PDA

View Full Version : NEED Help...popping the knuckle back on FD Civic

hiroshifumi
27-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Hey Guys,

Having a same problem with my friends Honda Civic FD, the front Left side drive shaft knuckle has came out of the socket when we were installing some coilover into the car.

Now we cant pop the knuckle back into the socket, we have tried to "just pop it back" in different positions, still no luck...

Anybody know a way to get in back in place?? Ant help big or small will be helpful.

Cheers

RaY

h3ndr4
27-10-2009, 01:49 AM
same problem with me.. but my mechanic managed to put the shaft back... i think what he did was playing with the transmission and steer, and somehow the shaft "pop back" , took like 1 hour to figure it out though ,hope that helps

hiroshifumi
27-10-2009, 03:50 AM
Thanks Dude, will try playing around with the steering and transmission... atm still no luck.

Lets hope for the best.

Cheers

aero
27-10-2009, 04:29 AM
lol. same thing happened to me when my friend and i were installing my coils. same side as well...
just keep trying to get it lined up to 'where its supposed to be' and it should just pop back into place.

hiroshifumi
27-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Thanks guys for the help,

Time for some coffee and back to work... fingers crossed.

ej20i
27-10-2009, 11:36 AM
LOL!aero, what are u doing that late?this is on my car btw, dammit,,,,no sleep and all greased up everywhere on body and hair!
LOL!
all good, knuckles back in the cv and yay!driveable
review, tanabe sustec pro NF are nice and soft on the road! LOVE IT!

Stig
28-10-2009, 01:26 PM
that knuckle is a pos

bennjamin
28-10-2009, 02:30 PM
all macpherson struted cars are similar like this...its a pain yes but you simply should BEWARE of the issue and lay the hub to the side as opposed to OUTWARDS and thus popping the CV joint.

Try this...hold the knuckle up , slightly rotate the hub left and right and you SHOULD be able to pop it back in. Remember there is a tri prong and 3 x bearings insid4e teh rubber joint , take care keep that in mind.

hiroshifumi
28-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks all....managed to get it back in only after taking the cv boot off to inspect. It is a total pain in the back side, this is the second time it has happened and the same car aswell. :P

Hope this will help others out,

What we found out is that the 3 x bearing on the FD has a more tighter fit ( more sharper edges) then the B16a shaft (more rounder edges). So to put it back in you need to be very exact putting it back into the socket.

The slightest angle on the bearing and it wont pop in. Took us awhile even with out the cv boot. So the maybe the best way is to try to push the bearing under the CV Boot more flat to slid into the hub.

And get the shaft inline with the socket (hub) as much as possible

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12330&stc=1&d=1256717974

Hope this pic will help people understand what is happening and how to pop the F**K shaft back in. :D

Thanks guys and Have fun

dannybubu
19-11-2009, 09:20 AM
how do u take the boot off? this happened to me last night but on the front right hand side...it's a real pain and the damn thing is so heavy

aero
20-11-2009, 01:52 PM
lift the hub with a jack to get it up to normal height