PDA

View Full Version : Clutch/Flywheel or Gearbox problem?

wynode
23-11-2004, 07:34 AM
I've noticed recently that when I start off in first, as I let the clutch out, the car feels like its axle tramping (as in the dash vibrates and the front kind of bounces around a bit). After some driving though it seems to go away....once the clutch / engine has warmed up.

I'm doing the input shaft bearing this week, so just wondering whats causing this. Could the flywheel need resurfacing? Could it even be the thrust bearing?

IT has definitely got a lil worst over the last 1 - 2 weeks though, and its only in first as i'm taking off. I have to ride the clutch alot more than normal for it to not happen (but even that doesn't work sometimes when the car is cold).

Any ideas?

PS: Apart from that and the ISB, the gearbox feels fine.

imashy14u
23-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Is it a new clutch, if so, you're flywheel may not be mating properly with it and so needs to be machined.

If it' s an old clutch, then it may need replacing

Weq
23-11-2004, 10:29 AM
sounds like clutch shudder. get ur flywheel resurfaced (or i some 1 spare?)

wynode
23-11-2004, 12:40 PM
The clutch has around 40-45K on it. And it is not slipping.

Weq
23-11-2004, 04:56 PM
google clutch shudder and see what fix's ther are

ECU-MAN
23-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Wyn, since your gear box will be out, you can take to the flywheel, clutch pressure plate and friction plate with emery paper and take out the shine. if the flywheel is bad get it machined. :)

wynode
23-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Ohh.......I was hoping i wouldn't have to take out the clutch! damn :(

NightKids
26-08-2007, 03:20 AM
Sorry to bring an old thread up. My friend just installed a new Exedy Organic Clutch & Exedy lightened flywheel for me. I am getting the same problem with taking off and reversing, anyone know what could be the problem?

aaronng
26-08-2007, 03:42 AM
Exedy Organic's material and heavier plate bites harder than stock. If you wanted to retain the stock driving characteristics, Exedy HD is more suitable.

NightKids
26-08-2007, 03:43 AM
Whoops sorry mine is a Exedy HD not an organic. It actually feels like my stock clutch. I realise that you had the same problem in one of the other threads, how is it now?

aaronng
26-08-2007, 03:53 AM
Nah, I don't have this problem as I am still on my OEM clutch. :)

Did you check your engine mounts? A broken engine mount can cause strong shuddering when taking off from standstill.

NightKids
26-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Hmmm i don't think it'll have anything to do with my engine mounts because they were ok until my new clutch, flywheel was put in. Unless it was damaged thru installation

aaronng
26-08-2007, 08:26 AM
How many kms have you done on your new clutch? It also takes a few hundred kms of gentle driving to break it in.

NightKids
26-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Yeah it's only been put in yesterday so prob 10km so far, guess we'll wait & see

B18cEG
26-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Make sure to check to thrust bearing since that can cause major vibration, but also if the clutch is not bled properly it can make constant contact and never actually release from the thrust bearing. But either way get the flywheel resurfaced "its a must". the last thing is something that you really dont want, check that is is not a bearing inside the gearbox causing unwanted and dangerous shaft movement

NightKids
26-08-2007, 04:58 PM
To check all these things does that mean I we have to pull the clutch out again? That's gonna cost money...

And also my flywheel is a brand new one, does that still have to get resurfaced?

B18cEG
26-08-2007, 06:33 PM
To check all these things does that mean I we have to pull the clutch out again? That's gonna cost money...

And also my flywheel is a brand new one, does that still have to get resurfaced?

No you shouldn't have to but yes the gearbox must come off after you eliminate all other possibilities,

NightKids
26-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Yeah i just came back from driving the car. It still shudders like crazy, especially when reversing. Should i still continue to drive this for 500km & break it in or should i get it looked at now?

B18cEG
27-08-2007, 01:20 AM
Yeah i just came back from driving the car. It still shudders like crazy, especially when reversing. Should i still continue to drive this for 500km & break it in or should i get it looked at now?

sorry i must not have read that it was just installed, how many break-in km's have you put in so far?

