myself.

4G63BT
18-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Hello Guys,

Being a newbie to this forum and only had a euro for the last month also...

All i gotta say is .. another one bites the dust.....its happening to me too..

bought euro second hand..only been a month.....damn.

aaronng
18-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Hi 4G63BT. Just bring it to the dealer, and show them the creak yourself. And also get your warranty transferred over from the previous owner to yourself before you go to the dealer.

as001
02-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Damn it just had 20k service i reported clutch was clicking intermitently again dealer has advised master cylinder has been ordered to fix problem (under warranty)...

aaronng
02-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Hehe, that's good. Which dealer did you go to?

as001
02-11-2005, 11:14 PM
warick farm

xiang
14-11-2005, 05:57 PM
my sister just came back with my euro from canberra.. took it out for a drive, and i think ive got the same problem as you guys.

i can feel it through the pedal, and hear it creak.
prolly give the dealer a ring next week.

aaronng
14-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Yup, remember to show the dealer yourself personally the creak. The creak comes after driving about 15-20 minutes from a cold start. All the best!

Chris_F
14-11-2005, 08:44 PM
damn another unfortunate person experiencing this problem... i really think the euro has a poorly designed/ weak transmission :thumbdwn:

kitbkk
14-11-2005, 10:46 PM
owwwwwwwhhh!!the creak happens to me too for about a month now.. before I saw this thread, I just thought there was something wrong with the clutch spring... Ill need to book for the service soon too.. :(

EuroAccord13
14-11-2005, 11:04 PM
And don't forget to introduce yourself to us in the Introduction Lounge :)

CHEERS

aaronng
14-11-2005, 11:51 PM
In the US, it happens to Civics, USDM Accords and TSXs. The clutch master cylinder is probably produced by a third party and not by Honda themselves... That's why they've had a bad batch from 1991 til.... now. LOL. They should change manufacturers for that part.

Chris_F
15-11-2005, 01:53 AM
farout thats a lot of cars with a lot of faulty MC's - pretty bad on honda's part - :thumbdwn:

V205
15-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Is it considered faulty because of a creak noise though? I mean.. it still functions ok etc.

I'm asking coz my CRV power steering rack has a whirly noise after warmed up etc..

aaronng
15-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Well, the dealer lubed it up the first time for me. And the creak came back and then they changed it. If they did so, then it could be considered faulty. I did not ask them to change the master cylinder. I just told them that the creak had come back.

Iraclis
16-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Its been a while since I posted but just had 20000Km service. I noticed the dreaded clutch creak about 3-4 weeks ago. Booked the car in and told them about the clutch. They told me no worries they'll have a look. They rang to pick up the car at 4pm today. To my pleasant surprise they picked up on the clutch master cylinder problem. They replaced it and changed the fluids/lubricants related to the master cylinder all under warranty, happily, with no questions asked. No messing around and no need to come back at a later date. I have to say I was impressed considering the hassles others have had with this issue. Thanks to Tynan at Sutherland also for fixing things.

EuroDude
17-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Any '06 Euro owners experiencing this problem?

I'm hoping they have resolved this common issue.

raz05
17-03-2006, 03:55 PM
I have juz got my 04 std Euro 20K service done today, and i told them abt the creakin noice from the clutch. They replace a new clutch master cylinder for free as it is under warranty~

aaronng
17-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Update: My creak came back after 1 year. I've lubed it up myself and the creak has been gone for 2 weeks. My next service is in May. If the creak comes back by then, then I'll be on my 2nd NEW master cylinder!

Cranial
26-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Same prob as all you guys - I just got Scotts Honda to diagnose the creaking and they said they will book me in to replace the clutch pedal assembly. I asked if the master cylinder was ok - they said it was fine.

I hope they diagnosed it properly - will inform of results once the work is done! (in a week or two - they have to order the parts).

Adagio
26-06-2006, 04:03 PM
No problems with this clutch problem. The car is so damned quiet in all areas that I wish it would communicate with me a bit more. Going in for its 20,000km service tomorrow with no issues to report.

