PDA

View Full Version : Interested in the S2000

Rock
14-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Hey guys,

A long time member here, we're looking at replacing our little Delsol with a convertible as we also sold off our Suzuki Cappuccino (which I'm beginning to regret now). In fact I think I like having a sporty convertible so wouldn't mind driving it myself first since I will also sell off my GTR.

Anyway, the (second-hand) cars that I've been looking at are the following :

1. MX-5, very affordable and reliable. I like the fact that this car is so cheap to own and run. People seem to drive it to death and it still performs like 10 years ago.

2. BMW 330CI E46, most expensive but still looks great, seats more people and has a little more space and better refinements. This is a bit more expensive than the other cars and has more kms but seems like a durable enough car to last for another 100,000kms.

3. S2000, I drive the Delsol every now and then and it's a fun car. I think the S2000 would be even better. Both are 2 seaters, open-top, sports cars. The boot in the Delsol is very generous, not sure about the S2000.

I never thought I would say this but I'm looking favourably at the S2000. The price these days are right, they seem to keep well, still looks great and the interior is a bonus.

However I need to compare with the other cars that I've listed above. Fuel efficiency is important as my mum will be driving the car first for work and stuff (its to replace the Suzuki Cap that we recently sold).

Practicality, well the Cap was tiny but still very usable, any of these cars will be better.

Initial cost, the MX-5 is a real bargain, and a good upgrade to the Cap but not sure if its too cheap for mum (lol). BMW is the most expensive but will appeal longer espeically to my folks. The added seats and space is a bonus. S2000 is in the middle, a much more expensive MX-5.

Running costs, Cap used 4-5 litres per 100kms and can zip to 100km/h in 8 seconds. I know the MX-5 is pretty much a bigger Cap and also cheap to run, the BMW is around 11-13l/100km, not sure about the S2000. Fuel economy will be a concern if it uses over 13 or 14 litres per 100kms.

Reliability, well I think these cars should be good.

We're hoping to keep this next car for a while, at least a few years so we're looking at a good car that'll last. I was thinking about getting an SUV actually (Audi or BMW) but the little Cap was contagious and made driving a pleasure than a chore.

I'm sure most of you guys have made comparison with other cars before looking or buying the S2000. I'd like your opinions of the cars that I've mentioned.

Your advice would be much appreciated thanks!

JAP-S2K
14-11-2009, 11:00 PM
IMO the 3 cars you've picked are all very different. The MX5 is nothing like an S2000, unless you drive both normally. The S2000 easily surpasses the MX5 in every aspect, even the turbo model. So the price tag is justifyable. However the S2000 isn't a car that is cheap to maintain or repair. Much like your GTR. Especially once they reach 100,000km.
If performance was the only aspect, well the answer is simple. If i was in your position, drive all three the way you intend them to be driven, and pick one.

Ferrari
15-11-2009, 08:09 AM
I upgraded from a Delsol into an S2000, so did my wife. It does everything in the delsol x 5 with exeception of storage space. Mx5 are really nice, but not in the same league as an S. My S2000 has been extremely cheap to maintain. As it gets older I expect to spend a bit more,however it is 10 years old already.

Rock
15-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Ferrari, what do you mean by spending a bit more? Is that the 100K services? Am I expecting to see tired S2000s out there with a loose chain here and there? I guess I'm expecting a lot considering how much people are trying to sell them for. $20K++ for cars with over 100,000Kms!

How is the storage space by the way? Its not so important as we've never put suitcases in either the Cap or Delsol either.

Ferrari
15-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Mine still has original clutch, and im lowered, so clutch and driveshafts will suffer wear and require replacement in the near future

I have modified/replaced alot on the car with upgrades. Wear and tear items are my only other expense. I service every 5000kms and the major services only cost $500 max.

On hondas things like clutch master cylinder, go after 100k kms generally.

tamay_s2k
16-11-2009, 07:23 PM
on daily drive. i do about 480kms a tank which is 50 ltrs in the s2000
which adds up to almost 10 ltr pre 100kms
i find it comfortable as a daily drive, boot space..pretty decent if you remove the 6 stacker which i have since upgrading to mp3 head unit
not hard to maintain. Just watch your oil
beautiful car =D and man is it a driving experience :P
my cars on 130k now. clutch master just got replaced aswell and fuel filter. on the 120k service..theres a bit of money involved...still gotta get valve adjustment but besides that..not that much more expensive to run and maintain then a normal car...my cousin has Holden VE commodore and i pay the same..if not less then hium since i got such nice fuel economy

Ferrari
17-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I still have no idea how you guys clock over 400kms on a tank, I average only 350 when the light comes on. I use mobil one 98 octane, it is alot of city driving though.

aero
17-11-2009, 03:17 PM
it is alot of city driving though.

that's most likely why..

