PDA

View Full Version : guages which are neccessary?

infusionz
09-11-2009, 07:05 PM
hi guys,

planning on getting a few guages on my type s, maybe 2.

wondering which guages are a must have for a integra type s, r? eg. oil temp

cheers guys

best regards

infusionz_

vtec'ing
09-11-2009, 07:12 PM
me too im thinking of getting oil temp and maybe a volt gauge, anyone know how hard oil gauge is to install? i heard it can be a real prick on some cars..

Q_ball
09-11-2009, 07:12 PM
What for? Track or just simple bling?

Bludger
09-11-2009, 07:18 PM
fuel gauge?

WATAJK
09-11-2009, 10:23 PM
tbh OIL temp, OIL pressure and Volts is all you would really want as its good to know your oil pressure and temperature..
Basically when oil hits the right temperate you know when you should be pushing your car.
Thats me though

aaronng
09-11-2009, 10:25 PM
All you need is an oil temperature gauge and an oil pressure gauge. You will need a good oil sandwich plate as that will have ports before and after the oil filter. Cheap sandwich plates have ports only before the oil filter and does not give good oil pressure information. All it tells you is "oh shit, you lost all oil pressure and your engine is dead"

Why do you guys want a voltage gauge for? To tell you your battery or alternator is ok? I can tell that without having to use a gauge.

cymax
09-11-2009, 10:56 PM
How about Water temp? You can set it to alert you when your water temp is going over a certain limit. I reckon that Oil Pressure/Oil Temp/Water Temp is the best combi.

aaronng
09-11-2009, 10:57 PM
How about Water temp? You can set it to alert you when your water temp is going over a certain limit. I reckon that Oil Pressure/Oil Temp/Water Temp is the best combi.

The stock temperature gauge on your dashboard is a water temp gauge.

cymax
09-11-2009, 11:05 PM
yeah, i understand. But it doesn't alert you when it's rising sky rocket. Some temperature gauge has build in function where you can set it to sound an alarm when it hit some particular temperature. For instance, autogauge. :) It's useful for me on the track when I only concentrate on my speedo and rpm.

hisoka
09-11-2009, 11:18 PM
yeah, i understand. But it doesn't alert you when it's rising sky rocket.

the stock water temp gauge will go up till a certain temprature, then it will sit at the middle as long as temp doesnt drop below that operating temp. the only way it will go up is when ure engine is already hammered and raped.

i was driving one day and noticed my water temp on gauge was shooting up, and on power fc readout it was going up, but stock one was reading dead on that it was nice running temp.

then the turbo blew. then i see stock gauge moving up slowly LOL

cymax
09-11-2009, 11:26 PM
lol... That is when you go "oh man! never trust that stock temp" But seriously, I didn't know that stock gauges will drop back to middle. LOL! Anyway, I usually stop the car when my stock temp gauge hits 3/4 (Has never happen to my current car though) when I had radiator issues on my previous EG.

infusionz
10-11-2009, 05:32 PM
what is a sandwich plate?

also how come oil pressure, why is that useful?

thanks

infusionz_

45SET
10-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Sandwich plate

http://justjap.com/store/images/P/jjrsandwichplate.jpg

Placed before or after (Or both as aarong said) the oil filter. This is where the sensors are screwed into so you can get information.

One reason you would look into getting a oil pressure gauge is because Vtec only engages when the oil is at the right pressure.

Ross D.
10-11-2009, 06:56 PM
tacho's in an auto is a must!

45SET
10-11-2009, 07:01 PM
tacho's in an auto is a must!

Only if VN commodore or older!

aaronng
10-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Sandwich plate

[IMG]http://justjap.com/store/images/P/jjrsandwichplate.jpg[IMG]

Placed before or after (Or both as aarong said) the oil filter. This is where the sensors are screwed into so you can get information.

One reason you would look into getting a oil pressure gauge is because Vtec only engages when the oil is at the right pressure.

That plate shows oil pressure before the oil filter, which is not the correct reading to read oil pressure reaching the solenoid.

Here is an oil sandwich plate which correctly reads oil pressure as there are 2 ports, one located before the oil filter for the temperature sensor, and one after the oil filter for the pressure sensor (which is on the opposite side of the plate).

http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/ekmps/shops/speedflow/images/tvc50_fitted_up_white_bground.jpg

45SET
10-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Pic was used an an example with a quick 10 sec search on google... which the person asking could have done himself...

xclusive_eg8
10-11-2009, 09:35 PM
yeah my stock temp guage is dropping below lowest mark, so yeah reading is pretty much off, was thinking of getting oil temp guage, air/fuel ratio

for my d15b7, are the oil temp guages hard to fit in??

btw have seen a monster tacho in a auto supra lol, funniest day eva

timofytit
10-11-2009, 09:55 PM
what is a sandwich plate?

also how come oil pressure, why is that useful?

thanks

infusionz_

just like a sandwich, pretty much just has the middle (meat) plate to read the temp, and on one side you feed the oil in, and the other you feed the oil out. It is a good method, but you can also just use a T in the line. All depends on how accurate you want your reading to be.

aaronng
10-11-2009, 11:18 PM
yeah my stock temp guage is dropping below lowest mark, so yeah reading is pretty much off, was thinking of getting oil temp guage, air/fuel ratio

for my d15b7, are the oil temp guages hard to fit in??

btw have seen a monster tacho in a auto supra lol, funniest day eva

Check your thermostat. It might have failed and it is stuck open, hence your coolant temperature gauge reading low.

xclusive_eg8
11-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Check your thermostat. It might have failed and it is stuck open, hence your coolant temperature gauge reading low.

yeah i think its actually to do with the dash cluster, like its dropping below the lowest mark, so when it finally retches the mark its like half warmed up...

hard to test thermostat??

edw-R
11-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Was used Oil Temp and Oil pressure in my DC2. Oil pressure is very important.

SHI-FTY
12-11-2009, 07:57 PM
put d money on mods i reckon, wat good are gauges if a problem arises n u cant do anything to fix it anyway d gauges wnt fix but dey will tell u if installed correctly that is lol

aaronng
12-11-2009, 11:10 PM
put d money on mods i reckon, wat good are gauges if a problem arises n u cant do anything to fix it anyway d gauges wnt fix but dey will tell u if installed correctly that is lol

Oil pressure gauge lets you know when you are beginning to lose oil pressure so that you can stop the car immediately to prevent damage from occurring.

SHI-FTY
13-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Oil pressure gauge lets you know when you are beginning to lose oil pressure so that you can stop the car immediately to prevent damage from occurring.

agreed but benificial if ur gna track or quarter it u no how offten will u lose pressure jst by drivin home or goin mates house etc, i had these in my prelude waste of money even tho i did intend on trackin dat car (125kwatw i have dyno sheets to prove) however i rote off the car a week b4 goin wakefield :(