PDA

View Full Version : Annoying rattle RD-1 CRV Sport

4thGenExi
19-10-2009, 06:43 PM
This is really p!ssing me off :(

I cannot for the life of me figure out where a rattle is coming from in our 2001 CRV sport. So far I've isolated it to somewhere in the rear seats to tailgate area but I just can't pin it down. I've tried every seat configuration there is, and taken the entire rear cargo area apart to try and find it. It's a knocking sound, as if a panel is loose, or something in a compartment somewhere is rattling or hitting against plastic. You notice it when you hit a slight bump in the road, like the stress points built into the storey bridge etc, speed bumps, that kinda thing.

I don't think it's the rear suspension knocking as I've stood on the towball and rocked the car up and down and it's dead silent, so it must be coming from somewhere inside the cabin :confused:

Anyone else had this problem? The car is in very good condition for it's age and has low kays. Maybe I should ask the dealer to have a look at it next service.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Ian

Alpine
23-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Rear noises can be common in the gen 1's. It is well documented over at http://www.hondasuv.com.

Check the tailgate hinges - there are small holes on the actual hinges where you can squeeze some lube into them. My gen 1 also had this and lubing the hinges made it go away.

It could also be other simple things. Have a look at that website and search for the symptom. It should give you some ideas on where to look if the hinges don't turn out to be the cause of your particular noise issue.

Good luck!

4thGenExi
25-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks man I'll give it a try

4thGenExi
25-10-2009, 11:18 PM
OK I think I've narrowed it down to the rear window struts - seem a bit loose. I reckon one of my GFs friends probably tried to open the tailgate first without popping the rear window glass. Grr...fail :(

Alpine
26-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Unfortunately also a common issue when "friends" try to open the rear tailgate for you!! The usually just try to rip open the door as if it were one piece.

Spoon-Accord
26-10-2009, 10:35 PM
might sound stupid

tried the roof rails?(roof rack thingy on top)

i had the same problem, found out it was the roof rack rails