tamay_s2k
18-11-2009, 03:17 PM
haha
i use Bp ultimate or Shell V-power and i get same kms
i do city driving aswell.
wen i use mobil or castrol i get max 400
weird :S?

pilotb777_300
20-11-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm in the same boat.... lookin at a 330CI convertable or an S2000. Split down the middle right now lol I know both cars r very different but both have their good and bad points. I think the S2k will be a lot more reliable than the 330ci though from what I've read. I havent owned either car so this is all info off the net which may not be 100% correct. I test drove both cars. The S2K is a lot of fun specially when the engine is sitting above 6K but how often can u do that on public roads wihtout losing ur license. the bemma is more refined has one of the best soudning inline 6 engines in it and has way more torque. Its a lot more dirvable on a daily basis and is a lot of fun with the top down and 4 ppl in the car. one of the big disadvantages for me and the S2k is the 2 seater thing. I think it would get very annoying eventually. The bemmer on the other hand suffer reliability problems and is very expensive to maintain hence why I'm split down the middle ! lol will have to make up my mind soon though as I need a car ASAP

ludecrs
20-11-2009, 02:36 PM
IMO, the 330ci might as well be 2 seater. Can't really fit much in the bakc apart from a dog and a blanket. LOL.

ncmx5
20-11-2009, 02:41 PM
the cost of bmw servicing is ridiculous... and then theres all the shit breaking down as well, since its an older car. parts are expensive. i don't know why people would buy 2nd hand old bmw's... just asking for trouble ~ and you don't hear much about these problems because half of these people are ashamed of letting people they were sucked into a prestige brand and having to deal with the car that costs $5k a year to maintain (esp the lower end models 318, 320 etc)... but on a positive note...330 has a sweet engine + looks the bomb.

markis
16-12-2009, 01:18 PM
im in a similar boat. im either looking at a S2000 ap1 20-30k, a daihatsu copen 10-15k or an mx5 7-20k

im after refinement, open top experience and fun and also reliability and economy. i drove a copen and its heaps of fun.

tamay_s2k
16-12-2009, 01:37 PM
s2000s have a issue of oil
many drivers top their oil up on a regular bases just like their fuel
ive herd of some drivers that dont have this issue. also in terms of giving the car "the beans" diffs can also be an issue. ive launched mine many times on a standard diff and it has yet 2 experience noticeable problem, whilst other drivers have launched once or twice and have blown the internals.
other then that i find my S very very reliable
i use it for work, daily driven and all
clocks over 500km a week
and for the looks you get for having a 20-30k car...nothign comes close
lets be honest. they still look really expensive =D
oh and the open top experience...its simply priceless. good cruiser, pretty dam fast for what it is. not FAST but fast enough to make you cream everytime you hit vtec

pilotb777_300
16-12-2009, 02:08 PM
s2000s have a issue of oil
many drivers top their oil up on a regular bases just like their fuel
ive herd of some drivers that dont have this issue. also in terms of giving the car "the beans" diffs can also be an issue. ive launched mine many times on a standard diff and it has yet 2 experience noticeable problem, whilst other drivers have launched once or twice and have blown the internals.
other then that i find my S very very reliable
i use it for work, daily driven and all
clocks over 500km a week
and for the looks you get for having a 20-30k car...nothign comes close
lets be honest. they still look really expensive =D
oh and the open top experience...its simply priceless. good cruiser, pretty dam fast for what it is. not FAST but fast enough to make you cream everytime you hit vtec

well ppl I ended up buying a 99 S2k with under 80K on the clock and have had it for about 4 weeks now with about 4 fills of the fuel tank. I have yet to notice any oil drop. Still at the H mark exactly where it was when I first bought it. Having said that though I do treat my car well... spends more time under 6K then over... So maybe if I was at 9K every time I drive it, it may have oil consumption issues but nothing too dramatic.
The gear box and diff though r a different story... its very noisy specially 1st and 2nd gear under heavy load. Honda reckon its all normal though due to the location of the gear box and the lack of sound insulation. Other than that the actualy gear shifts r butter smooth. I higly recommend the S over any of the other car posted about here specially the bemma. I woulda kicked myself had I gone for the 330ci. the seating position, gear box smoothness and engine noise alone make this a very unique car and in my opinion as close as your gonna get to a race car without the killer price tag. big thumbs up for honda ! :thumbsup:

tamay_s2k
16-12-2009, 02:12 PM
congrats man
its a dream isnt it =D
its no so much the oil drop
ive had my car checked and i got no oil spills or leaks in the engine so far
yea if u treat it kind, you should be fine.
just keep an eye on the oil
i top it up every 2-3 weeks just 2 b safe and put in a new batch of oil every 5000kms
what oil do you use?

pilotb777_300
16-12-2009, 02:26 PM
yeah I do check my oil every time I fill up my tank actually. I have just yet to see a drop in it after aprrox 4 tank fulls. As for the oils, I plan on taking it to honda every 5000KM for an oil change and to keep the log books up to date. I wana keep the car as stock as possible and little to no mods. I dont plan on ever racing it, it just more of a crusier to me so I dont see the harm in using just normal honda FEO engine oil that honda recommend for the car. I also belive that as long as decent oil is used and changed every 6 month or 5000km then its not so critical to use all full synthetic. is there any issue with just using stock honda oil ?

