PDA

View Full Version : 37 and my car was 99 need help.

FastFwd
19-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Ok so on the weekend it got to 37. My car didnt like it at all. For the last 8 months or so its been running at around 84 degree's but since the heat over the weekend it climbed upto 99 on my Power FC hand controller. But on my Dash the dial didnt move higher than below half.

I got a Toyo Thick half sized radiator in my EG which helped alot last summer but now all of a sudden im having the same issue. Its usually the worst on the freeway when on constant RPM's.

Could it be Thermostat? I gave my radiator a pressure clean out about 6 months ago also.

Limbo
19-10-2009, 01:57 PM
you'll find the dash is not a very good indicator, until its too late.
so long as the water temp doesn't move though it should be fine.
I haven't paid any attention to my PFC if the dash don't move.

I have the half core also, but you still have a boosted car.

Have a look at the thermostate, some do get seized half open or something. I know mine stuffed up that way

FastFwd
19-10-2009, 02:02 PM
you'll find the dash is not a very good indicator, until its too late.
so long as the water temp doesn't move though it should be fine.
I haven't paid any attention to my PFC if the dash don't move.

I have the half core also, but you still have a boosted car.

Have a look at the thermostat, some do get seized half open or something. I know mine stuffed up that way

yeh im always paying attention to my PFC hand controller. Always check knock, temps and air temps etc.

My koyo radiator made a big difference going from the stock one. I never had this problem last year. I mean it got upto 89 degree's but it never got to 99. Then the dash dial didnt even move so i was all confused...

I've never replaced my thermostat. Might pull it off this week and check it out. How will i know theres something wrong?

rob1000
19-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Put your thermostat in a pot and heat. watch as the water starts to approach boiling point the thermostat should open before boiling. if not then replace it :)

one of those roasting thermometers will help to know at what temp it opens at and make sure its correct for ya EG

FastFwd
19-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Put your thermostat in a pot and heat. watch as the water starts to approach boiling point the thermostat should open before boiling. if not then replace it :)

one of those roasting thermometers will help to know at what temp it opens at and make sure its correct for ya EG

cheers...

yeh its been in the engine since i got it from japan so it should be the right one.

flipfire
19-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Check theres no dead birds or animals obstructing the rad

lol

Limbo
19-10-2009, 03:51 PM
if that was the case then there would be more issues.

lol

Yeah my half core did quite a difference also, but i can't say for the temp, nver looked. I do know my stock thermostat cooked itself, and that was fairly obvious as it went all the way up to the hot... lucky for me no damage was done.

anyway, so long as the temp is not going beyond half it is still ok. You running proper coolant?

FastFwd
19-10-2009, 04:19 PM
if that was the case then there would be more issues.

Yeah my half core did quite a difference also, but i can't say for the temp, nver looked. I do know my stock thermostat cooked itself, and that was fairly obvious as it went all the way up to the hot... lucky for me no damage was done.

anyway, so long as the temp is not going beyond half it is still ok. You running proper coolant?

Nah im only running water atm. Always told honda's run nicer with water and not coolant. Should i get some good coolant or cheap coolant? or doesnt matter just get some coolant?

would it make a 10 degree difference tho?

FastFwd
19-10-2009, 04:22 PM

lol

Front mount would catch it first :|

seihoa
19-10-2009, 04:32 PM
ur temps shouldnt be higher on the hwy with constant rpm should it ? did u have ur ac on?

I thought it would of been lower due to the high speed and air flow into the radiator and motor.

my car runs around 95ish on those hot humid days.

FastFwd
19-10-2009, 04:39 PM
ur temps shouldnt be higher on the hwy with constant rpm should it ? did u have ur ac on?

I thought it would of been lower due to the high speed and air flow into the radiator and motor.

my car runs around 95ish on those hot humid days.

Dont have AC anymore due to turbo.

Yeh i thought that high speeds lower rpm would keep it cooler but it must be because of constant rpm it heats up.

My cars never ran over 89 in the past.

FastFwd
19-10-2009, 04:40 PM
My front mounts pretty big...it completely covers my radiator. Could that be it?

I guess it cant cos i havent had this in the past.

rob1000
19-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Nah im only running water atm. Always told honda's run nicer with water and not coolant. Should i get some good coolant or cheap coolant? or doesnt matter just get some coolant?

would it make a 10 degree difference tho?

mate get that water out. who told you honda's run better with water?? I've never heard of a good reason to put water in modern cars... your block, heating system and cooling system can ALL corrode and cause leaks from straight water.

You need the anti-corrosive properties in anti freeze. Also anti freeze/boil raises boiling point which would definitely be a help for you with an already problematic cooling system ;)

rob1000
19-10-2009, 05:05 PM
one other thing

Have you checked your water pump? Is it leaking water or squeaking or anything?

FastFwd
19-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Maybe i should get a flush solution, clean it all out and then put some nice coolant in and then see how i go.

rob1000
19-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Maybe i should get a flush solution, clean it all out and then put some nice coolant in and then see how i go.

yeah for sure all the water would have chemicals and minerals etc. Flush all that out and go grab some decent coolant. Also still test out ya thermostat though

gambate
19-10-2009, 09:30 PM
we dont need anti-freeze here, only need anti-corrosion, i use redline water wetter + distilled water, their marketing phrases on the label says anti-freeze reduces heat transfer efficiency:p.

FastFwd
24-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Ok so today i pulled out my radiator and flushed it out, so much crappy water in there. Flushed out my engine as much as i can with the thermostat in. Even on Thursday with 28 degree weather my car was heating up to 89 degree's. Heres my progress...

Heres the crappy water that came out:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/IMGP0145.jpg

I'm using this to sit in my radiator to soak because there was alot of crap build up in there when i looked down the opening:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/IMGP0135.jpghttp://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/IMGP0133.jpg

Machined the inlets so they get a nice seal when i put them back in:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/IMGP0136.jpg

Cleaned and polished the Temp sensor, it had massive layers of crap on there:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/IMGP0144.jpg

Tested the Thermostat and it seamed to work heres pics with it opened:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/IMGP0119.jpghttp://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/IMGP0120.jpg

Heres with it closed:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/IMGP0131.jpg

And this is the new coolant ill be using:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/fastfwdcivic/IMGP0134.jpg

So tomorrow i will be putting it all back in and hopefully it should do the trick.

Do you think it was because of the crappy water i had in there?

FastFwd
25-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Ok so i put it all back together and as soon as i drove it out of my house the car went straight upto 88 degree's and then it went back down to 86 then 84 and stayed there. I have a feeling there might be something wrong with the thermostat. When i did the test on the stove i didnt check when the thing would open. But i think mines opening at 88 degree's which is much to late.

Anyone know how much a stock thermostat for a b16a2 is? or a mugen one?

02gzm
29-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Get a low temp thermostat + fan switch from one of the traders. The thermostat will probably be around $100.

That orange tinge to the water you pulled out of your radiator is rust too btw. That's why it isn't good to use water in the system ;)

FastFwd
29-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Get a low temp thermostat + fan switch from one of the traders. The thermostat will probably be around $100.

That orange tinge to the water you pulled out of your radiator is rust too btw. That's why it isn't good to use water in the system ;)

I dont have a switch, got mine connected to the ACC so its on all the time...just bought a Mugen low temp thermostat, chucking it in this weekend. So that should help.

i think its my thermostat thats stuffed.