PDA

View Full Version : SYD bike importers...viable option when getting a 2nd hand bike ?

bennjamin
25-10-2009, 08:46 PM
just a thought.

I have a pet love (had a model back in 92) of a honda VFR400 - noticed there are little in SYD and most are grey imports only.

What options do WE as local residents have when it comes to importing a bike from say japan ? Same SEVS rules apply to bikes too or ?

Also , anyone got some handy links in regards to this item of interest , and any possible businesses that might be able to direct me in a better dirtection.

cheers ben

Lepperfish
25-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Dunno about your question. But I love the rear rim and single swing arm on the VFR400.

Twincam16
25-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Ben - One year ownership import rule applies for private imports... other option is permission from the raw who has rights to that vehicle. Which is Sumoto in Vic.

Prob not worth going that path, for an RVF/VFR id just look locally. VFR should generally be cheaper than RVF due to its older age & non-LAMS approval though...

c0LL1n
28-10-2009, 02:34 PM
like twincam16 said would be a hassle trying to import a vfr400, a lot easier to buy one here already available. though these bikes arent very common and a lot have been turned into track bikes as well.

evilmai
09-11-2009, 09:08 PM
i wanted to go down this track too but as sum1 sed before they need to be complied by the company holding the rights for it. and whoever they may be (sumoto, imi) , wont comply it for you because they would rather you buy one of theirs. so basicly u got fuk all chance of getting one in unless its older than 1987 or something where then you would just need it to be approved by an engineer and rego'd or sumfing like that.

Twincam16
12-11-2009, 04:09 PM
^ Yeah thats it... I know you could get an NC23 NC30 (a VFR400) which is earlier than 87, but because Sumoto holds the compliancing for these, they will be the one who can approve. They will charge you $1000 to comply it, but you need to add to that the fees for bringing it in, as well as transporting it to and from Syd etc etc. Not a viable option.

If only they dropped this rule... Id go and snap up an RC45 from Japan... then hang it in my living room from the roof...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3302/3621891243_4383885d38_m.jpg