PDA

View Full Version : b18c engine/headers heating up *smoke* URGENT

kairi_k
11-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Yo a mate of mines dc2r is having engine heating problems, when motor i turned on and idling. the headers heat up in less than 10sec, the rest of the motor is fine. then there is smoke coming from the headers or possibly near the dipstick for the engine oil.

need help ASAP?

Tai
11-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Could be oil burning from drippage of dipstick or oil top up.

Did you do a service or change headers?

kairi_k
11-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Could be oil burning from drippage of dipstick or oil top up.

Did you do a service or change headers?

yeh service was done over the weekend

kairi_k
11-11-2009, 11:52 AM
yeah there is a bit of a smell, like burning oil, that's what i suspected, how would we be able to clean it up?

Tai
11-11-2009, 11:57 AM
It'll burn off, nothing to worry about, just check underneath if there is any leaks of oil puddles.

if you really want just wipe the headers and block down or degrease it and water it down.

The temperature needle isnt hot is it?

And did you change coolant and triple checked its topped up and full?

kairi_k
11-11-2009, 11:59 AM
It'll burn off, nothing to worry about, just check underneath if there is any leaks of oil puddles.

if you really want just wipe the headers and block down or degrease it and water it down.

u sure buddy, cos im a bit paranoid cos the longer we leave the motor on the stronger the smell is and the more smoke? ok will try degrease it

Tai
11-11-2009, 12:00 PM
u sure buddy, cos im a bit paranoid cos the longer we leave the motor on the stronger the smell is and the more smoke? ok will try degrease it

What did you exactly do on teh weekend?

You stated its coming off teh headers near the dipstick, only thing that I know of thats common is oil dripping onto the headers and it being burnt off as smoke, which happens often.

kairi_k
11-11-2009, 12:00 PM
all coolants and fluids are topped up, the temp needle is left of the C, and there are no leaks from the oil sump whatsoever

kairi_k
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM
What did you exactly do on teh weekend?

oil filter change and oil change. he said there was no issues when driving the past few days. i noticed it when we started her up. the engine bay was degreased but i dont think he hosed it down properly. could that be the issue. burning off of the degrease if he mistakingly sprayed the headers?

Tai
11-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah degreaser can form smoke as its being burnt off, you should hose it down.

Don't think anything is wrong with the car, just hose down the headers a bit.

kairi_k
11-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah degreaser can form smoke as its being burnt off, you should hose it down.

Don't think anything is wrong with the car, just hose down the headers a bit.

okay cheers bro thanks for the quick assistance, hopefully that solves the issue

Benson
11-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Nothing to worried. Just burning off any oil dropped on the header. If your water temp gauge is normal then there is nothing to worry

kairi_k
11-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Nothing to worried. Just burning off any oil dropped on the header. If your water temp gauge is normal then there is nothing to worry

just paranoid. all this smoke and burning smell coming from the headers

string
11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Just touching the headers with your hands will transfer skin oils which will smoke up when you start the engine. Any drips from checking the dip-stick will keep smoking until it's all gone. Nothing to worry about.

dougie_504
11-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Headers are supposed to heat up super fast.

How's your VTEC solenoid?

Mine has been weeping oil onto my headers for 9 months so my headers always smoke & smell like burnt oil when I drive (in my EF8).
It's not a problem really :)

V73C
11-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Headers are supposed to heat up super fast.

How's your VTEC solenoid?

Mine has been weeping oil onto my headers for 9 months so my headers always smoke & smell like burnt oil when I drive (in my EF8).
It's not a problem really :)

It will be when your oil level is low :P

kairi_k
12-11-2009, 12:11 AM
yeah problem fixed. we wiped down the suspected grease on the headers and let the motor run for a few minutes then took it for a drive and problem fixed. scary as hell though when the engine was in idle for a few mins. kept on smoking up pretty bad but the smoke finally reduced, now its running normal

cheers guys