EuroDude
08-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Noes my Euro is making a creaking noise now when pressed to the floor :(

Gonna get them to check it out at the next service

Chris_F
08-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Update: My creak came back after 1 year. I've lubed it up myself and the creak has been gone for 2 weeks. My next service is in May. If the creak comes back by then, then I'll be on my 2nd NEW master cylinder!

aaronn, I'm on my third clutch master cylinder and the creaks have stopped for about a year, maybe 3rd time lucky for you too:p

aaronng
08-08-2006, 11:09 AM
aaronn, I'm on my third clutch master cylinder and the creaks have stopped for about a year, maybe 3rd time lucky for you too:p
Hehe, the creak hasn't come back, but what's more worrying is my vibrating clutch when I am releasing it after changing gear. After I stop the car, turn it off for a few minutes and on again, it goes away. Oh, this is so frustrating....

EuroAccord13
08-08-2006, 02:33 PM
I've gone through my second CMC and my creak/vibration is back too... UURGH!!!!

Cranial
08-08-2006, 04:01 PM
As I've mentioned earlier, I had a bad case of the clutch creak before. Now, its seems as though the MC is the problem. However, my dealer has now replaced the clutch pedal assembly and the creaking has gone for more than a month now - still smooth. If the MC is the issue here, then replacing the clutch pedal assembly wouldn't have had made a difference, but it has. The MC hasn't been changed.

EuroDude
08-08-2006, 06:35 PM
aaronng where abouts did you lube it yourself? Do you spray WD40 in the area where the clutch goes into the firewall?

aaronng
08-08-2006, 07:24 PM
aaronng where abouts did you lube it yourself? Do you spray WD40 in the area where the clutch goes into the firewall?
NEVER use WD40 for lubing. And NEVER use WD40 for anything with rubber (master cylinder seals).

Use silicone lube instead. But don't overspray... if the silicone gets into your clutch fluid, you're totally stuffed.

If you look behind the clutch pedal, there is a rod that goes into the firewall. If you push the rod in partially you'll see a gap. I sprayed silicone into the gap.

EuroDude
08-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks I may try that - the noise is getting quite loud now.

Is this stuff ok to use?
http://www.eagleasia.com/images/default/Products/6/1583/5074.jpg

aaronng
08-08-2006, 07:34 PM
That looks ok. My CRC silicone is in a blue can though....

EuroDude
08-08-2006, 07:45 PM
sounds like you have this stuff~
http://www.borokimya.com.tr/images/hava/silikone.jpg

I think the automotive stuff is stronger since the blue can is food-contact safe, anyways I'll give it a try :thumbsup:

Chris_F
23-12-2006, 10:55 AM
well my freaking creak has come back again!

I bought some food grade silicon spray from bunnings that's fine for use with rubber seals etc. and tried the method you suggested aaronng, pressing the clutch in slightly and spraying into the gap (applying a few brief sprays)...

It didn't affect the creak at all... this sucks!

VirIIx
23-12-2006, 03:34 PM
long live the creak..

3 years in April for the Euro and the creak is still there.. even after 1 MC change @ 30,000km and it started to creak a few K's after that..

will be asking them to change it at the coming service of 40,000km

aaronng
23-12-2006, 03:52 PM
well my freaking creak has come back again!

I bought some food grade silicon spray from bunnings that's fine for use with rubber seals etc. and tried the method you suggested aaronng, pressing the clutch in slightly and spraying into the gap (applying a few brief sprays)...

It didn't affect the creak at all... this sucks!

Did you use a tube to direct the spray into the gap? If you didn't, that must have been some looooooong tube that you got with your spray.
I used the clear hose that they commonly use for bleeding brake fluid.

ZEi20T
23-12-2006, 04:38 PM
it sucks, my car has had this problem since i got it. i guess there will be no chance at all to get this fixed out of warranty.

if it was a recall i could probably sway them to replace it free. but i guess ill be out of pocket for this one. if i can be bothered doing it. it doesnt seem like a huge deal, the notchy feeling you guys all get when shifting is probably a clutch pedal adjustment that needs doing. maybe ill price a MC (or just a the piston and seals) and see how i go changing that. its not a huge deal.

has anyone had the slave done as well? clutch fork?

aaronng
23-12-2006, 05:01 PM
It's just a clutch cylinder creak. You don't get a notchy shift from it. A notchy shift would come from your synchros or shift bushings.

EuroAccord13
23-12-2006, 05:04 PM
My creak is back again!!! WOOT!!

aaronng
23-12-2006, 05:35 PM
*opens up shop*
Creak repair! 1 month warranty! Come and get your clutch creak fixed! Nice low price!

VirIIx
23-12-2006, 05:51 PM
*opens up shop*
Creak repair! 1 month warranty! Come and get your clutch creak fixed! Nice low price!

lol seriously?

