PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] NSW ride height defect after lowering?

~mSPo~
18-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi all,

i am in sydney and am looking to either get eibach springs or tein ss coilovers. the eibach springs drop the car about 40mm+ and with the tein ss i would like a similar height with about a 2 finger gap between wheel and wheel arch.

my question is, the stock ride height of the CL9 is 130-140mm, thus the drop would mean there is less than the 100mm clearance that is required. what would happen if i get defected?

also, for those who are lowered similar or lower than that height, any experiences with cops? do they not measure CL9's because they arent boy racer cars?

i have been going through the forums extensively and i know members like rein, .QD, akina, doosra, tony1234 and various other members have heights i reckon are lower than 100mm, any problems?

thanks guys!

felixd
18-10-2009, 05:33 PM
if you get defected u must fix the defect till its not defect :) using eibach wont get u defected anyways cops got other things to wrry about other than checkin out lowered honda euro ?

~mSPo~
18-10-2009, 05:40 PM
if you get defected u must fix the defect till its not defect :) using eibach wont get u defected anyways cops got other things to wrry about other than checkin out lowered honda euro ?

man thats wat im hoping, the euro looks crap at stock height. i dont want to be bugged by cops everytime at RBTs etc. i just hate how the front of the CL9 hangs so low and also the massive wheel arches!!

maybe airsussy like you would be the solution felix ;)

felixd
18-10-2009, 05:51 PM
i think last time theres one member here who just lowered his car recently using lowering springs only . from 5 fingers gap to about 2-3 fingers ?

.QD
18-10-2009, 05:54 PM
First time I got my coil-overs (N+) installed, I was on stockies and I got pulled over I was like 80mm from the ground, cops didnt even noticed.... instead they told me off for having my foggies on, that's about it.

Now I have 1finger gap with 19's. Height not noticable. I think cops will only really hassle you if you have one of those "fully sick" drops, like half your wheels tucking @ the rear and crazy camber.

I think my front lip atm is between 90-100mm from the ground.

~mSPo~
18-10-2009, 06:02 PM
ahah sweet .QD thats wat i wanna hear! now im gonna do a nice drop that im after. the stock height just looks bad. i'll probably go with 2 finger gap front and 1 at the back to be safe.

what happens with defects? just adjust the height back to stock, clear the defect, then slam it back down again? im sure there must be a number of times you can get defected for same offence before they take you to court right?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
18-10-2009, 06:05 PM
what happens with defects?

just adjust the height back to stock, clear the defect, then slam it back down again

Damn right you do.

~mSPo~
18-10-2009, 06:08 PM
^ hahah it cant be that simple could it?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
18-10-2009, 06:13 PM
It is.

tony1234
18-10-2009, 06:27 PM
I have Eibach/Bilstein combo.Had it for over 3 yrs.Never been pulled over,checked etc.Doesn't look like it's even been lowered unless you park next to a stock height Euro so go for it,you wont regret it.:D

~mSPo~
18-10-2009, 06:35 PM
I have Eibach/Bilstein combo.Had it for over 3 yrs.Never been pulled over,checked etc.Doesn't look like it's even been lowered unless you park next to a stock height Euro so go for it,you wont regret it.:D

is this how your car looks like tony? i found a pic of a tsx with eibach prokit...

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/xxkevo/TSX/stock02.jpg

you can tell straight away that its lowered =(

eibach springs are good. but my theory is, because the springs only stiffen the ride at enthusiastic speeds, that would be going up speedhumps and driveways at low speeds, the dampening would be softer thus more prone to scraping. whereas with coilovers, the dampening is stiffer thus less scrape. am i correct?

lilwilliam
18-10-2009, 08:02 PM
im lowered on ebiach pro kit springs and stock shocks and this is how it sits.. the rear looks abit funny cos of the driveway but it gives u a general idea
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1875/dsc01505op.jpg (http://img148.imageshack.us/i/dsc01505op.jpg/)

Xplodin
18-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm with Tony1234 on this one... Ok so the first pic is of before shot and the last one is after. The Rear is alittle bit lower because we had put the front shock purch on the wrong way but thats now fixed and is now even.

