PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem ? Can't put into gear

asiansquad
21-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi Guys,

I've got an EG and having issue putting into gear.
I start the car, then clutch in and attempt to put into gear but unable to.
Pushing in the clutch has some resistance as normal so it doesn't feel loose.
When engine is off, I'm able to put into gear with clutch push in.
But when I start the engine with the gears already in with clutch pushed in, the car still wants to move.
Only just happen tonight so haven't had a chance to look into it but any ideas fellas ?

asiansquad
22-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Just had a look this morning and there is fluid on the top of clutch pedal.
And clutch pedal is now fully loose.
Do I need to change the Master Cylinder ? Could it be anything else ?

lithium
22-10-2009, 12:51 PM
yeah it sounds like you've lost the fluid pressure in your clutch...possibly due to a leaking master cylinder as you said
have you checked the level of the clutch fluid reservoir under the bonnet?

wynode
22-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Sounds like your clutch is not disengaging properly (if at all).

If the fluid level is fine then it is either your master cylinder or slave cylinder. If those three are fine then you might have to pull the box out.

I'd start by checking your slave cylinder to see if the piston is moving.

AXS
29-10-2009, 05:25 AM
had the same problem mine was due to the clutch being gone

brybry
16-11-2009, 12:42 AM
Even if clutch is worn beyond use, he will still be able to put it into gear - it will just slip and he won't get far. I would be checking slave/master for leaks and normal operation before considering pulling box out

Niche14
16-11-2009, 12:52 AM
i got the same problem but mine is that all gears work except reverse, dont know why? it feels like the same resistance as when you would put it in 5th then rev, the lock, exactly the same. any ideas about that?

brybry
16-11-2009, 01:00 AM
^ not sure exactly what you mean by 'the lock', but your reverse gear may be a bit worn. Try moving shifter into 1st, then into reverse (with clutch in whole time) and you should be able to drive around it..

Niche14
16-11-2009, 10:41 AM
^ not sure exactly what you mean by 'the lock', but your reverse gear may be a bit worn. Try moving shifter into 1st, then into reverse (with clutch in whole time) and you should be able to drive around it..

the lock like when you throw it into5th then try into rev, like same feeling the whole time, ive tried that, pumping the clutch, going through all the gears, nothing..

xclusive_eg8
16-11-2009, 11:51 AM
yeah mine really doesnt like going directly into reverse, but i normally stay on the clutch, 2nd then reverse and its all good, but randomly sometimes it grinds into 3rd at flat shift (yeah i know dumb right)

wynode
18-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Even if clutch is worn beyond use, he will still be able to put it into gear - it will just slip and he won't get far. I would be checking slave/master for leaks and normal operation before considering pulling box out

Agreed. However a clutch that doesn't disengage properly will give problems when trying to get into gear.

i got the same problem but mine is that all gears work except reverse, dont know why? it feels like the same resistance as when you would put it in 5th then rev, the lock, exactly the same. any ideas about that?

What is the history with your box? If the box was taken apart and not put back together properly you could have problems getting into gear.

yeah mine really doesnt like going directly into reverse, but i normally stay on the clutch, 2nd then reverse and its all good, but randomly sometimes it grinds into 3rd at flat shift (yeah i know dumb right)

Reverse doesn't have synchros so that's why you should be at stand still before trying to engage reverse. I find it is best to go into fourth then reverse. Why fourth? Because it is close to reverse and close to 1:1 ratio.

xclusive_eg8
18-11-2009, 02:08 PM
yep that makes sense, im still trying to find out why 3rd grinds a bit on high rev change....seems bit odd to me

wynode
18-11-2009, 10:31 PM
yep that makes sense, im still trying to find out why 3rd grinds a bit on high rev change....seems bit odd to me
That is most probably because of worn synchros