I'll wait for the last service.. under warranty and see how it goes.. :p

Chris_F
23-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Did you use a tube to direct the spray into the gap? If you didn't, that must have been some looooooong tube that you got with your spray.
I used the clear hose that they commonly use for bleeding brake fluid.

I only used the tube that came with the can, depressed the clutch halfway and slid it into the gap and sprayed a bit - the tube that came with it was about 10-15cm in length. I was able to get the tube in the gap.. with the longer tube do you mean you need to feed the tube into the cylinder then spray deep inside it?

also just to confirm with you, the part I'm meant to be lubing is what the clutch push rod in the footwell goes into?

EuroAccord13
23-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I'll wait till you relocate then I'll hire your services :D :D

EuroDude
23-12-2006, 10:52 PM
My creak is back again!!! WOOT!!

Mine came back as well for a couple of days but its gone now. Seems like it only happens when its really humid

Chris_F
23-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Mine came back as well for a couple of days but its gone now. Seems like it only happens when its really humid

this is such a strange intermittent problem... mine came back and has been consistent for a few days now i'm hoping it decides to go away on its own

EuroDude
23-12-2006, 11:00 PM
this is such a strange intermittent problem... mine came back and has been consistent for a few days now i'm hoping it decides to go away on its own

Ever since the dealer greased the clutch pedal up, its been fine except for that one time (it was raining heavily). Maybe u wanna grease it up urself with some lithium grease spray and see how that goes.

EuroAccord13
23-12-2006, 11:14 PM

Could be the sweat from your feet lingering around the footwell area :cool: .... Heheheheh...

Can I use Teflon Grease?

EuroDude
23-12-2006, 11:27 PM
^ Teflon Grease is expensive but its better than most greases, give it a try :)

aaronng
23-12-2006, 11:27 PM
If it is on the clutch pedal assembly, you can use teflon, lithium or whatever grease. If it is for the master cylinder, liquid lubricants only (except WD40)

Chris_F
24-12-2006, 10:53 AM
my creak sounds like its coming from the master cylinder but lubing that up didn't seem to do anything... maybe it is the clutch pedal assembly but i doubt it.

EuroDude
24-12-2006, 12:00 PM
If its a springy metalic sound similar to an noisy old gate, then its probably the clutch pedal needing a grease up.

Chris_F
24-12-2006, 12:57 PM
hmm nah mines more of a creak, its not that audible but more of a sticking feeling at the bottom of the clutch travel. I'll poke my nose a round the clutch and try and pin point the sound but it sounds as tho its comin from the master cylinder on the other side of the firewall (perhaps why i can't get the lube into the right position)

ZEi20T
24-12-2006, 02:21 PM
It's just a clutch cylinder creak. You don't get a notchy shift from it. A notchy shift would come from your synchros or shift bushings.

yeah i know, thats why i said its probably the clutch that needs adjusting :P

i know because its fine when i push the clutch really hard onto the floor :)

stephen8512
24-12-2006, 02:36 PM
my creak is back too...silicone greased it up 3 times by honda....and i havent replaced the MC yet.....37493 kms...

Chris_F
24-12-2006, 02:41 PM
what a pain in the but, i was hoping mine would be gone for good... who wants to design a new clutch master cylinder that doesnt creak and sell it to me :D

ZEi20T
25-12-2006, 07:49 PM
maybe ill see if i can retro fit a nissan one :P at least we know it will work well!!! hehe

EuroDude
25-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Replace the spring with a rubber band :p

My EG Civic had the same clutch creak problem, must be a common Honda design flaw.

aaronng
25-12-2006, 10:26 PM
My clutch creak came back today. Contemplating whether to send it to the dealer to replace the MC or to lube it up again.

VirIIx
26-12-2006, 09:30 AM
MC.. while the last year of warranty lasts :D

that's what im trying to do..

Chris_F
02-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Aaron, even if you get the MC changed the problem is likely to come back because it seems to be a design fault. IN the first 10 minutes of driving mine feels fine that it goes creaky again after the problem was not present for about a year.

I've been trying to research some alternative options... MC's from other cars or maybe even something like this C5 vette owner did

http://tradezone.com/vette/clutchmaster.html

basically used a brake master cylinder from AP racing and modified/connected it to work as the clutch master cylinder instead.