I've got the same set up as Tony1234 and i bluddy love it! I can't ask for a better shock and spring combo!

Before
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e172/Xplodin/P1000009.jpg

After
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e172/Xplodin/P1000030.jpg

lilwilliam
18-10-2009, 08:44 PM
would stock shocks make a diff?? my rear seems to sit higher then ur one..

aaronng
18-10-2009, 08:50 PM
would stock shocks make a diff?? my rear seems to sit higher then ur one..

Yes, stock shocks have the lower spring perch at a different height to aftermarket shocks.

aaronng
18-10-2009, 08:53 PM
eibach springs are good. but my theory is, because the springs only stiffen the ride at enthusiastic speeds, that would be going up speedhumps and driveways at low speeds, the dampening would be softer thus more prone to scraping. whereas with coilovers, the dampening is stiffer thus less scrape. am i correct?

If you don't lower it a stupid amount then it won't scrape. Of course, there are stupid driveways as well which will challenge even a stock car!

At low speeds, coilovers have poor damping, unless you have Tein Monoflex or Toda Fightex. Bilstein or Koni shocks have better damping at low speed when compared to cheaper coils like N+, SS, Flex, Ksport, BC.

~mSPo~
18-10-2009, 09:35 PM
ok..thanks everyone for the input! much appreciated! Im not one of those who want the car to look ridiculously low, just want the car to sit lower than stock. .QD's ride height is pretty close to what im after.

Xplodin, that second pic, the rear is heaps lower (as you explained), but now that u have fixed the problem, is the front and rear similar to the rear of the second pic or slightly higher?

~mSPo~
19-10-2009, 07:08 PM
I hear that ppl can be taken to court etc for repeatable defect notices when i read a post by rein :confused:

how many times would u be defected before something serious happens (eg. going to court etc)? and what are the red stickers in NSW?

doosra
19-10-2009, 07:11 PM
go with coilovers man.. that way if you get done by the cops, raise it yourself, get it cleared and then lower it again.

They're cheap now.. $1699 from a trader on ozhonda: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117845&highlight=buddyclub

I've got mine lowered on these and they're awesome.. sits low, but high enough not to scrape over everything at low speeds. I've only had an issue with my ride height once with the cops and that's cause i was sitting on 18's.. and my buddyclub exhaust hangs really low..

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5528/img3362desktopresolutio.jpg

xsite85
19-10-2009, 08:10 PM
sorry for stealing your thread... just wanted to know.. the price of installation for coilovers?

or is there a DIY.. we can do at home?

~mSPo~
19-10-2009, 08:20 PM
^ mate if your in Sydney, speak to the mod Benjamin. he does it for a really good price ;)
i have ordered tein ss...btw stealing my thread and it has nothing to do with defects?! :p

euro1603
19-10-2009, 08:46 PM
go with coilovers man.. that way if you get done by the cops, raise it yourself, get it cleared and then lower it again.

They're cheap now.. $1699 from a trader on ozhonda: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117845&highlight=buddyclub

I've got mine lowered on these and they're awesome.. sits low, but high enough not to scrape over everything at low speeds. I've only had an issue with my ride height once with the cops and that's cause i was sitting on 18's.. and my buddyclub exhaust hangs really low..

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5528/img3362desktopresolutio.jpg

wow another Euro R, did you import this from japan ?

~mSPo~
19-10-2009, 08:56 PM
wow another Euro R, did you import this from japan ?

no way man, it would cost waaaay too much to import a CL7 (if even possible at all). You can buy the badge off ebay bro ;)

btw, y import all the way from japan, just get it from new zealand. fancy them getting it and not us rofl

aaronng
19-10-2009, 08:57 PM
sorry for stealing your thread... just wanted to know.. the price of installation for coilovers?

