PDA

View Full Version : Dave Richards = Gone?

LUD02C
20-11-2004, 11:32 AM
BAR say Richards to leave

David Richards is to stand down as BAR boss with Nick Fry taking over the running of the high-flying Formula One team. "A phased management transition is under way and should be completed by the end of the year," BAR said in a statement

A statement coinciding with the announcement that engine partner Honda was buying 45 percent of the team.

Honda and founders British American Tobacco (BAT) plan to form a joint venture company, replacing the existing BAR ownership structure, with BAT holding 55 percent.

"David will be providing support in various transitional issues at BAR until the end of February. Honda and Prodrive are also exploring opportunities for working together in the future," said BAR.

Richards, boss of motorsport company Prodrive whose staff helped run BAR and also rallying's commercial supremo, took over from Craig Pollock at BAR in December 2001.

The Briton and Prodrive, who have guided BAR to their best ever championship result of second in the constructors' standings this year, were hired on a consultancy agreement. Richards had a year to run on his contract.

In a telephone conference later on Friday, Richards described his exit as a "mutual decision".

"We have delivered a five-year plan in three years. My job has been done. It's been well done."

He added that he would be rarely be seen at a Formula One track in 2005 but said he could return in the longer term in a similar role. "I've learned that in Formula One, you never say never," he said.

'NEXT PHASE'

BAR had 11 podium finishes this year and Richards fought successfully to retain the services of Briton Jenson Button after the 24-year-old sought to join Williams.

Richards said Honda's involvement could now prompt Button to rethink his future and stay with BAR beyond his contract.

"It will quite probably. I would hope he would realise that we have great foundations here and a great team to go forward with," he said.

Friday's announcement marked the second time in Richards's career that he had been ousted from the job of team principal. In 1998 the former world championship-winning rally co-driver was in charge of Benetton.

"We were brought in by British American Tobacco to turn the team around and secure its long-term future and that is what we have done," said Richards in the BAR statement.

"I am immensely proud of what Prodrive has achieved in a shorter time than anticipated. I believe that BAR Honda is now in a very healthy position to continue its pursuit of the world championship," he added.

Fry, 48, started his career with Ford in 1977 and reached a senior level in that company before moving to Prodrive in 2001 as managing director -- the role he took on at BAR in 2002.

BAR said he would become chief executive with Geoffrey Willis remaining as technical director.

Honda will appoint directors to the board of BAR and will add a number of key personnel to the 30 engineers currently working at the Brackley factory.

"The day-to-day management and operation of the team are unaffected by the ownership restructure and we will continue to function as before," said the BAR statement.

Javed
20-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Wowser. Source dude? IS this definitely happening? It could be a good thing as Richards was seen as a bit of a bastard. Dunno how Nick Fry will go though?

LUD02C
20-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Wowser. Source dude? IS this definitely happening? It could be a good thing as Richards was seen as a bit of a bastard. Dunno how Nick Fry will go though?

This is 100% serious.
As a Honda fan i hope they don't get rid of him, how much better has he made the team?

He might be a prick, but he got them 2nd in the constructers title and kept Jenson.

He also owns ProDrive so he is cool in my book :D

7th Gen
20-11-2004, 03:41 PM
yep dave richards has a knack of being able to produce quality, winning racing teams. he was there when mcrae was at subaru, and the rise of BAR is no doubt due to his work

i guess FPR (from the V8 taxi racing) figured he could turn their team into winners as well (although lowndes and seton are leaving end of the yr)

as well as the racing stuff, prodrive also puts out special edition cars (mostly in the UK :thumbdwn: ) and aftermarket parts as well (wheels, aero etc), so he's still a busy man :D

Hondavirgin
25-11-2004, 01:08 PM
i'd imagine given Pro-drive aren't directly involved any more Dave's sticking with his Company, i'm sure he'll pop up in some level of top motorsport.....

jackosimm
05-12-2004, 11:49 PM
he'd better stay, biggest asset to the team

LUD02C
07-12-2004, 07:59 AM
he'd better stay, biggest asset to the team
Honestly, If he goes BAR Honda will not be as stronge.

jackosimm
07-12-2004, 09:56 PM
not a chance

OZ#227
09-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Yeah ,that's funny...... the way you talk about it, you'd think Dave Richards was on the spanners....hehehe. He's just a hard nosed bussiness man. Now I agree his got good leadership skills, but his job is done now.....

STURCTURE

The team is setup now. That's the hard part. Getting all the right people & Skills together.

Jenson was trying to leave BAR because of the way Richards was treating him. Mostly in the money department.... See Jenson contract paid him a yearly rate, paid per race. Not unussual in F1. But 2003 there was 3 extra races, Jenson basically drove those 3 races for free. Richards just said "Tough.... That's the contact".
Richards might be a great bussinessman, But I'm glad his gone & Honda has brought back-in.

Hondavirgin
10-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Guys, he's a prodrive man, not a BAR or Subaru or Honda or any other car he's worked on man....

He'll go wherever it will earn prodrive the most money =).

jackosimm
11-12-2004, 09:48 AM
bugger aye:thumbdwn:

LUD02C
11-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Guys, he's a prodrive man, not a BAR or Subaru or Honda or any other car he's worked on man....

He'll go wherever it will earn prodrive the most money =).
We know this!
Prodrive make money in MOTORSPORT so he wants to be in each motorsport and making a presents as well as a dominance!

Prodrive has started a new series Alfa Romeo's from memory and it starts in 2005, so alot of work is going into that.