PDA

View Full Version : Vti-R Vs. Type-R Cat Converter

RoryAlexander
29-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Hey Guys,

I have been looking everywhere, internet-wide and OH inclusive, for a comparison in length of the Vti-R to the Type-R in regards to Catalytic converter Length.

I have asked a few members and been told that the Type-R cat (Talking about AUDM type R cat) is either similar to, or up to half the length of the Vti-R cat.

I just had a look between photos of the two cats, and while it is hard to gauge they seem to be the same length.

Basically I am asking if anyone can provide definite photo comparison (side by side) or definite measurements?

Thanks in Advance!

GSi_PSi
29-10-2009, 04:57 PM
I thought TypeR cat is bigger in width 2.5inch flange

RoryAlexander
29-10-2009, 05:03 PM
So if i bought after market headers and Cat, both 2.5 inch and fitted them to my vti-r i could realistically fit a type R exhaust and it wouldnt be too long/too short?

RR-04-RR
29-10-2009, 06:04 PM
depending on the length on the headers

i ended up fitted Hytech reps onto my stock type r exhaust.. witha hi flow cat (stock type r cat is too long if fitting after market headers.. as i said.. depending on the length of your aftermarket headers)

Required modification to fit it on though..

i'm sure the type r cat is the same length as the vti-r cat?

chubby steve
29-10-2009, 06:09 PM
just dnt run a cat like me : )

RoryAlexander
29-10-2009, 06:13 PM
The headers are advertised as "race headers" however they do not delete the cat.

They are designed to be a direct bolt on i believe. So they should meet directly with the cat without changing Length.

So if i change to a 2.5 inch cat, and the system i am looking at (designed for a type R) is 2.5 inch also, it should directly bolt on without modification?

RR-04-RR
29-10-2009, 06:18 PM
The headers are advertised as "race headers" however they do not delete the cat.

They are designed to be a direct bolt on i believe. So they should meet directly with the cat without changing Length.

So if i change to a 2.5 inch cat, and the system i am looking at (designed for a type R) is 2.5 inch also, it should directly bolt on without modification?

my guess is that its going to require modification

try bolt on yourself... if it doesnt fit.. drive to your exhaust shop.. i did that.. drove to the shop with just headers.. lol

also the flange gasket (between your headers and cat.. do you receive one when you purchased the headers? if not.. then gotta buy one

steve - haha you're game :p

RoryAlexander
29-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Well im not too worried about the header fitting to the cat, if they are both 2.5 inch inlet/outlets i guess it shouldnt be too much of an issue.

Im just looking at this exhaust because its what im after, but a lot cheaper than usual. Except it is for the Type R.

So My question was sort of.. If i try and fit this exhaust, will the (possible) difference in length of cats effect how far it sits out?

And you believe that other than different diameters, the cats are the same length, which would enable the exhaust to fit perfectly regardless of it being a vti-r than than type r?

90LAN
29-10-2009, 06:44 PM
well aussie itr/vtir cat wont fit like i told you

you need a jdm size triangle flange to suit the cat back if you use your 60/2.5 cat back

the size is aus vtir is 30 cm aus itr is 45 cm

jdm itr/ek9 cat is 30cm and have the 2.5 donnut flange and teh correct triangle flange

and aussie itr is not 2.5" cat it is a around the 2" mark super small and restrictive

you will always have to do mods if you are using any aussie cat to line up with most after market cat backs

RoryAlexander
29-10-2009, 07:07 PM
The reason i was asking about the cat was because i am thinking about using a direct replacement 2.5 inch high-flow cat.

Direct replacement for OEM, has the triangle flanges etc.

The Exhaust, while being from a Japanese company is actually made for the USDM. Therefore designed for the Australian cars because as far as my research suggests GSR = Vti-R pretty much spot on other than a few tweaks.

So i will be using a 2.5 inch cat in to the 2.5 inch exhaust, i realise that that is basically inevitable if i want good performance.

90LAN, could you possibly provide image comparisons between the cats? i got under my car and had a look, compared vti-R and type-R cats in images also and i cant find any discernable difference.

It is the length that is the issue in fitting this exhaust, because there are so many different conflicting thoughts. Hence the image comparison for proof.
Because if the Vti-R and Type-R cats are the same length, i can purchase the bargain exhaust. haha. And i would love for that to be possible.