I've really had enough of the MC creak.. there must be a more stable long term solution out there somewhere...

aaronng
02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
The AP racing unit is nice, but overkill for our light street clutch setup. A better idea would be to get a master cylinder from another car with the same master cylinder dimensions, but without the creak. I think Honda's master cylinders are made by nissin?

yfin
02-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Aaron, even if you get the MC changed the problem is likely to come back because it seems to be a design fault.

I wonder whether replacing the MC is the right fix if the problem re-appears so often. It doesn't make much sense.

There are owners out there (me included) that have never had this problem after 3 years of ownership. Clutch makes some noise but doesn't feel abnormal. Could this be some other component the dealers are missing that could be contributing to the issue?

Chris_F
02-01-2007, 05:36 PM
The AP racing unit is nice, but overkill for our light street clutch setup. A better idea would be to get a master cylinder from another car with the same master cylinder dimensions, but without the creak. I think Honda's master cylinders are made by nissin?

good point, if its overkill in the more reliable/non-creaking way though, I'm all for it. I like the idea of going a non-honda oem master cylinder so I might look into that as well.

I wonder whether replacing the MC is the right fix if the problem re-appears so often. It doesn't make much sense.

There are owners out there (me included) that have never had this problem after 3 years of ownership. Clutch makes some noise but doesn't feel abnormal. Could this be some other component the dealers are missing that could be contributing to the issue?

Hmm... When i was reading about replacing the MC they say a slave cylinder change is also recommended (to be done at the same time)... I doubt the slave would be causing the problem but maybe the whole assembly should be changed to completely eliminate the problem. I'd be willing to try something like the AP racing or a good OEM unit to fix this problem... I'm jealous that you don't have the creak, it can really become irritating on long drives.:thumbdwn:

On a side note - has anyone bled and changed the clutch fluid in an attempt to fix this problem? Maybe water vapour/air is getting into the system some how?

aaronng
02-01-2007, 06:07 PM
good point, if its overkill in the more reliable/non-creaking way though, I'm all for it. I like the idea of going a non-honda oem master cylinder so I might look into that as well.

On a side note - has anyone bled and changed the clutch fluid in an attempt to fix this problem? Maybe water vapour/air is getting into the system some how?
How much would an AP racing master cylinder cost though? I reckon upwards of $500?

I haven't tried bleeding it.

Chris_F
02-01-2007, 09:39 PM
I'll find out how much they go for...

I might try changing the clutch fluid sometime soon and see if that helps. I find it strange that the creaking only starts happening when the engine is warm... about 10-20 minutes. Yours happens the same way Aaron?

aaronng
02-01-2007, 10:02 PM
I'll find out how much they go for...

I might try changing the clutch fluid sometime soon and see if that helps. I find it strange that the creaking only starts happening when the engine is warm... about 10-20 minutes. Yours happens the same way Aaron?

It comes out after 20 minutes of driving. If I leave it to idle for 10 minutes, it still takes 20 minutes of driving to appear. I last bled my clutch in April btw.

Let me know about the price as well. I have less than 1 year of warranty left, so info on a proper solution would be helpful.

Chris_F
02-01-2007, 10:32 PM
hmm, sounds slightly different to mine which basically comes out when the car warms up.

Ill ask look around for traders/shops that can get AP racing products and see if i can turn anything up. It'd be great if honda released a revised design for the MC before yuor warranty up :P

aaronng
02-01-2007, 10:46 PM
hmm, sounds slightly different to mine which basically comes out when the car warms up.

Ill ask look around for traders/shops that can get AP racing products and see if i can turn anything up. It'd be great if honda released a revised design for the MC before yuor warranty up :P
I'm pretty sure they won't.... Hondas from the late 90s also had the same problem and they never solved the problem.

VirIIx
02-01-2007, 11:58 PM
ahh.. the cons of being a manual driver finally..

It's annoying how it's intermitent, and hard to replicate. Some days you'll waltz in, go for a spin and NOTHING.

It is a bit more noticeable during peak hour tho.. but that's because you're on and off a lot more so that would be expected..

I actually miss the creaking feeling in the new car.. it just grows on you.. and feels abnormal :(

EuroAccord13
03-01-2007, 01:05 AM
My comes and goes... It comes out even when the car is cold and not started...

Chris_F
03-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Well I had my 40,000km service today, and with the help of my mechanic found that the sound was coming from the slave cylinder and not the master cylinder :|

strange.. but I'll be taking it into to honda to see what they can do to fix the problem under warranty

VirIIx
03-01-2007, 03:27 PM
How did the mechanic trace it?

