PDA

View Full Version : Fog Lights - Help !!

poyta
14-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I bought some Fog lights for my 2007 Honda Civic off ebay. Seemed pretty simple to connect but Ive run into trouble with the wiring harness inside the car - the instructions become very vague around here so I have to guess.
I've mounted the lights and connected them to the single wire plug that I located near the water reservoir. Then I ground them and put the bumper back on. I'm now left with final harness ( image 01 ) -

Its obvious where the switch goes and also were the relay plugs in.

I was also given a 15A fuse to put in location 6 on the fuse box. No problems there but then I'm left with that 6 pin blue plug and that one pin brown plug.

Now it all looks pretty straight forward - I found a single pin brown plug just dangling there near the fire wall - I presume this running to the front of the car where I connected the lights earlier ( image 02 )

and then I just plugged in the 6 pin to the only location in the fuse box that it can possible connect to ( image 3 ) .

I then grounded the ground wire. Unfortunately they dont work!!!! What have I done wrong?

The 6 pin is getting a 12V signal when I switch the parkers on so I;m pretty sure I got that right and the switch lights ups no problems. It even seems to generate a 12V signal out of one of the leads running to the relay ( it turns off and on when I operate the switch ) but I'm not getting any power coming out of the relay down that single blue wire to that single pin connector. Should I be? Maybe the relay is stuffed?

Anyone got any ideas?

riruiz_88
14-11-2009, 05:40 PM
make sure it is grounded properly, it needs to be bare metal contact. if its in contact with paint, simply scrape away the paint. if that dosnt work, come back and ask away again.
also if you hear the relay clicking on and off, you have wired it correctly.

curtis265
14-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Try this DIY
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/lighting/126703-diy-sedan-ebay-k2-foglight-install-pics.html

aero
14-11-2009, 10:38 PM
this is probably the same shit that happened to myself and mark when we tried to DIY our foggies. if that link curtis put up doesnt help then check out this thread.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121696

markCivicVti
15-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Ok, the white wire is on the wrong pin. Basically splice the white wire onto the red... For some stupid reason that is the only pin I found that is powered.

It will work. I spent about 3 or 4 evenings screwing around trying to DIY my own foggies.

Off that one pin I am powering the fog light switch, the actual fog lights and my accent lighting kit... just change the accent lighting fuse (not # 6 - see the panel that has the diagram... its like on the second row from the bottom and the default fuse is 7.5A .. it will blow unless you change it.. when it does blow it'll be easy to find.) to something like 15/20amps.

Sorry for poorly structured sentences... I have work to do.

poyta
17-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Ok, the white wire is on the wrong pin. Basically splice the white wire onto the red... For some stupid reason that is the only pin I found that is powered.

Off that one pin I am powering the fog light switch, the actual fog lights and my accent lighting kit... just change the accent lighting fuse (not # 6 - see the panel that has the diagram... its like on the second row from the bottom and the default fuse is 7.5A .. it will blow unless you change it.. when it does blow it'll be easy to find.) to something like 15/20amps.

I'm confused. Are you taking about the white wire that's in the 6 pin plug or the white wire coming out of the relay? What do you mean splice the white onto the red? I presume you're talking about the 6 pin plug- so you're saying I should just join the red and white together? So essentially it becomes a single wire?

markCivicVti
17-11-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm confused. Are you taking about the white wire that's in the 6 pin plug or the white wire coming out of the relay? What do you mean splice the white onto the red? I presume you're talking about the 6 pin plug- so you're saying I should just join the red and white together? So essentially it becomes a single wire?

Yes, the white wire on the 6 pin plug (blue) should be joined to the red wire on the same plug forming a parallel circuit.

Basically, there's no power on the pin where the white wire is... only where the red wire is. Maybe if you put fuses in each slot that doesn't have a fuse you'll find out what other pins could get current through them.

poyta
22-11-2009, 08:11 AM
It worked!! You're right all I had to do was run a 12V signal down the white wire towards the relay and repllace the default Parkers fuse from 7.5A to 15A.

Thanks for all your help with this.

markCivicVti
23-11-2009, 12:06 PM
You're welcome... glad you got it working.

Yeah my 15 amp fuse hasn't blown yet... seems to be good.