PDA

View Full Version : Turbo for EG Civic

CustomCivic
21-11-2003, 03:29 PM
Hi, ive got a Civic Si. D16A i think it is.

anyways ive been lookin for a turbo kit for a while now.. im no way an expert on them but i can get a second hand greddy kit from japan for around 3k ive also got an approx price from bob romano for an avo turbo kit fully installed for around 7-8k depending on what i want exactly.

the question i have is would i be spending more money in the long run if i got the greddy kit, things going wrong etc? would it pay to get the whole thing new installed at bob romano? i dont want to pay twice as much if i dont have to but i want something thats going to last and not have to be repaired all the time.

one more chance
21-11-2003, 03:41 PM
it depends what the greddy kit comprises of...most importantly does it come with a computer? how about an exhaust system? What condition is the goods? You will have to expect to pay alittle more with fitting of the kit too, plus also the possibility of getting it tuned. this also doesn't take into account some detail that may go wrong.
i'd go for the avo kit as it comprises of everything and you have the added bonus of having some sort of warranty with it. the bob romano workshop if very creditable as well...

Weq
21-11-2003, 08:56 PM
[edit] sorry i tried.

vti-2
22-11-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Weq:
Seriously dont waste ur time asking aussie honda ppl for advice on any DIY mods, they are either clueless gits, or reps from workshops with no real advice apart from give them money and they will give ua 10 second car.

Not true. That might be the case in Sydney but down here in Melbourne we have a lot of respectable tuners/workshops. Have a look at the drag list on fullboost in the FWD category and see how many are Honda's built right here in Melbourne. :thumbsup:

Try not to generalise too much.

civicboy
22-11-2003, 11:22 AM
There is a shop in Silverwater, where they do turbo & tune & they're also a retail store selling mags & big ass turbos....they work on alot of cars there. The shop is called Croydon Racing....try that if u want m8.

Goodluck!

Weq
22-11-2003, 11:35 AM
[edit] sorry.

Havok
22-11-2003, 11:36 AM
Seriously dont waste ur time asking aussie honda ppl for advice on any DIY mods, they are either clueless gits, or reps from workshops with no real advice apart from give them money and they will give ua 10 second car.

Not true. That might be the case in Sydney but down here in Melbourne we have a lot of respectable tuners/workshops. Have a look at the drag list on fullboost in the FWD category and see how many are Honda's built right here in Melbourne. :thumbsup:

Try not to generalise too much.

Its not the case in sydney either...online performance and croydon are just a few examples of sydney based workshops who know their shit with hondas..

Weq
22-11-2003, 11:38 AM
[edit] sorry

civicboy
22-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Weq: im just saying that, i ddnt mean that he should get a "big ass turbo" for his civic. hehehe foo

Well he can ask for it coz my m8 with a eg hatch, wanted to get a turbo done ther but i dunno how he's goin now coz i havent talked to him yet. & a freind of mine again got his car tune there.

& im just recommending a place to go, coz some1 said that dont waste ur time......so ya...wats up man :?:

Weq
22-11-2003, 11:55 AM
[edit] sorry

vti-2
22-11-2003, 01:28 PM
How does this have anything to do with that quote? Going to a workshop is not DIY. Thos car magizines u read may lead u to beleive this, but i garentee u it isnt.

I stated there are a lot of tuners/workshops. Not all tuners belong to big budget workshops that you seem to be referring to.

I'm sorry if i seem harsh, but i am sick of ppl getting referred to workshops, just cuase they saw a ad in hot4's.

Not one single tuner or workshop that i know about advertises in Hot4's, with good reason too.

I have nothing against tuning houses, its just all u honda boys know how to do is hand over money and wait.

What a stupid comment. I take offence to that and probably a lot of other guys on this forum as well that have spent hard earned cash to do the work themselves.

Weq
22-11-2003, 04:26 PM
[edit] sorry

CustomCivic
22-11-2003, 04:27 PM
well i was gonna get a workshop to fit the kit. it would be mainly for street use. 3k sounds pretty good for the greddy kit. how much do workshops normally charge for installation if you just rockup with all your own sh!t and say here fit this!?