I think the Euro will be going to service on Monday, so I might tell me father to mention it could be either cylinders :\

aaronng
03-01-2007, 04:24 PM
If you can hear it loud in the cabin, it's the master. If you can hear it louder in the front of the engine bay, then it is slave.

Chris_F
03-01-2007, 06:14 PM
you can still hear mine on the inside.. but with the hood propped and your head in the engine bay the sound doesnt come from the firewall but the slave cylinder (attached to the tranny at the front right of the engine bay)

he seemed certain that it was the slave cylinder

VirIIx
03-01-2007, 06:40 PM
ooh interesting.. haven't tried that -_-

Chris_F
08-01-2007, 06:54 PM
well i booked my car in for tomorrow morning at Honda

if it is the master cylinder again I will be on my fourth one

maybe its the slave cylinder thats been causing the problem for me, hopefully they pick up on the cause.

will let everyone know how it goes

EuroDude
08-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Mines come back as well lol. I doubt its a master cylinder problem since its a door-creaking sound when the clutch is almost all the way down. Gonna try and grease it up myself.

Chris, maybe u wanna try greasing ur clutch pedal spring with lithum grease spray first before bringing it to honda?

Chris_F
08-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Mines come back as well lol. I doubt its a master cylinder problem since its a door-creaking sound when the clutch is almost all the way down. Gonna try and grease it up myself.

Chris, maybe u wanna try greasing ur clutch pedal spring with lithum grease spray first before bringing it to honda?

mines a door-creaking sound at the bottom of the clutch pedal aswell.

I don't think its just the spring or the clutch push rod (after already lubing that with silicone spray) because the creak doesn't show up until approx. 10 minutes of driving. The clutch take up also becomes varied/weak on take off (and some gear changes) when the creak is present. So as far as i can tell the problem is part of the clutch hydrolic system

aaronng
08-01-2007, 08:07 PM

It's the master cylinder. It is a door creaking sound somewhere near the bottom of the pedal travel. The dealer diagnosed it and replaced my master cylinder 1.5 years ago. That replacement worked without creaks until 6 months ago. Today was the 3rd time I had to relube the cylinder. I gave in and used silicone spray into the cylinder. Smooth as new now. And I don't advise using lithium grease spray into the cylinder. It dries out as a solid film.

Chris_F
08-01-2007, 08:40 PM
It's the master cylinder. It is a door creaking sound somewhere near the bottom of the pedal travel. The dealer diagnosed it and replaced my master cylinder 1.5 years ago. That replacement worked without creaks until 6 months ago. Today was the 3rd time I had to relube the cylinder. I gave in and used silicone spray into the cylinder. Smooth as new now. And I don't advise using lithium grease spray into the cylinder. It dries out as a solid film.

Lubing the cylinder didn't seem to work for me. When the creak was present did your clutch feel a bit strange at friction point? (mine does)

aaronng
08-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Lubing the cylinder didn't seem to work for me. When the creak was present did your clutch feel a bit strange at friction point? (mine does)

It felt a little spongy....

Chris_F
08-01-2007, 11:22 PM
It felt a little spongy....

yep mine feels the same

can't wait to get another master cylinder so i can get rid of the problem for another year :p

Chris_F
09-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Just got back from honda, the foreman jumped in the car for 3 seconds played with the clutch then the service guy told me they'd be ordering in a master cylinder....

fourth time lucky?

EuroDude
09-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Is the master cylinder easy to replace? Its just sitting in the engine bay near the gearbox yeah?

Hopefully its not expensive to replace when our cars are out of warranty.

Chris_F
09-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Is the master cylinder easy to replace? Its just sitting in the engine bay near the gearbox yeah?

Hopefully its not expensive to replace when our cars are out of warranty.

you'd probably have to change the clutch fluid and I guess it'd take a bit of time coz it's in an awkward position. The master cylinder itself is quite an expensive part, an OEM Honda master cylinder is probably in excess of $200 though I've never really looked into it. I'm glad i got the extended 5 year warranty for this problem alone!

When our cars do go out of warranty there's always the option of going to an after market master cylinder by AP Racing or similar company. That's what I'll be doing when the time comes

EuroDude
09-01-2007, 10:56 AM
or maybe install an S2000 or DC5R master cylinder :p probably wont fit though..

