PDA

View Full Version : problem! car won't start

eight
17-10-2009, 12:09 AM
hey,

tonight i removed the battery from my car to use on another car which had a flat battery to get the car moved.

anyway, when i put the battery back in my car the car won't start!

any ideas?

could it be the battery doesn't have enough charge in it to start the car?

i was thinking it could be an immoboliser issue as well. how do i fix this?

to note the dash lights arent turning on at all and there is no kick, noise or anything when i turn the ignition. nothing from the fuel pump either.

what else can it be and how do i fix this??

thanks!!

im.Kusuma
17-10-2009, 01:01 AM
if it is the battry... try jump start it.. Try looking at ignition fuse. :S not sure.

PHM91
17-10-2009, 03:46 AM
its most likely your battery, try what im.kusuma said, if that doesnt work check all your ground cables in your engine bay and while your at it check the fuse box and under your dash

markgonzales3
17-10-2009, 06:51 AM
get new batt, lol

aaronng
17-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Check your fuses first. Then check the voltage across the battery with a multimeter, both when the battery is just sitting there and when trying to start the engine. If the voltage drops significantly when you try to start the engine, the battery needs to be replaced.

SuiJin
17-10-2009, 11:03 AM
check u put the terminals on properly lol.

eight
17-10-2009, 05:24 PM
aaronng - i've checked most of the fuses and they seem fine, in case i've missed it, which fuses in particular should i be looking at?

terminals are on properly lol my remote still locks/unlocks the doors but nothing for the ignition

aaronng
17-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Then measure the voltage of your battery before and during starting. It should read at least 12V.

eight
17-10-2009, 06:08 PM
battery seems fine, tried the same battery on another car and it started up as normal.

also tried to jump start it with no luck

i've concluded it must be the immobiliser. the alarm is acting up now it wont open the passenger side door.

how did this all happen from just removing the battery for like 20 mins???

can i somehow passby the immobiliser?

thanks

aaronng
17-10-2009, 06:21 PM
If you have an aftermarket alarm, do you have the key to disable it?

NSPYRE
17-10-2009, 06:25 PM
you should have one of these when changing ur battery on a car with immobiliser

http://www.tayna.co.uk/getimage.php?image=tayna_caraccessories/gunsonimm.jpg

plugs into ur cigarette lighter and stores everything from time on the clock, radio stations, to immobiliser related things.

anywho, by-passing the immobiliser varies from model to model. try to find ur instruction manual and work it out from there.

bennjamin
17-10-2009, 06:58 PM
just a hint incase you didnt try it - check the POSITIVE and NEGATIVE are FIRMLY held/tight. The car will not often start or transfer voltage if teh cables are loose. Check !

WATAJK
17-10-2009, 10:08 PM
You might of short circuit'd it when you've swapped between cars.