PDA

View Full Version : RVF 400 or...

robeel
08-11-2009, 11:54 PM
hey guys,

i want to buy a bike soon & get my license. But cause of the new NSW bike laws i will have to keep a smaller bike for a while. So would like to get a bike with a little more power then a 250.

I would rather not spend more then $6k. would like something that keeps its value so i can get most of my cash back when its time to upgrade. BTW i'm about 176cm & weigh about 95kg.

How much can i pick up a RVF400 for? anyone selling one?

how many km's is too much? & how much to rebuild the engine?

& what do i need to check out when buying privately? & with who? & should i take it to a mechanic to check out? is there any that come to the seller?

also any other bikes i should look at? & do you guys get pulled over often if you don't speed?

Thanks
Rob

Zilli
09-11-2009, 06:33 AM
RVF's hold their value and to get a really schmick one you're going to pay more than 6, but im sure you can find one for your budget....

I'd definitely get one rather than a 250

The top end is gear driven so i dont know how that contributes to service life etc? they're a pretty quick bike, but getting quite old now

Twincam16
09-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I would rather not spend more then $6k. would like something that keeps its value so i can get most of my cash back when its time to upgrade. BTW i'm about 176cm & weigh about 95kg.

It will suit you being 90+kg. RVF's hold their value really well.

How much can i pick up a RVF400 for? anyone selling one?

Some have been known to sell as low as $5.5 but id stay clear. These can have issues which will cost you a fortune as parts need to be sourced from Japan. If you find a good one around the 6-7k mark id snap it up.

how many km's is too much? & how much to rebuild the engine?

Honda V4's are very strong. You wouldn't need to rebuild an engine unless you planned on racing it. Mine says it has 40,000 I think, but they range from 25-60 thousand. I would say most are wound back anyway. Dont look at km's, listen to the bike and try it out.

what do i need to check out when buying privately? & with who? & should i take it to a mechanic to check out? is there any that come to the seller?

No point, better to get an idea for yourself of what to look out for. Ive got two rvf's and know what can go wrong ill be happy to help. You should have a good clicking sound coming from the v4 cams and exhaust should have a smooth idle to it. Also keep an eye out for drop/loss in power through the rev range. Another big one is to check for original fairings and any cracks in the frame. Anything which has wierd looking colours and has no scratches at all is likely to be those cheap chinese copies which fall apart, meaning its probably been treated badly in past, or had its run with a few accos. Original ones (tri-colour, either red/white/purple or red/white/yellow/purple) would have scratches here and there (remember they are 15 years old) and have Honda markings on insides

also any other bikes i should look at? & do you guys get pulled over often if you don't speed?

RVF is a good bike for a learner, especially if you want to go to 600cc+ in future, will be a lot less of a jump in power. If you dont speed you wont have anything to worry about, ive been pulled over twice no probs at all.