Chris_F
09-01-2007, 11:38 AM
I've asked about a DC5 master cylinder, but apparently it won't fit - there's a fix out there we just gotta find it :P

ABS121
09-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Correct me if im wrong but if its an issue that has been "fixed" prior to the warranty expiring then it should still be fixed after it the warranty expires as its still not fixed.

im about to get my third master cylinder and theres no way ill pay for a 4th out of warranty.

Chris_F
09-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Correct me if im wrong but if its an issue that has been "fixed" prior to the warranty expiring then it should still be fixed after it the warranty expires as its still not fixed.

im about to get my third master cylinder and theres no way ill pay for a 4th out of warranty.

I'm really not sure how the warranty system works with Honda. What your saying sounds reasonable to me though.

I really think Honda should redesign the master cylinder to fix the problem - maybe I'll be lucky and get an updated model used by the 06/07 euros (wishful thinking)

Any 06/07 euro owners that experience the clutch creak out there?

EuroDude
09-01-2007, 12:13 PM

If the part has been replaced previously by Honda, they should offer a 3(?) month warranty period for that part (if the car is out of warranty). After the 3 months, you will have to pay for it.

(not sure about honda's wty period though, could be 6 months or something)

For those with only 3 years wty, you might wanna consider getting the extended warranty from Honda ASAP ($700+ depending on the age of the car).

Monty77
10-01-2007, 10:53 AM
So far so good with our 06 after 4 months, in the clutch department anyway. No noises there yet, although we only have 2800k's on it and it's developing a low idle like rattle from the engine bay when the aircon is running and car is stationary. At idle with no A/C, the engine is just as quiet and smooth as new. With the airconditioning on, Revs do increase to compensate but the motor seems like it is under idle speed and vibrates with a plasticy sounding rattle. My guess is at the next service, the mechanic will look at it; and ME with a dumb look.... and tell me this is normal ;) . I can understand so clearly why a lot of us would wish to fix these problems ourselves, even if your car is under warranty!

Cheers, Aaron

EuroDude
10-01-2007, 11:05 AM
^ my MY06 also vibrates during A/C idle and u can feel it through the steering wheel. but pretty much all cars do that anyway.

I dont get an idle rattle though. Sound ricochets through the car so:

1) Make sure the A Pillar seals on the outside are pushed in properly.
2) Lower the front windows down a centimeter and see if that solves the rattle.
3) Make sure there arent any loose objects such as sunglasses and coins in the various compartments in the cabin.
4) Lightly thump parts of the engine bay to determine whats loose.

Chris_F
10-01-2007, 11:17 AM
hopefully the clutch creak is a non-issue with the 06s because that may suggest a revised master cylinder design (fingers crossed)

EuroDude
10-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Nope its definetely an issue with the MY06.

My 06 has had the problem twice.

Monty77
10-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks Eurodude. Yeah, the sound can't be heard from inside the vehicle. I tried the window thing (that is a story on it's own!)...and I have a healthy hatred for loose stuff in compartments etc, but I will check those too. Standing near driver side wheel with the bonnet open (Engine and A/C running) It seems like it's coming from between the driver side strut and the motor, or around where the drive belt runs (Probably a plastic cover or idler pulley or something). My wife says I'm too pedantic about these kind of things:confused: , but I will get to the bottom of it!:p

EuroAccord13
10-01-2007, 02:39 PM
I just got back from the dealer and with divine intervention, I couldn't replicate the noise to the dealer!!!! ARGH!!!!!

EuroDude
10-01-2007, 02:43 PM
^ thats because its usually triggered after driving 10 minutes, and when its humid weather.

EuroAccord13
10-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Mine is random... Happens cold, warm, hot, instantly, over 10 minutes or 1 hour... It's very random...

But today before I started the car, the creak was there, then at the dealership, it was gone...

EuroDude
10-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Stick a humidifier in the cabin for a few minutes :p Actually what u could try is turning the heater on and closing the windows for say 10 minutes at the dealer, then give it a try. The heat should expand the metal and hopefully trigger the creaking.

Mines started creaking quite badly now. Gonna spray some Lithium grease on the pedal linkage and see how that goes, before getting honda to replace the Master Cyl...

aaronng
10-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Lithium grease on the linkage will do jack. hahahaha...

EuroAccord13's MC is special.

Chris_F
10-01-2007, 05:07 PM
So over driving my car with a sponge for a clutch

EuroDude
10-01-2007, 05:46 PM
w00t I fixed the creaking!

