PDA

View Full Version : J's Racing Exhaust for CU2?

hondar
05-11-2009, 03:55 PM
hi all cu2 owners

i am in the middle of finding out the cost to make a j's racing exhaust for cu2.

as you know, there is none that make them yet beside mugen.

I am leaning of makin an exhaust that is affordable like the 304R j's racing muffler
http://www.jdmconcept.com.au/index.php?option=com_jdm&p=detail&cid=137

same design and look but instead of using titanium, we are using the stainless steel to make.

they will be exclusive to jdm concept only.

i was wondering if people will be interested in that?

as j's racing need to make them in number. i just want to gauge the people respond if it is something that is feasible.

for those who dont know J's racing brand, you can visit their website
http://www.jsracing.co.jp/

js racing product are of quality and price wise, i am keen to make them as affordable as possible. no price yet as i dont know the cost to make them and transport them to australia

as i own a cu2, i will be working very closely and will take a great interest that it will bolt and suit us perfectly

integral90
05-11-2009, 05:27 PM
I got a J's Racing header for the CL. Brilliant quality and worksmanship, J's is really good

hondar
05-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I got a J's Racing header for the CL. Brilliant quality and worksmanship, J's is really good

thanks mate :thumbsup:

longers
05-11-2009, 07:42 PM
can you custom make one for the cm5?

hondar
05-11-2009, 08:11 PM
can you custom make one for the cm5?

no mate

sorry

longers
05-11-2009, 08:48 PM
noooooooooooooo :(

denot
06-11-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm interested Leo... but depend on the price n gain...

buddah51au
07-11-2009, 07:21 PM
There would be very little, if any gain as you can't put headers on a CU2. About the only thing you would gain is noise.

nesterjester
08-11-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm interested Leo... but depend on the price n gain...

im +1
would be very interested

Type R Positive
08-11-2009, 12:27 PM
I might be interested, but like every one, depending on price.

hondar
08-11-2009, 06:32 PM
There would be very little, if any gain as you can't put headers on a CU2. About the only thing you would gain is noise.

hi

i am interested to understand your thought on that?

maybe you are right but maybe you have first experience on that perhaps?

nothing personal.. just want to have open mind with your comment too...

buddah51au
08-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Firstly, the CU2 has a fairly good quality open exhaust with good size pipes. Normally when updating an exhaust a good set of headers is the first step, this is an area that can't be changed on a CU2. Next you could look at a high flow cat which could give a small gain, but high flow cats usually work better at hi RPM. As for cat back, maybe you could fit slightly larger diameter pipes in conjunction with a more open muffler design, but how much would this gain. My thought would be < 5kw for cat back alone with maybe a little more with a high flow cat, but any gain would be I would suggest above 5000RPM which is an area where we spend very little time in everyday driving. There is also the possibility of some losses at low RPM where the engine spends most of it's time.

hondar
09-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Firstly, the CU2 has a fairly good quality open exhaust with good size pipes. Normally when updating an exhaust a good set of headers is the first step, this is an area that can't be changed on a CU2. Next you could look at a high flow cat which could give a small gain, but high flow cats usually work better at hi RPM. As for cat back, maybe you could fit slightly larger diameter pipes in conjunction with a more open muffler design, but how much would this gain. My thought would be < 5kw for cat back alone with maybe a little more with a high flow cat, but any gain would be I would suggest above 5000RPM which is an area where we spend very little time in everyday driving. There is also the possibility of some losses at low RPM where the engine spends most of it's time.

when you mention, the CU2 has a fairly good quality open exhaust with good size pipes
- do you know what is good size pipe for them. can i assume you are referring to the stock pipe?
- cu2 header, good or bad design at the moment?
- you mention again, larger diameter for better flow, how much more? and the reason behind for choosing the size?

again just trying to understand where you are coming from :D

buddah51au
09-11-2009, 08:50 AM
If u research the little there is on Acurazine 2nd generation TSX (the yanks do a lot more mods than we do) they suggest 2 1/2 inch exhaust is ideal, possible 2 3/4 if you use a single system. But there is very little to be gained without changing the cat. Cat back systems on most cars show only a small gain at best, it is not until you get into headers & cats that you start to make gains.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/15000_preview.jpg

While it appears to be a good size opening from the Cylinder Head, we can't see the size of the internal pipes. Judging by the picture of a CU2 head a good hi flow cat would be the first step if your looking for gains from the exhaust, but if you go that route how much low down performance would you loose as that is a common trait when you fit a hi flow cat.

Also, the best header designs have equal length primary pipes, clearly this is not the case on this cylinder head.

I will also add that most CU2's are automatics, 2nd gear will top 140kph, & they max out in top gear around 4700RPM
I can't see an exhaust improving acceleration times greatly.

integral90
09-11-2009, 03:53 PM
The performance gain might be only mild in the midrange + top end but there's also the weight advantage of having an aftermarket exhaust. If the CU2 catback is anything like the CL9's than it will be HEAVY.

With my headers/cat/catback I saved about 22-24kg over the stock exhaust system.

buddah51au
09-11-2009, 07:07 PM
How much of that 22 -24kg was saved by switching exhaust manifold to headers? Did you use a single system or dual outlet? New project for me ...... weigh a stock CL9 system from the cat back, I should have an answer in a week or so.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/1074/releases/4439

In reference to the exhaust system :- in comparison to the CL9 the CU2 has a claimed increase in exhaust flow of 15%. If that claim is accurate it is a significant gain for a stock system

Quote:-

To help boost engine torque, the TSX has a new high-flow, low back-pressure exhaust system that contributes to a 15-percent increase in exhaust flow over the previous TSX. Large-diameter pipe sizes throughout the exhaust system increase flow; beyond the under-floor catalytic converter, the exhaust system passes through a pre-chamber under the second-row floor, and then splits just behind the rear axle to feed into free-flowing dual silencers and chrome exhaust tips.

integral90
09-11-2009, 11:06 PM
How much of that 22 -24kg was saved by switching exhaust manifold to headers? Did you use a single system or dual outlet? New project for me ...... weigh a stock CL9 system from the cat back, I should have an answer in a week or so.

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say 'swapping the exhaust manifold to headers'? The K24a3 doesn't have the cast header like the K24z, if that's what you mean.

Roughly worked out it was about 5kg saved in the header, about 3kg saved in the cat and the rest in the catback. I have a single outlet 2.5" with one smaller hotdog resonator and a straight-through cannon muffler. Also removing the heat shields off the header/undercarriage probably added up to a rough 500-750g.

I'm by no means saying an odd-20kg saving st going to make a huge difference in straight line, but once you start saving a bit of weight here and there it does add up.