PDA

View Full Version : Possible ECU Issues after Air Intake Install

Cozmo
11-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey guys,
Installed a Simota Big Tube air intake system and the weekend and it now seems kinda sluggish - nothing major just a little off. I have installed the airflow sensor back into the intake pipping which i assume would be correct. Is it possible that I need to reset the ECU so it expects more air flow or anything like that?

VTec1987
11-11-2009, 01:23 PM
yeh it will be a good idea to reset the ecu.

Take out ecu fuse for 30 sec
Put it back on and start the car ( let it idle for 5 min or so)
turn off then on then off u go

tiksie
11-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Remove terminals, pull out ECU fuse for a couple of seconds (10-15 seconds) start the car, let it idle until the thermo fans kick in twice, turn it off and your done.

Tai
11-11-2009, 01:58 PM
if its sluggish at bottom end its normal,

If its the J's racing whale penis replica the it will lag at bottom end as there is no direct air feed, itll suck in hot air,

I hope u removed the stock resonator and installed a direct pipe of some sort from the front of the car.

Another thing to help with it is install some kid of heat shield to block off heat from the headers.

Cozmo
12-11-2009, 12:40 PM
thanks for the info - will give it a hit tonight. Im not sure about the resonator, has anyone done this to any success? I have researched it a bit this morning and there seems to be a mixed bag of answers both for and against it. I mean its been put there for a reason, however so was the orignal air intake piping i just replaced. What can I expect by removing this?
I assume the idea would be to remove the resonator then install a flexible pipe from the air dam in the front bar and feed it back into the engine bay etc etc ????

WANKFACTR
12-11-2009, 01:17 PM
i had one of these intake kits on my cxi ek civic, i had the same problem as you are refering to.... and its normal as already been explained by Tai. i sorted out this problem by advancing the timing, (be careful not to advance it to much) i still didnt get the same bottem end response as the standard intake, but got it close enough to be able to drive the car and get it up to the power band quickly... i also started running 98ron all the time so that it wouldnt ping.... good luck and once you get all the kinks out you will enjoy the benefits of this intake...
i also reset the ecu after advancing the timing... letting it idle till the thermo fans come in and waited for them to cut out then help the motor at 3000rpm till the thermo come on again then while it was i just let the car idol till they cut off, then turned the car off then it was right to drive....

aaronng
12-11-2009, 05:24 PM
EK civic does not have an air flow sensor.......

Cozmo
13-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Okay to update - last night re-set ECU and yanked out the resonator. Seriously, not a big difference in sound increase, if anything it has made it a little deeper note. Got a filthy exhaust on there atm that still screams over the intake noise (I HATE IT).

But all in all the intake is okay, looks good, sounds good - thats about it.
Thanks for your help guys.