NightKids
27-08-2007, 01:20 AM
About 20kms

jords
27-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Might just be the new clutch and your not used to the pedal and finding the friction point......has anyone else driven it to compare when and how it feels.

What clutch kit did you put in it?

EGB18CT
27-08-2007, 04:36 PM
im putting it down to the isb bearing and maybe the thrust bearing, ive got a spoon fly and exedy hd clutch and it does this sometimes too. My isb is screwed too and its gotten worse as the isb has stuffed (its very loud now and to the point i try not drive the car till its fixed) Its cos the isb could be worn so the input shaft can move around more along with the harder bite on the clutch causing more of a shudder. Ull prolly notice just on the point of it biting if you dont rev and do a half dump so to speak it will sound like the car wants to stall (or tries to). Anyway this is what ive noticed it getting worse as my isb got worse. I believe the isb can also cause the gears to misalign due to the shaft having more play than with a fresh good bearing.

EGB18CT
27-08-2007, 04:38 PM
also could be cv joints/wheel bearing or the clutch isnt balanced or aligned properly.

B18cEG
27-08-2007, 08:09 PM
About 20kms

20KM! so u only gone for short drives? you need to give it a bit of hard use, kick the clutch a few times while driving and just go for drives as usual, if you have the proper place to do a few mid rpm launches this may help too, BUT FIRST HADS THE THRUST BEARING BEEN REPLACED?

NightKids
27-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah i reckon EGB18CT could be right because the things he says is what i'm experiencing. Since your in Melb maybe we can meet up & you can tell me if that's the case cause at the moment only I've driven it & know what it's like. I haven't driven many kms on it yet but I'm not sure if I drive it 500km that this would go away, seems like a permanent thing.

NightKids
27-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Not too sure about thrust bearings, I pretty much just brought the clutch & flywheel to my friend & he chucked it in.

EGB18CT
27-08-2007, 09:20 PM
20KM! so u only gone for short drives? you need to give it a bit of hard use, kick the clutch a few times while driving and just go for drives as usual, if you have the proper place to do a few mid rpm launches this may help too, BUT FIRST HADS THE THRUST BEARING BEEN REPLACED?

not what u want to do to a clutch while running it in, you dont want burr marks on the fly/ possibly warping/cracking it and also dont want that to the new clutch plate.

Has the bearing been replaced? do you hear a whirring noise when the clutch pedal is not pressed in and then goes away when it is pressed in? if so its the isb if not try bleading the clutch again, should be very springy if its a sports organic clutch

NightKids
27-08-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm gonna have to ask my friend if the bearing has been replaced. As far as the whirring noise i do kinda hear it but it's not that noticable that can be heard clearly in while your inside the cabin i think

vincikwan
03-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Mine does the same thing too. i am in melb. the car shudders when at biting point. i m hopping that after the clutch breaks in, it will go away...dont want to take out everyhting again....damn expensvive.

U have an exedy hd clutch. just installed today

hayashi_1986
03-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Old thread, didn't realize there was one like this.

I have the same problem. It went away after re-surfacing the flywheel. Turns out, my old mechanics method of 're-surfacing' was to run an angle grinder over it. :(

Cheers, hope it helps.

vincikwan
03-04-2008, 01:27 AM
so i guess there is no other way but to take out the flywheel n resurface it...bloody expensive to take it out..cheap to resurface. LOL

ITEAZR
03-04-2008, 12:52 PM
wat if the flywheel is brand new?? and this shuddering happens?

Drew
03-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Old thread, didn't realize there was one like this.

I have the same problem. It went away after re-surfacing the flywheel. Turns out, my old mechanics method of 're-surfacing' was to run an angle grinder over it. :(

Cheers, hope it helps.

Angle grinders... sand paper... all perfectly good ways of resurfacing flywheels :thumbdwn:

It's like $15 to resurface one properly... why the **** would u skimp

hayashi_1986
03-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Angle grinders... sand paper... all perfectly good ways of resurfacing flywheels :thumbdwn:

It's like $15 to resurface one properly... why the **** would u skimp

Who knew. The problems when away after I had it properly machined.