PDA

View Full Version : Jacking up rear onto jack stands

isami
12-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Im having problems jacking the rear of my 99 Civic up onto jackstands.

I got this image from the net somewhere and labeled:

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt265/isamiEM1/Forum/46900567oh.jpg

The honda factory service manual advises to use the tow hook [1], but my jack is to small to lift the car high enough from this position to place jack stands at the rear support points (which are infront of the rear wheels)

I've read on forums that it is safe to jack from between the control arms, but Im not sure exactly where.. :confused:

For those of you who have done it before, would this be at position [2] or position [3]?

simonnowis
12-11-2009, 12:56 PM
i normally use the tow hook at the back. make sure that ur car is on a flat surface, also check the height limit of the trolley jack, shoud be on the label

EK1.6LCIV
12-11-2009, 01:10 PM
put the jack on some wood/tiles or something to give more height if all else fails

but I would suggest buying a liftech jack

Bludger
12-11-2009, 01:14 PM
put the jack on some wood/tiles or something to give more height if all else fails

but I would suggest buying a liftech jackx2

put the jack on something.

EK1.6LCIV
12-11-2009, 01:20 PM
my jack can lift a good 500+mm off the ground, lifted a std s13 off the ground at the front and they're quite high in std form

beeza
12-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Yes,put it on bricks or something and use the rear tow hook.

Bludger
12-11-2009, 01:35 PM
my jack can lift a good 500+mm off the ground, lifted a std s13 off the ground at the front and they're quite high in std formyou're just the best.

beeza
12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
MY jack is only 90mm high and can easily lift 500mm :)

Chriskoss
12-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Is the OP talking bout his jack not able to jack high enough to raise wheels off ground or the fact that once he jacks it up, he doesn't know where to put the jack stands if he jacks it up by the tow hooks?

If its what im talking bout (not sure + dont mean to thread highjack).. I jack my car up by the tow hook, but then theres no room for me to put the jack stand in because the tow hook is being occupied by my jack, so is there another place we can jack up the car both F+R so we can then put the jack stand onto the tow hooks freely?

geeang
12-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Is the OP talking bout his jack not able to jack high enough to raise wheels off ground or the fact that once he jacks it up, he doesn't know where to put the jack stands if he jacks it up by the tow hooks?

If its what im talking bout (not sure + dont mean to thread highjack).. I jack my car up by the tow hook, but then theres no room for me to put the jack stand in because the tow hook is being occupied by my jack, so is there another place we can jack up the car both F+R so we can then put the jack stand onto the tow hooks freely?

Op's question has been answered, but you're meant to jack the car up at the rear using the tow hook, and then place the jack stands on the two side-rear jack points (as you can see in the picture).

isami
12-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks for suggestions guys..Ill give putting the jack on bricks/wood a try on the weekend.

That solves the problem.. But does anyone know if its safe to jack the car up at position [2] and [3]?

@Chriskross: My jack's maximum height is not high enough to be able to fit jack stands under the car using the centre tow hook.. so was looking for other lower points under the car which could be safely used.

Jackstands should go on rear support joints.. infront of the rear wheels.. should be same for most hondas:
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt265/isamiEM1/Forum/sidejackpoints.jpg

Chriskoss
12-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Are these rear support joints visible to the naked eye? Cant really see anything and dont want to place it in the wrong position which will bend the

p.s my cars an LS integra not a civic like in the pic

vampzzz
12-11-2009, 11:46 PM
its safe to jack from number 2 your rear subframe. i have done it heaps of times because i have a benen tow hook, i cbf taking it off so i jack it from the subframe.

isami
13-11-2009, 08:41 AM
its safe to jack from number 2 your rear subframe. i have done it heaps of times because i have a benen tow hook, i cbf taking it off so i jack it from the subframe.

Thanks man.. thats all i needed to know.

Are these rear support joints visible to the naked eye? Cant really see anything and dont want to place it in the wrong position which will bend the

p.s my cars an LS integra not a civic like in the pic

They should all look similar.. like this:
http://www.team-integra.net/images/BAEC1978-D3A7-4405-AB2D-2761DC15A96D/articles/morningz/jackpoints/03_jack_rear.jpg