PDA

View Full Version : Civic ES1 headlight dimming

ks_87
28-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Hey guys,

I have an 04 ES1 and my lights go dim/blink in very strange times. Its been having these problems for as long as I can remember having the car so I just thought it was normal, but it is getting quite irritating and im worried that people think im flashing them.

Aside from the usual times like A/C fan kicking in, it dims when i:
sometimes when i take my foot off the accelerator and after 2 seconds it will blink
change gears (manual, not grinding it or anything stupid) - again usually a bit after the gear has gone in
when i brake, but the blink is relatively not very noticeable

also, ive kinda had idling issues as of late.

My friend has suggested i get a voltage stabilizer and ive read that it fixes the problems above.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issues with their car?
and if a voltage stabilizer worked for them before i fork out the cash?

cheers

noddi
29-10-2009, 08:54 AM
I have the same problem with my 03 ES1. I've never considered a voltage stabilizer though. Have you checked the condition of your battery indicator? I'm still using the stock one and it has gone to the red indicator now, so I suspected the light flickering was to do with the battery's health. It only happens after I let go of the accelerator though.

If you find out more let me know.

SHU-ES1
29-10-2009, 09:20 AM
when i owned my previous civic es, i noticed this happening when i took my foot off the accelerator and it sometimes happens with my civic eu. it would slightly dim for half a sec, and then go back to normal power, is this what yours is like? i wouldn't say it was a big problem if everyone is experiencing it, unless it's really like it's flashing someone. you could always try a voltage stabilizer, although i have no experience with them but let us know if it works! good luck!

intk20A
29-10-2009, 03:23 PM
There is a recall from Honda that includes the replacement of your headlight stalk and also some wires connected to it.

Ring your Honda Dealer and they should fix it under warranty.

Riced_Civic
29-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Never ever had a problem with my civic, check your grounds

SHU-ES1
29-10-2009, 05:11 PM
which grounds should i be checking dan?

ks_87
29-10-2009, 06:14 PM
cheers for the responses, i'll check out the battery first and call up honda. I will get back to you if i get a resolution.

but might be a couple weeks coz im going to be sitting exams soon

Riced_Civic
29-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Tony check all ur electricals if ur light are dimming

moomoocow
08-12-2009, 10:29 PM
There is a recall from Honda that includes the replacement of your headlight stalk and also some wires connected to it.

Ring your Honda Dealer and they should fix it under warranty.

My Accord 07 VTI seems to be doing that as well. Is the recall only for Civic? Can't seem to find any info on it.

twing
09-12-2009, 08:48 AM
I don't think voltage stabiliser will help.

Just like what riced said, check the ground.
In my EK, there are 2 main important grounds. From battery to body, and body to gearbox.
You might as well replace them with bigger cable. A metre of 2G cable from jaycar will be enough.
For battery to chassis, I had to replace the terminal because the original cable was welded to the terminal.
Remember to scrap off the paint out from the chassis, put the new cable in, and coat them with some dielectric grease to keep the rust away.

ks_87
23-01-2010, 03:07 AM
Oh ok thanks.

Did you do that to your car and fix the problem?
I had it serviced (at last) about a week ago and they said that they couldnt do anything about it, and that its got to do wit the ECU. :S

Although this was RAC service, not honda. I tried calling up honda to see if this was a common thing, but the dude just told me to bring it in for a check, and i just dont have the time.

Riced_Civic
23-01-2010, 10:12 AM
its not common as far as i know as ive never had this problem.

sounds like grounds

6thgear
24-01-2010, 08:50 PM
strange if its to do with the ecu? havent come across this either with the mrs es