PDA

View Full Version : Enginebay rattle

eapurado
19-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey guys,

New to the forum. Just got a DC2 Integra. There's a bit of a rattle coming from the engine bay. Only happens in 3rd gear and higher, not evident in idle at all. Seems to be coming from the front right as it's louder on the right than the left. I know it's not the wheels/rolling stock, because it seems to be consistent with the car when it revs. I'm thinking of getting the cars gearbox oil replaced as a startIng point?

Thanks guys in advance

Jay

Bludger
19-10-2009, 08:23 PM
we're all very good at diagnosing unwanted sounds here at ozhonda. especially over this thing called the internet.

chowdaa
22-10-2009, 05:07 PM
what fuel are you using? sounds like pinging, only in 3rd gear? going up hill, with load on the engine? does it rattle more with more throttle? read up on detonation and get back to us for solutions.

Bludger
23-10-2009, 11:50 AM
what fuel are you using? sounds like pinging, only in 3rd gear? going up hill, with load on the engine? does it rattle more with more throttle? read up on detonation and get back to us for solutions.holy cow, why didn't I think of that, I think you might be spot on.

+ rep for that one.

to the OP, you need to retard the timing.

If you don't know how to do it, then take it to a mech and tell them to retard the timing because its pinging.

joyride
25-10-2009, 04:34 PM
do you think the gear shift linkage might be getting in contact with the exhaust housing cover? get under the car and have a look.

its hard to diagnose your problem without any other information or photos/video.
if you cant find the problem your best bet is your local mechanic.