I pushed the clutch to ensure it was still creaking at the time (it was loud as ever), then got some Silicon spray and sprayed directly into the piston part you see in the pic below.
Straight away the creak went away and felt as new :thumbsup:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/431/euroclutchfixxz1.jpg

Give this a try before taking the car to ur dealer.

aaronng
10-01-2007, 05:52 PM
^^ Yup, that is how you do it!

Chris_F
10-01-2007, 05:58 PM
^^ Yup, that is how you do it!

that's exactly what i did but nothing happened :(

is it possible that mines creaking in a place the spray can't get too?

aaronng
10-01-2007, 05:59 PM
that's exactly what i did but nothing happened :(

is it possible that mines creaking in a place the spray can't get too?
Did you press the pedal in halfway before spraying? Your creaking could be from the pedal assembly or from the slave cylinder....

Also, don't spray too much as brake fluid + silicone = gel.

Chris_F
10-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Did you press the pedal in halfway before spraying? Your creaking could be from the pedal assembly or from the slave cylinder....

Also, don't spray too much as brake fluid + silicone = gel.

yep made sure it was pressed halfway before i sprayed a few quick squirts - nothing...

Honda is ordering me a new master cylinder, now I'll have to cross my fingers that it will actually solve the problem, like you said it could be the slave cylinder. I doubt it's the pedal assembly tho because at friction point the clutch goes spongy and is inconsistent.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see - maybe my creak is beyond DIY repair

EuroDude
10-01-2007, 06:22 PM
yep made sure it was pressed halfway before i sprayed a few quick squirts - nothing...

What brand+type of spray are you using? Lithium? Silicon?

I actually just sprayed on the top of it without pushing the clutch in at all and it totally got rid of the noise (but pushed and sprayed a 2nd time so it will last longer). I guess mine wasn't in bad condition.

Chris_F
10-01-2007, 06:45 PM
food grade silicon spray- the same stuff Aaron used

Mine may have deteriorated too far before i got round to lubing it

EuroDude
10-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Clutch hydraulic component diagram ftw

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3733/clutchcomponentdiagramzv1.th.gif (http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clutchcomponentdiagramzv1.gif)

Surely the creaking sound can't travel up from the Slave Cylinder to the Master Cylinder? guess it depends on how loud the creaking noise is...

Euro76
10-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I haven't had that problem, only owning Euro for 2 days now and still 90kms on odo. Hopefully it doesn't happen to me.

Chris_F
10-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Clutch hydraulic component diagram ftw

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3733/clutchcomponentdiagramzv1.th.gif (http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clutchcomponentdiagramzv1.gif)

Surely the creaking sound can't travel up from the Slave Cylinder to the Master Cylinder? guess it depends on how loud the creaking noise is...

thanks for the diagram :)

by the looks the slave cylinder couldnt really be causing the creaking directly at all.

Chris_F
24-01-2007, 08:36 PM
well my car is finally fixed.

the problem:

clutch creaking when warm and turning into a metallic click and inconsistent friction point when warmer.

the solution:

clutch pedal needed adjustment - there wasn't enough free play and the throw out bearing wasn't working optimally. The throw out bearing was also re-lubed for piece of mind and some rust in the area was cleaned up

clutch feels as new - I'm stoked!

this is after Honda recommend I drop the box for a measly sum of $1700+

EuroDude
24-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Good stuff!

Who did the pedal adjustment? Honda?

There's rust already? Where abouts?

Chris_F
24-01-2007, 09:09 PM
hehe yep was quite happy

I had the pedal adjusted at Centrax ( a mechanic that deals with a lot of hondas)

My theory about the problem: the pedal was set slightly too low when the clutch was installed and the problem didn't become evident until now because the clutch has worn and the hydraulic system has tried to self adjust but didn't have enough free play to do so. With increased temps the clutch fluid began to expand and make the problem worse.

I think the rust was near/around the throw out bearing but I'd have to confirm that with the mechanic - I do know that he greased the throw out bearing though.

just glad its back to normal...

if anyone with an aftermarket clutch/flywheel job on there euro is experiencing strange noises of any kind I think a good first step is to ensure the pedal is adjusted correctly and everything is lubed/greased well.

On a side... the grinding noise I heard during deceleration has also quietened down a bit (once again I'm guessing the throw out bearing was being caused to spin when it wasn't meant to because of the adjustment problem)

that's as well as I can explain haha probably a load of mish mash but it might help others in the future

aaronng
26-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Good news that it's fixed Chris! To adjust your free play, you just have to remove the clutch switch wire, loosen the nut holding the clutch switch and turn the switch anti-clockwise to get it to come out further and give you more free play. Then just tighten the nut and reattach the wire.