RedRover
16-12-2009, 09:13 PM
The standard Honda oil is fine. I've used it since new with no problems at all. After 100,000KM the engine oil is still clean when i change it.

vyets
16-12-2009, 09:18 PM
80k is major service time! :D

Congrats on the buy man

pilotb777_300
17-12-2009, 02:32 PM
80k is major service time! :D

Congrats on the buy man

Already did the 80K service. the car had about 76K on it and I came to an agreememt with the honda dealer to do the 80K service free of charge as part of the sale so I had it done early at 76K. They were working on the car for the better part of a full day to get the service done.

aowwllan
17-12-2009, 03:32 PM
IMO the 3 cars you've picked are all very different. The MX5 is nothing like an S2000, unless you drive both normally. The S2000 easily surpasses the MX5 in every aspect, even the turbo model. So the price tag is justifyable. However the S2000 isn't a car that is cheap to maintain or repair. Much like your GTR. Especially once they reach 100,000km.
If performance was the only aspect, well the answer is simple. If i was in your position, drive all three the way you intend them to be driven, and pick one.

Well said dude

pilotb777_300
18-12-2009, 08:44 AM
what is so expensive about this car to maintain ? Like I said I havent had my s2k for long but from what I can see so far its no different or more expensive to service than my old accord euro. its about 300 bucks for a minor serivce and approx 800 for a major. My old accord wasnt far off that. In reality the S2000 is a fairly simple car... no turbo no AWD systems not much in the way of complicated electriclas..Only things I can see costing a bucket load is the roof to repair, a clutch and the diff if it dies. The engine itself seems bullet proof (As long as you keep oil levels up) and so does the gear box if u treat it with some respect and try not to spend every minute at 9K. I wouldnt belive all hype about some of the reputation sports cars get for being expensive to maintain ( european cars aside ! ) My brother in law has an RX-7 series 8 and he was almost turned off from buying one cause of all the talk on the forums about how xpensive they are to maintain. Well he did end up buying one, spent the time to look for a good example and has had it for close to 1 year now with the only work done on it being oil changes every 5K. In my personal view If you look after your car and treat it well, it wont cost u an arm and a leg to keep on the road. However treat it like ur driving on a race track all day everyday and I think most cars will end up costing you a bucket load.
My 2 cents worth.

.::F[L]Y::.
18-12-2009, 09:03 AM
if you service the car yourself it isnt expensive at all...

Thats the good thing about Hondas, cheap to run! Furthermore, seeing as there are more S2000's on the road now there is more aftermarket support available unlike 3 years ago when I bought my first s2000.

JAP-S2K
18-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Wait till something breaks or you need to replace OEM parts. Not cheap in any way.

rokkuchan
18-12-2009, 10:07 AM
It's expensive from impulse buying of aftermarket parts... most parts are expensive for s2k...

Ferrari
18-12-2009, 03:10 PM
It gets expensive when you track or abuse the car, my S2000 is at 90k kms and on the original clutch with zero slip, only every had tyre changes and oil changes. It is mechanically perfect. Would have been on original pads too except for switching to endless ones.

Whereas my 2000 Type R with similar kms, went through 4 clutches in its total lifetime (one with me), radiators, pads, rotors, tyres, etc etc due to heavy track use.

Minor service is $110 bucks at Top One (every 5k for me), and majors only around $400-500 (40k intervals) That is cheap as chips to ensure your cars looks after you.

vyets
18-12-2009, 04:59 PM
all 3 of my mates that have had a rx7 have had their motors rebuilt lol and unfortunately by them as well.. One guy rebuilt then sold it. Other 2 still have it.
Funny thing is one of them had the car for about 4 years now, never had a problem until now and he daily's it and dosent take care of it as much as the other guy. Other guy has had problems since day one and still has problems lol and he fully takes care of it and it's his weekend car. It's just about luck I guess and how you take care of it.
Good thing about that is once they have been they are pretty much bullet proof.

If you keep the s2000 stock and everything then it will be just like any other car. If you really want to pamper it with parts and everything that's where it gets expensive. A Service is the same because it's the same process with every car. But you'll find out how expensive it is when you need to replace something. Also insurance is more expensive too hehe :)

eriktufa
18-12-2009, 10:39 PM
I do mixed highway and city driving and get 400 km per 40 litres

F20C
19-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Just buy an s2k lol.

vyets
19-12-2009, 05:04 PM
he already did -_-

F20C
19-12-2009, 05:05 PM
well vyets i didnt get through the 2nd page LOL so yay he got one!