Did you try looking at the first page of the Accord Euro section? You would have seen this thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120925

ndeuro_
20-10-2009, 12:47 PM

you goon felix. i get owned all the time =[

sameol3
21-10-2009, 04:32 PM

I have noticed the thread for installation of coilovers and attempted to swap my current buddy club N+ spec to a set of Tein SS and found out that the Teins body is actually longer then the Buddy clubs, and so i couldn't squeeze the Teins onto the fork as described in the diagrams of the DIY.

so i made a couple of calls around for a price for install and found out a couple of places in sydney. Most places were quoting around the $220 mark but i got mine done at hanneys for $180 installed but without wheel alignment, but it's up to you depending what you think is more reputable.

felixd
21-10-2009, 06:53 PM
you goon felix. i get owned all the time =[

:P hehe

~mSPo~
21-10-2009, 08:27 PM
just out of curiosity, do all states in oz have the same guidelines as to how high the car must be off the ground? because i will be working interstate occasionally in melbourne.

ndeuro_
21-10-2009, 08:42 PM
as far as i know its 10cm clearance from the lowest point of the car. whether that be the bumper or exhaust or headers. not sure about other states

Lochstar_69
21-10-2009, 09:30 PM
melb is 100mm on the lowest point of the car :( why cant we drive

~mSPo~
21-10-2009, 09:41 PM
ndeuro, how many times u been defected :p
ur the one with the luckystar kit and slammed on tein ss right?

Crapdaz
28-10-2009, 06:45 AM
i'd say go for eibach and not tein SS....

once you lower it the 1st time,
you will want to lower it more.

After that you won't be able to enter shopping centres, work carparks and various speed humps..(depending where your living in sydney)...

my 2c

tony1234
28-10-2009, 05:22 PM
i'd say go for eibach and not tein SS....

once you lower it the 1st time,
you will want to lower it more.

After that you won't be able to enter shopping centres, work carparks and various speed humps..(depending where your living in sydney)...

my 2c
Agreed.Good advice.

snYpz
28-10-2009, 05:42 PM
^ yeah thats true. But i would definitely recommend tein SS. As good as the eibachs are, the coilovers allow more play with ride height. It really depends on the person that you are and the image/look that you want to reflect.

Originally i wanted a mild drop to keep the stock look, but the longer i had the car the more i adjusted the height to suit that look and the practicality that i needed. I think coilovers allow more customisation of the look of the car imo

on the other hand, some shocks (i think Koni, not sure about bilstein), you can also adjust the perch and height of the car?

tony1234
28-10-2009, 05:46 PM
^ yeah thats true. But i would definitely recommend tein SS. As good as the eibachs are, the coilovers allow more play with ride height. It really depends on the person that you are and the image/look that you want to reflect.

Originally i wanted a mild drop to keep the stock look, but the longer i had the car the more i adjusted the height to suit that look and the practicality that i needed. I think coilovers allow more customisation of the look of the car imo

on the other hand, some shocks (i think Koni, not sure about bilstein), you can also adjust the perch and height of the car?
Koni yes.Bilstein no.

snYpz
28-10-2009, 08:47 PM
^ tony1234, you and your short responses! but always straight to the point and concise :p

demons21
29-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I have an 06' Euro Lux and am also considering lowering. Eibach seems to be the way to go and was thinking a 1.5" at the front and 1" drop at the back? But I have been told, I should drop it 2.5" at the front and 2" at the rear or maybe more (don't want to look too fully sic though) !! I will also be installing a Whiteline rear sway bar! I heard it makes allot of difference with body roll, is this true?..Anybody know of a good place in Brisbane that I can get it all done at the one time?

Crapdaz
29-10-2009, 11:33 AM
I have an 06' Euro Lux and am also considering lowering. Eibach seems to be the way to go and was thinking a 1.5" at the front and 1" drop at the back? But I have been told, I should drop it 2.5" at the front and 2" at the rear or maybe more (don't want to look too fully sic though) !! I will also be installing a Whiteline rear sway bar! I heard it makes allot of difference with body roll, is this true?..Anybody know of a good place in Brisbane that I can get it all done at the one time?
Note: if you do coils + rear swaybar together you won't notice as much difference when you do RSB then coilies.

2.5" F and 2" rear sounds right for a nice even look...

Sorry not from brizzy so can't help you there.