PDA

View Full Version : Problem starting

Mr EG
03-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Couldn't start my car today, it started 1st thing in the morning but I turn my car off and I turn it out, cranked it didn't start, after 40 seconds of trying it worked but the RPM slowly went up to idle. What wrong with it? crappy spark plugs?

This problem only happens sometimes

lithium
03-11-2009, 05:15 PM
which engine does your EG have? do you have an EFI one? some models of hondas around that age (unsure if it applies to the EG engines) commonly develop a problem with the main relay where on hot days it will refuse to engage the fuel pump, causing the crank but no start symptom you're seeing. if you are from Sydney, as it is a damn hot day today this could well be your problem!

if it's the problem the fix is to either replace with a new relay or take it apart and apply solder to the dry joints inside - search the internet for a how-to, there are a few around :)

Chriskoss
03-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah when its hot my car doesnt start for like 10 seconds. You could try turning ignition off, then turn it on again, should crank over

Mr EG
03-11-2009, 07:57 PM
My car is EFI, what is the relay to be exact? :S I thought it would of been shit leads from spark plug not or something or maybe distrubutor LOL :(

Yeh today is a hot day, it didn't start 2 times today though, I was cranking it and it started abit but didn't go up to normal idle, when starting it would make a sound "ssssssser" hope that helps.

lithium
04-11-2009, 09:20 AM
My car is EFI, what is the relay to be exact? :S I thought it would of been shit leads from spark plug not or something or maybe distrubutor LOL :(

Yeh today is a hot day, it didn't start 2 times today though, I was cranking it and it started abit but didn't go up to normal idle, when starting it would make a sound "ssssssser" hope that helps.

please read:

http://autorepair.about.com/od/enginetroubleshootin1/a/honda_hot_start.htm
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html

among other things the main relay controls power to your fuel pump. it's thought that over time dry joints can develop on the relay which, on hot days, can lead to power not going to the fuel pump on startup, which can cause crank and no fuel (hence no start) as you described