Could you ask your mech how he lubed the throwout bearing?

aznsiko
26-01-2007, 03:15 PM
GREASE LUBE WD40 what ever you can reach or find.. just lubricate the bastard.. and kick it a few times should be good afterwards.. just did for a friends S13..

aaronng
26-01-2007, 04:58 PM
GREASE LUBE WD40 what ever you can reach or find.. just lubricate the bastard.. and kick it a few times should be good afterwards.. just did for a friends S13..

WD40 actually dissolves grease. So eventhough it does provide some form of lubrication, it does not last long and you'll have to reapply very often.

Chris_F
26-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Good news that it's fixed Chris! To adjust your free play, you just have to remove the clutch switch wire, loosen the nut holding the clutch switch and turn the switch anti-clockwise to get it to come out further and give you more free play. Then just tighten the nut and reattach the wire.

Could you ask your mech how he lubed the throwout bearing?

I was relieved as well :)

thanks - should let me adjust it myself in the future...

apparently he was able to do it without dropping the tranny by using a mirror and greased wadding on the end of a wire... i think that's what he said - but next time I get a chance to speak to him I'll confirm what he did exactly

aday
01-02-2007, 02:38 PM
After putting up with my clutch squeaking for the last couple of months (consistent squeak and notchy pedal feel, in hot or cold weather), I took my car in to the dealer yesterday to get it checked.

The service manager spoke to a tech at Honda Australia about the problem. Apparently Honda has now produced a new technical bulletin, to be sent to all Australian dealers this week, that documents a lengthy procedure to fix the problem permanently (assuming that's possible with stock parts). My dealer suggested that more than just the master cylinder was likely to be replaced, but the downside is they'll need the car for at least two days in order to perform all the work required.

But if it prevents the problem from reoccurring, and saves Honda the cost of x master cylinder replacements (as has been the case for many posters in this thread), then it'll be worthwhile. Fingers crossed.

EuroAccord13
01-02-2007, 02:48 PM
The bulletin will be released this week? Better be quick because my warranty ends next week!

EuroDude
01-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Sweet! is there a link/reference?

The only product recall I see is the trunk harness
http://www.recalls.gov.au/search_recall_namesearch.php?product_name=accord+e uro&Submit2=Submit
http://www.recalls.gov.au/view_recall_detail.php?Recall_ID_Auto=13139

aday
01-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Sweet! is there a link/reference?

Sorry, I don't have anything to go on yet, except for my conversation with the service manager over the phone just now. He will contact me as soon as this bulletin arrives, to book my car in. When I take it in, I'll see if I can't get my hands on a copy of the bulletin and scan it in for you.

EuroDude
01-02-2007, 03:30 PM
That'll be great, thx.

I doubt it would be on recalls.gov.au anyway since its only a service bulletin

aaronng
01-02-2007, 04:02 PM
The service manager spoke to a tech at Honda Australia about the problem. Apparently Honda has now produced a new technical bulletin, to be sent to all Australian dealers this week, that documents a lengthy procedure to fix the problem permanently (assuming that's possible with stock parts). My dealer suggested that more than just the master cylinder was likely to be replaced, but the downside is they'll need the car for at least two days in order to perform all the work required.

But if it prevents the problem from reoccurring, and saves Honda the cost of x master cylinder replacements (as has been the case for many posters in this thread), then it'll be worthwhile. Fingers crossed.

This bulletin has been around for the TSX in the US. It involves replacing the master cylinder. The problem with this fix is that the "new" master cylinders also has the same defect that makes them creak after a while. The problem will probably come back unless Honda pressures its supplier to design a 3rd generation master cylinder for the Euro (and other creaky models).

aday
01-02-2007, 04:09 PM
This bulletin has been around for the TSX in the US. It involves replacing the master cylinder. The problem with this fix is that the "new" master cylinders also has the same defect that makes them creak after a while. The problem will probably come back unless Honda pressures its supplier to design a 3rd generation master cylinder for the Euro (and other creaky models).

The impression I got from the dealer was that there are other parts that contribute to / exacerbate the problem with the master cylinder, and that these too would be replaced. Mind you, it's entirely possible that I was just being told what I wanted to hear. At any rate, I'll see if I can track down a copy of the bulletin.

aaronng
01-02-2007, 05:25 PM
A copy of the bulletin would be great! :thumbsup: