PDA

View Full Version : Steering Issue

jdmlvn
05-11-2009, 08:33 PM
eversince i picked up my car on tuesday i have been noticing issues with my steering, at times it locks up whilst turning the steering wheel to make a turn and it doesnt automatically straighten up so i have to nudge the steering wheel to get it back straight.

just to note, i have just replaced both cambers with all OEM parts, and wheel alignment has been done after fitting them.

so this is the driving experience, this is what happens when i turn the steering wheel whilst making a turn at say roughly 5-10km/h

note: degrees shown is how much i turn the steering wheel, not the degree of the angle im turning
Steering left:
90° - straightens normally
180° - straightens normally
360° - straightens normally

Steering right:
90° - straightens normally
180° - straightens normally
270 - locks and doesnt straighten and remains like that until i straighten the wheel myself
360° - locks and doesnt straighten and remains like that until i straighten the wheel myself

what do you guys think the problem may be?

chowdaa
05-11-2009, 09:18 PM
What do you mean cambers??? camber is non adjusable with oem.. even still, wheel returning to straight ahead position is not a feature of power steer but i by product of excessive camber and toe. i wouldn't be too worried, the reason the wheel doesn't want to straighten up is because your camber has been corrected to proper specs as to prevent excessive tyre wear.

jdmlvn
05-11-2009, 09:24 PM
What do you mean cambers??? camber is non adjusable with oem.. even still, wheel returning to straight ahead position is not a feature of power steer but i by product of excessive camber and toe. i wouldn't be too worried, the reason the wheel doesn't want to straighten up is because your camber has been corrected to proper specs as to prevent excessive tyre wear.

i know oem cambers are not adjustable, my car previously had -2.7 on the front driver side, so i replaced it to fix the problem.

chowdaa
05-11-2009, 09:56 PM
"so i replaced it to fix the problem. " what exactly did you replace out of curiosity? you sure its 2degrees and 70mins as there is only 60minutes in 1 degree? still that is immense camber and would be the reason your wheel would return to the centre. you can get more toe in if you want the steering to return to the centre, but that's messing with the outer edge of tyre. hope this helps

jdmlvn
05-11-2009, 10:51 PM
sorry my bad, it was actually 2.4

jdmlvn
07-11-2009, 07:02 PM
bumppp

jdmlvn
10-11-2009, 01:32 AM

jdmlvn
15-11-2009, 05:55 PM
anyone?

vinnY
19-11-2009, 02:06 AM
did you get a print out of the wheel alignment? or did you just take their word for it?

did they adjust the steering rack at all? i found when i adjusted mine it didn't seem to return to the center by itself as quick as it used to, but steering response and feel has improved