90LAN
29-10-2009, 07:23 PM
ditch both tha aussie vtir/dc2r cat

get a jdm itr cat/or similiar hi flow cat to suit

to make it easy any jdm header/jdm itr cat / jdm cat back will fit

as to what you want it will be trial and error

which i cant help you with

MM89
29-10-2009, 07:48 PM
hi flow cats are good to have/change when you're doing your
catback and headers. at least you will not have to return to
the exhaust shop a second time when you realise you wanna
change to a hi flow/jdm cat.

having said that; if you are getting a 2.5" aftermarket hi flow cat,
make sure the exhaust shop does not chop your catback and replace
the triangle flange with a 2 bolt flange on the cat and catback.

most exhaust places will not be able to match robotic welds that are
on japanese catback systems. welds are much cleaner and consistent.

RoryAlexander
29-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Alright. Last question.

I buy this after market exhaust, if i buy a universal 2.5 inch metal cat and weld flanges on to it.

there will be no problem with fitment of the type r aftermarket exhaust to the vti-r chassis?

i wont have to modify it any further to make them all mesh together?

RoryAlexander
29-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Well, I most likely will not go to a exhaust shop, my brother has a number of friends who are more than able to fit these sort of things. i would NOT let anyone cut up the exhaust.

So by buying a universal cat converter and welding on flanges, i eliminate any fitment issues?

MM89
29-10-2009, 07:57 PM
aftermarket cats are much shorter than the standard AUDM cat
so you will most likely need to weld a bit of 2.5" pipe to end of
the cat and put a flange on the end of the pipe and then bolt
it onto the catback flange.

catback will fit without modification from what i understand

RoryAlexander
29-10-2009, 08:00 PM
The magnaflow cat i am looking at is 34 cm.

or 13 inches.

Not long enough.. ?

MM89
29-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Judging by what 90Lan has said;

JDM cat = 30cm
AUDM ITR cat = 45cm

If as you mentioned, the exhaust (i'm assuming catback) is designed for USDM
market and is same length as AUDM catbacks, you will obviously still need to
add some piping to the end of the magnaflow cat since it is still shorter than
the AUDM cat.

I was assuming you were getting a JDM catback until i read the previous posts.
So with the USDM catback + magnaflow cat, the only modifications which you
should require is the triangle flange for the cat, the 2 bolt flange for the other
side of the cat connecting to headers and some piping on either end.

RoryAlexander
29-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks mate!

Yeah thats all good then. Hopefully it will sound like the world is ending.
After the exhaust + headers are sorted im thinking about ITB's, maybe in half a years time or so.

GSi_PSi
30-10-2009, 12:01 AM
sorry for hijack, but ive got a toda 4-2-1's what flange is on the end? cause i need to identify my cat size?. I know its not stock cause it looks like a hi flow one.

RoryAlexander
30-10-2009, 12:08 AM
sorry for hijack, but ive got a toda 4-2-1's what flange is on the end? cause i need to identify my cat size?. I know its not stock cause it looks like a hi flow one.

Isnt it just the normal two bolt flange that joins a header to a cat? the triangle flange is for joining the exhaust to the cat.

And if its a high-flow cat, i think it would be logical to assume its the same size as the collector on your headers?

90LAN
30-10-2009, 06:53 AM

it will be a 2.5inch donut flange

stock on most jdm headers for b series

GSi_PSi
31-10-2009, 03:41 PM
okay sweet so will RMF headers bolt on directly to my exhaust?

m3ntAL_l2
16-11-2010, 05:12 PM
till trying to confirm.

all in AUDM

is dc4 = dc2 = dc2r cat? all the same?

dc2r-0636
16-11-2010, 11:12 PM
No audm vtiR cat is 30cm where as the audm dc2R cat is 45cm. Not sure bout the dc4 man
(only going by what ive heard from mates and what 90LAN said in post #9)

rom5
16-11-2010, 11:24 PM
any difference in performance wise between the oem audm dc4/2/2r cats on cat back systems?

m3ntAL_l2
17-11-2010, 07:34 AM
from my thread

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?141454-AUDM-or-JDM-Cat

assuming audm itr cat is the same as dc4 one then? as i tried to fit the 30cm cat and it was too short

90LAN
17-11-2010, 09:03 AM
both shit throw them away

thats all you need to know

moey
24-11-2010, 11:27 PM
hey well i dont know if it will help but i installed a full cat back exhaust system on my dc2 and was fitted no problems besides the end flange on the type r exhaust need to be rotated and thats it all installed power wise you will notice a difference if you got intake to support it :)

GSi_PSi
29-11-2010, 04:23 AM
get high flow cat dunoo why people even bother buying and fitting audm dc2r exhaust system/cats ??

moey
04-12-2010, 05:35 PM
A its bigger than stock vtir exhaust
B stainless steel
c not hard to put a high flow