PDA

View Full Version : B16 auto vs manual?

Saint Luke
14-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Im new to hondas but not cars and are looking around to pick one up. Ive seen a few b16a autos but are aware that they have a lower power output. From what i see they have a lower rev limit so im guessing this is the only real difference between them, or do they differ in any other way?

timoding
14-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Im new to hondas but not cars and are looking around to pick one up. Ive seen a few b16a autos but are aware that they have a lower power output. From what i see they have a lower rev limit so im guessing this is the only real difference between them, or do they differ in any other way?

Doesnt matter what engine you have, manual is always going to have more torque + faster outputs. Hence why manual is faster then auto, for obvious reasons.

Saint Luke
14-11-2009, 11:53 PM
i wasnt talking about speed, i was talking about the difference between the output of the engine. spec sheets read lower hp, and 500rpm lower. All im wondering if its just in the ecu - so in other words if i were to convert the auto to manual, the swapping of ecu's would fix this.

tRipitaka
15-11-2009, 08:50 AM
the auto b16a has milder cams

Mr_will
15-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Doesnt matter what engine you have, manual is always going to have more torque + faster outputs. Hence why manual is faster then auto, for obvious reasons.

um, often theyre the same engine.

what is a 'faster output'?

the main reasons that autos are slower than manuals are the extra weight of the transmission, additional drivetrain loss, and time taken to change gears compared to manual.

this is exactly why modern automatics such as volkswagens DSG are so good - theyre actually faster than their manual equivalent.

imratedpg
15-11-2009, 01:43 PM
i noe sum1 with an auto b18c pulling out 126kw with onli intake exhaust and vafcll, sorry to hijack thread

Mr_will
16-11-2009, 05:43 PM
i noe sum1 with an auto b18c pulling out 126kw with onli intake exhaust and vafcll, sorry to hijack thread

cool story bro

MWAKU
17-11-2009, 01:57 PM

see this information is wrong, should have a neg rep point. people on ozhonda telling stuff that really aint correct, and noobs reading it making people less educated..

the answer is what will said

and things like the protecter thing around the auto gearbox so that the heat from it doesn't completely escape into the engine bay make it heavier aswell

also 'timoding' the new GTR, its auto, it shifts faster then any human can. manual is not always better then auto.

From what i see they have a lower rev limit so im guessing this is the only real difference between them, or do they differ in any other way?

as will said, the auto gearboxes, for b16? are 4spd? so they rev higher before upping a gear, so the ratios are different, worse fuel mileage all that. its heavier, cant shift as quick, yada yada

cymax
17-11-2009, 03:24 PM
I thought the engine block and cams will be the same be it auto or manual? <-- I'm talking about JDM B16A
Shed me some light about this.