PDA

View Full Version : AMSOIL Synthetic... Interesting Observation

Phased
28-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Hey All,

After using Motul/Royal Purple in my previous cars. I did some research and was talking to an engineer as well as a friend that works for Mobil. My research showed me that by independant tests showed that AMSOIL Synthetic oil is the best overall ( in terms of Wear Protection, Pour Point, Flash Point etc) consumer available oil. I asked my friend that works for mobil and he said he had known about it for while and his own and collegues opinions were it was a superior oil.

I Purchased 5 Litres of AMSOIL 10w30 and an AMSOIL Absolute Efficiency (98.7%) Oil Filter... Much to my surprise it was cheaper than Royal Purple Oil (at $99.99 for 5L's RP is VERY overpriced) and only slightly more expensive for the oil filter... which is good considering the AMSOIL filter uses fully synthetic media and the K&N filters are only Semi-Synthetic.

After the change I noticed a few things... Many of which could be a psychological difference. Better low end response (although I don't really feel a difference in power). Engine's quieter (but it's hard to be sure due to the HORRIBLE K Series Injectors)... Usual so called benefits of running synthetic oils.

One thing that I noticed that can't be psychological... The engine temperature (at Operating Temp.) after the oil change runs about 1 - 1 1/2 needle widths cooler. Especially when considering the RP was in the engine when ambient temps were 10 degrees cooler than what they are now.

I suppose the theory behind it is that Oil not only lubricates but acts as a heat exchange liquid and also the better the oil the less friction... (both Surface/metal friction and internal oil/liquid friction). Thus the car runs cooler. I thought that the temperature sensor would change the behavior of the thermostat to compensate...

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

bennjamin
28-10-2009, 06:46 PM
i use Honda FEO for all my hondas. Its great. Costs less than $40 and is designed for honda motors

What point or benefit is the temp. gauge reading alittle lower ?

Phased
28-10-2009, 07:03 PM
i use Honda FEO for all my hondas. Its great. Costs less than $40 and is designed for honda motors

What point or benefit is the temp. gauge reading alittle lower ?

Who said anything about a benefit bennjamin?! :-P Why did you come out of no where with a statement referring to price? This isn't an Oil vs. Oil or Mineral vs. Synthetic thread... It's simply an observation...

It's not necessarily a benefit but a possible side effect of good lubrication qualities... I have just read up on a few technical forums and a few people have noticed similar things when changing to synthetics.

You say HONDA oil is designed for Honda but in realism in each country the oil changes... It's usually produced locally. Did you know that some of the OEM Honda oils in japan are Semi-Synthetic blends? From what I've heard Honda FEO is just re-badged Group 2 mineral base Castrol.

All that matters is you meet the API rating and of course Viscosity recommended by the manufacturer. This ensures that the oil is compatable with seals and provides minimum flash points etc...

And in all Realism and Common Sense... The main aim of an Oil that's manufacturer developed is to be cost effective. Not necessarily possess the best lubrication qualities.

bennjamin
28-10-2009, 07:21 PM
yes yes....
If there is no benefit then why did you make this thread ?

Phased
28-10-2009, 07:26 PM
yes yes....
If there is no benefit then why did you make this thread ?

I thought it was obvious. I explained the observations and asked if anyone has experienced something similar... I thought it was odd especially because I didn't service anything to do with the cooling system at the time.

I also didn't say there was no benefit... However, the observation I'm describing could be a side effect of high lubrication qualities... which in turn would be a benefit!

Relax, SMILE benn! :D

Off Topic Q: You've installed suspension etc? ... I must ask where did you get your spring compressor? The off the shelf ones seem to be too large for honda springs... (the likes of DC2's etc.) They still work, but are a pain in the a*se and not the safest idea.

bennjamin
28-10-2009, 08:43 PM
what are the viscosity ratings of the described oil ?
I have never heard of engine oil having such a drastic effect on cooling in any way - while it is relevant , isnt the job of the cooling system to maintain an almost exact temp. readout (IE operating range) depending of outside influences

btw search T + E tools they have a few good spring compressors !

Limbo
28-10-2009, 09:33 PM
i've heard of amsoil, the only issue is price and sourcing it.
ITs hard to come by.

I've heard good things about it before also

richy
28-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I used AMSOIL in both my engine and gearbox. I never noticed it being cooler though for the engine. What oil did you use before? It was a big change with the gearbox oil though, noticeably stiffer n precise. I'll be ordering my next set of engine/gb oil. I buy it from the australian distributor in melbourne n get it posted up for around 80ish for the engine oil i think.

Phased
04-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Just heard and got directed to some test info/video's... and a temperature drop is normal and commonly seen with good synthetics. Usually it goes unnoticed or is undetectable without oil temp gauges etc...

I will have to find someone with oil temp/pressure gauges willing to do some tests. xD