PDA

View Full Version : miscellaneous maintenance

rookie_gsi_act
17-10-2009, 11:08 AM
hey guys, planning to sell my car in about 2 weeks, its dc4 so its got lots of rattles and id like to minimize that. The main problems i have are :

window makes noise when going up and down
sun roof makes noise when openng
breaks screech when i break at a slow speed
other random rattles (but i can find the screws and tighten them, hopefuly that will work).

if you guys could help me with some pointers as to how i can make the noises go away i would much appreciate it thanks.

NSPYRE
17-10-2009, 11:32 AM
WD40 or silicone spray for ur sunroof. just spray along the rails and keep opening and closing over and over til it stops. might need quite a bit to spray on.

as for ur brakes, find out why its screeching first, then u can work on that

aaronng
17-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Don't use WD-40. It attacks rubber and plastic. Use either silicone spray or some rubber/trim restorer like 303 protectant/armorall.

rookie_gsi_act
17-10-2009, 12:21 PM
ok thanks guys, yeah how do i find out about the brakes? i checked the pads they're fine got heaps left i changed about 15k ago...

Sleepy.
17-10-2009, 05:24 PM
just take it to your local mechanic and get the brakes checked.

NSPYRE
17-10-2009, 05:39 PM
good chance its ur rotors. un-even or really worn down brake rotor surfaces causes high frequency vibrations, which we hear as the squeal's.

also, different pads are made of different friction materials and some are just noisier than others.

aaronng
17-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Check if you have the anti-squeal shims installed on the pads. If for some reason they are not, then get some from the wreckers or use liquid anti-squeal.

rookie_gsi_act
18-10-2009, 10:54 PM
hey thanks guys for your replies ill check it out and see if i can figure it out.