PDA

View Full Version : ED Civic A/C

EDCivic
30-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Our a/c has been fantastic until.... the other day where it starts semi cool then blows warm air. The compressor cuts in as it should (that's as far as my diagnosing abilities go !!!) so could it be that it just requires a re-gas after all of these years or could it be something more serious ?????

ECU-MAN
30-10-2009, 07:26 AM
more of a service than a regas. need to change the receiver dryer and add gas, check for leaks and inspect the gas pressures ect

EDCivic
30-10-2009, 12:37 PM
more of a service than a regas. need to change the receiver dryer and add gas, check for leaks and inspect the gas pressures ect
Thanks ECU-MAN.

Were these Civics filled with the old R12 gas or the later R13a (???)

ECU-MAN
30-10-2009, 04:34 PM
yeah ED was R12

EDCivic
12-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Had a guy look at and that was about it. He sited a few oily patches at the end of some connectors and around the site glass and said yep she is leaking and the compressor looks the same. I went home looking like this :( and had a look myself and thought that the oil marks looked like they have developed over 18 years i.e. baked on need scew driver to remove sludge/goo. I'm thinking it needs some dollars spent and get a proper leak test done with some type typical a/c dye pumped through or is he right and I'm rooted so to speak ?????

yellows2k
12-11-2009, 09:59 PM
dont get too worked up, ive got an ed without air conditioning fitted at all. its a nightmare during summer, winter is great tho

EDCivic
13-11-2009, 06:18 AM
A/C is like smoking. Once your hooked its hard to give it up !

Spoon-Accord
14-11-2009, 11:40 AM
did you get it up and running?

i have the same dilemma too

some dood told me that i had to get it retrofitted to use r134

bahh

EDCivic
14-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Not yet and I was told the same thing (aprox $350 to $400). I am doubting the a/c guy telling me that the compressor is leaking as I said before these oily baked on bits he showed me around some of the fittings look as if they have been growing since 1991 i.e. the day the car rolled off the production line. I am thinking I need to spend some bucks and get the a/c checked with their flourescent dye and then see how far to go with it. There is a dude in Adelaide that said they would recon the original for around $450 and give a 12 month warranty so a few things to weigh up as the old Civic is still in good nick body, interior and engine wise.

ECU-MAN
17-11-2009, 08:16 AM
go to a different AC place for a 2nd opinion

EDCivic
18-11-2009, 09:56 PM
2nd place booked and fingers crossed:thumbsup:

EDCivic
27-11-2009, 11:40 PM
OK an update. Took the old girl in today and they fixed it. It turned out to be a TX valve, a pressure switch and a relay. This together with a new receiver dryer and some changes to retrofit to R134a and it's back in action. Pays to do that 2nd opinion as the other mob painted a very dim view. No doubt they had too much work on or simply couldn't be bothered.

PS they owed me a BIG favour and fixed it for $300 (about 50% discount)