SleeperCivicEX
23-11-2003, 01:15 AM
The Greddy kits are VERY EASY to install when referring to the mechanical parts. The E-Manage would be the most difficult because of the large number of wires, but it's not impossible. 8)

I would say you'd save a good deal of money by DIY on these kits. They're bolt-on anyway. ;)

vti-2
23-11-2003, 11:51 AM
Link me to the posts on these so called projects and i'll retract my statement.

You won't find posts or info on these projects on the web. But you will find one of the cars listed in the FullBOOST top 10 4cyl FWD records. The record speaks for itself. 8)

BLKCRX
23-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Hmmmm interesting post…. What people have to realise is its not the price of the kit that makes a difference, it’s the parts included in it. Most low end kits are designed for low boost maximum street driveability, the more expensive kits have the ability to handle more boost making more power when you engine can handle it.
On Friday I had a customer pay me a deposit to build him a 10 second civic, but to build it in stages, bolt ones first. Then the engine then suspension.
Before buying anything I advise ya to think about what your buying and what your final goals are with your car. The turbo kit were designing for the client came to around $70,000.000. The client is middle aged who wanted a street drag car, and came to use to do the job done correctly the first time, he choose us because of what we achieved so far with my car.
On the other hand we had a new customer last week spending over $5000 fixing up things on his turbo Honda which weren’t done right in the first place corners cut etc.

Simple mistakes/ cutting of corners will result in the kit you buy either destroying its self, or destroying your engine so be careful ! choose your parts and go with quality not price.. that’s my advice.

Regards James

Weq
23-11-2003, 06:24 PM
Case and point.

Havok
23-11-2003, 09:18 PM
No idea....

A.C.S DRAG
28-11-2003, 03:17 PM
Weg, your a fool.

White Crx 11.74 quarter. Proud to be done here in melbourne in a front yard and driveway. with some parts fabricated by himself. you think these people go on the internet? all these guys are to busy working on cars to be on the internet reading internet sites on "how to's"

you stick to your internet sites and information. we'll play with real cars.

vti-2
28-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by A.C.S DRAG:
White Crx 11.74 quarter. Proud to be done here in melbourne in a front yard and driveway. with some parts fabricated by himself. you think these people go on the internet? all these guys are to busy working on cars to be on the internet reading internet sites on "how to's"

:nod:

Weq
28-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Yer i'm a fool.

[edit:] Cant be bothered.

A.C.S DRAG
28-11-2003, 10:46 PM
Cant be bothered cause your wrong?

or cant be bothered cause your just dumb.

SleeperCivicEX
29-11-2003, 03:38 AM
Hmmmm interesting post…. What people have to realise is its not the price of the kit that makes a difference, it’s the parts included in it. Most low end kits are designed for low boost maximum street driveability, the more expensive kits have the ability to handle more boost making more blah blah blah blah blah.....blah

You're way off track here. There's a HUGE differece between someone wanting to run a pre-fab turbo kit on their car and someone wanting to hit 10 and/or 11sec 1/4 mile times.

You guys went off on a tangent when the original post was aking about getting a simple kit installed that will work with the STOCK motor, not a $70k install. That's rediculous. :roll:

If the guy said he has a completely built motor, we wouldn't be recommending a small turbo kit. Get real.

Weq
29-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Cant be bothered cause your wrong?

or cant be bothered cause your just dumb.

I'm dumb i spose, becuase i dont understand what u are getting at? Are you saying that any _real_ car builder wont help out internet geeks? Or are you saying only idiots ask for information on the internet?? Or are u saying its not possible to bolt on some selected parts intelligently from guides u read online? I seriously dont get it!

Do u want to be apart of a online community? Cause this is what ppl usually do, help eachother out. and step off, I have no problem with ppl making living in the buisness of performance motoring, i have asked workshops for advice on my projects and they have uisually proven very helpful.

Seriously, you could of been nice about it, proven me wrong by giving advice to this guy and take solace in the fact that i'm a looser/kept insults to PM.

B|ade
29-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Man

Have a chat to Jim at Croydon

Thats where I got my Accord done

They know their hondas and they do a kickass job

:)

A.C.S DRAG
30-11-2003, 02:20 PM
i sed you are dumb becuase of these two comments.

Quote:
I have nothing against tuning houses, its just all u honda boys know how to do is hand over money and wait.

