PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox filler plug, stuck,

burner42
31-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Anyone know what I can do to remove it, the fuka is rock solid, I already sprayed loads od wd40, but it's on really tight, I'm almost stripping it, but it's still stuck on like a tight bitch

aaronng
31-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Use a six-point socket. Don't use a 12-point. You are turning it anti-clockwise, right?

bennjamin
31-10-2009, 05:20 PM
this is the 17mm headed bolt , on the side of the gearbox yeah ?

there isnt much room in a EK due to the subframe being in the way.

Do this.

Put car on jack stands (if it isnt already)
Grab a 17mm spanner with a ring end. 6 or 12 point no matter.
Place the spanner so it is facing directly down.
Now
Grab a rubber mallet or similar , hold the spanner firm on the face of the bolt.
Give a few taps TOWARDS THE FRONT (counter clock wise) of the car to crack the bolt.

It should crack easily. Just take your time and dont slip !

Dy_
31-10-2009, 06:03 PM
what are you using? just a small ratchet? if so try using soemthing abit bigger and longer, it will give it more leverage...just jack the car up as high as you can first for more room.

e.g. a long pole on the end of your ratchet or a long breaker bar.

burner42
31-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys, I got it off just soon after I posted the thread lol, but yeah I finally found a ring spanner, normal spanner screwed it, and I did a similar method to what bennjamin said, but had to use a metal hammer to get the spanner on, probably have to get a new plug next time but it'll be ok, lol very productive day I had today :)

aaronng
31-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys, I got it off just soon after I posted the thread lol, but yeah I finally found a ring spanner, normal spanner screwed it, and I did a similar method to what bennjamin said, but had to use a metal hammer to get the spanner on, probably have to get a new plug next time but it'll be ok, lol very productive day I had today :)

Yes, good idea to get a new plug. Also make sure you get an aluminium crush washer (get the correct size, and get another for the drain bolt and oil sump bolt) so that it doesn't end up being jammed on when you put it back together.

Dxs
31-10-2009, 09:13 PM
using open ended spanner = lol

Bludger
05-11-2009, 11:07 AM
using open ended spanner = lolx2...

burner42
05-11-2009, 11:52 AM
x2...

Well i'm learning from scratch, what else am i to do? if you're not gonna be helpful, don't bother saying anything. But thanks to the other guys for being very helpful.

aaronng
05-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Everyone has to learn. Don't pay attention to those two. At least now you know that the minimum required is a ring spanner. :thumbsup:

string
08-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Instead of WD40, find a product that is designed to un-seize bolt threads. I was recently given can of CRC Penetr8 and it is incredibly good.