Weq
30-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Ok sorry, they were very rash generiliations. I admit it, i was peeved off that day.
Needless to say, i still havnt seen anyone else contribute to this guys orginal question. Your very experienced witht his type of thing. What kind of options has this guy got? Is it worth his time bringing the second hand kit in? How much would you charge to install the kit? WHat are his other options for his particular application? How do the pro's/con's of each approach weigh up in terms of time and money?
Now are you
a) going to argue with me
b) help this guy out
c) take solace inthe fact you won, and go back to working on your car/cars?
d) give a marketing speech

A.C.S DRAG
30-11-2003, 09:14 PM
before we answer the first question, i need to know a few things, does the Greddy kit come with an ecu, does it come with injectors?

EG5
30-11-2003, 10:31 PM
The Greddy kits are VERY EASY to install when referring to the mechanical parts. The E-Manage would be the most difficult because of the large number of wires, but it's not impossible. 8)

I would say you'd save a good deal of money by DIY on these kits. They're bolt-on anyway. ;)

E manage is a piggy back ECU , so wiring is pretty much easy to do compared to a Stand alone ECU.
Beware of imitation of E- Manage... coz u cant tune em at all wth the ' real E manage software'

EG5
30-11-2003, 10:38 PM
before we answer the first question, i need to know a few things, does the Greddy kit come with an ecu, does it come with injectors?

Basic Honda Greddy turbo kit inculdes: Cast SUS Mani, FCU, 370 cc inj, Air Intake, piping, hoses oil lines and misc. hardware.

i hope that answer ur question.

Weq
30-11-2003, 10:40 PM
2nd hand, it will come with a blue box (non-programmable fuel computer). New it will come with an e-manage, which is fully programmable fuel/igniton etc. It doesnt come with injectors so for anything over 6-7psi i assume a set will be needed. Even if u dont stay with the e-manage, u should be able to get some good money for it, to go towards some other management. Intercooler also needed for anything over stock(5.5-6psi) of pressure. Depending on what u go for, these two items can cost another 800+ dollars.

BLKCRX
01-12-2003, 07:59 AM
Stock 240cc injectors sit around 80% useage on a stock engine at max RPM, add even 2psi of boost and your going to be out of fuel !!!, so skimping on upgrading injectors well it just won't work.

Get your self some RC 550 cc and never have fuel problems again

RC are one if not the best injector you can buy !!! and will be perfect on any honda engine for 1psi - 18psi.

Regards James

CustomCivic
01-12-2003, 12:30 PM
thanks for you replies.. i was thinkin about getting a second hand Greddy TD40H-15G turbo kit which Includes - Cast Mani, FCU, Air Intake, piping, hoses oil lines etc. im gonna get the turbo checked out first to make sure its not farked though. is $1700 a good price??

also wanna get an intercooler and new injectors. how much are a set of injectors worth? someone told me i can get injectors from a prelude cheap and would work fine.

other than that ive been told that cos my engine has done a few kays (140,000) that i should get a compression test to see if my engine can take the turbo without damaging anything..

[[d a n n y]]
01-12-2003, 03:04 PM
bro good luck with it...

i hope it turns out well and see the might honda on top :D

SleeperCivicEX
02-12-2003, 03:54 PM
thanks for you replies.. i was thinkin about getting a second hand Greddy TD40H-15G turbo kit which Includes - Cast Mani, FCU, Air Intake, piping, hoses oil lines etc. im gonna get the turbo checked out first to make sure its not farked though. is $1700 a good price??

also wanna get an intercooler and new injectors. how much are a set of injectors worth? someone told me i can get injectors from a prelude cheap and would work fine.

other than that ive been told that cos my engine has done a few kays (140,000) that i should get a compression test to see if my engine can take the turbo without damaging anything..

The majority of Honda injectors are exactly the same size. RC injectors are VERY good and I sell them at cheap prices. Actually, I could stick some in your Greddy turbo kit for $270 US if you order them and the turbo kit from me. 440cc or 550cc injectors, your choice. $1396 US + shipping for the turbo kit. PM me about anything else you need.

Weq
02-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Yer i'm grabbing some RC's fromt he US while myg irl is over thier.