PDA

View Full Version : Weird burnt fuel smell

slow_poke
14-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Ok guys well when i get the revs really high and speeding [basically thrashing] my car gives a smell which sounds like oil burning, does anyone know how i can prevent that when i'm doing this?
ps: i have a eg civic gli 95'

Also anyone know what type of eg this is? i'm assuming its a eg5.

Thanks

ccmengs
14-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Hey it's probably your head gasket, leaking oil into the combustion chambers and burning the oil along with the fuel, most likely shooting out black smoke as well. well for now you should stop over revving and get it checked out, might need new head gasket or engine rebuild i think lol

slow_poke
14-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Hey it's probably your head gasket, leaking oil into the combustion chambers and burning the oil along with the fuel, most likely shooting out black smoke as well. well for now you should stop over revving and get it checked out, might need new head gasket or engine rebuild i think lol

Nah now that i think bout it i may still have some oil on my engine cos we just replaced the gasket because it was leaking 2weeks ago, also my mechanic mate told me that many cars have this smell and no black smoke shooting out.
It's not as bad as you may think just wondering how i can stop it.

vinnY
15-11-2009, 12:13 AM
so whats burning exactly
engine oil or fuel/petrol?

dougie_504
15-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Hitting VTEC a lot will always burn a little bit of oil and smell a little. Nothing to worry about. Also watch for some white smoke which is common as well if you're thrashing a lot.

White smoke is alright.

Black smoke is fine, just means you're running rich in the AFR.

Blue smoke is bad news, means lots of burning oil due to either rooted head gasket or piston rings.

aaronng
15-11-2009, 12:53 AM

No, that is not the reason.

The car has a PCV system, which releases crank vapour back into the intake manifold. The vapour is usually oil vapour. At high RPM and large throttle, the combustion gas can get pass the rings, especially in an older engine and build up pressure in the crankcase. The pressure is relieved by the PCV system which allows the gases and oil vapour back into the intake manifold where it is burnt. That's probably causing the burning oil smell IF the smell is coming from the exhaust.

aaronng
15-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Hitting VTEC a lot will always burn a little bit of oil and smell a little. Nothing to worry about. Also watch for some white smoke which is common as well if you're thrashing a lot.

His car is a GLi

dougie_504
15-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Ah true, skim-read OP. Thanks!

chowdaa
15-11-2009, 08:29 AM
your car is a eg8 i think with a d15b7 nonvtec:) have you or your mechanic cleaned the oil stains after the repair? you dont have any painted exhaust bits or nothing silly? the oil you are using too thin? checked your rocker cover gasket or sump gasket for more leaks on your exhaust?

WATAJK
15-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Thrashing a GLI :|
jeezzz.... I'd be carful with that, wen i was reading thought ur car was VTEC but then i saw GLI and went oh dear..
There not really designed to pushed like nuts...
Older car aswell so things would tend to give abit of way

tiksie
15-11-2009, 10:49 AM
I pushed my GLi like there was no tommorow lol, they're not as bad as people make them out to be!

SHOGUNOVDDRK
15-11-2009, 10:51 AM
I pushed my GLi like there was no tommorow lol, they're not as bad as people make them out to be!
damn straight brother

V73C
15-11-2009, 12:26 PM

White smoke is alright.

Black smoke is fine, just means you're running rich in the AFR.

Blue smoke is bad news, means lots of burning oil due to either rooted head gasket or piston rings.

No car should be burning oil. Its not a two stroke engine. So many noobs have mentioned this before. If your car is burning oil then get it checked out. Vtec has nothing to do with chewing oil, unless you've got a leaking seal.

Lukey
15-11-2009, 12:42 PM
why you say non-vtec engines not meant to be driven hard? i cane my dc4 all the time

slow_poke
15-11-2009, 05:43 PM
My gli actually goes pretty hard, and iv'e talken to alot of people and they have told me this happens in a lot of cars, i think thats true now because alot of cars that get thrashed infront of me leave a slight burn of oil smell. Just wondering how i can prevent that with any mods?

WATAJK
15-11-2009, 07:31 PM
If theres blue smoke coming from the exhaust i'd definately get that checked asap lol

beeza
15-11-2009, 08:03 PM
No, that is not the reason.

The car has a PCV system, which releases crank vapour back into the intake manifold. The vapour is usually oil vapour. At high RPM and large throttle, the combustion gas can get pass the rings, especially in an older engine and build up pressure in the crankcase. The pressure is relieved by the PCV system which allows the gases and oil vapour back into the intake manifold where it is burnt. That's probably causing the burning oil smell IF the smell is coming from the exhaust.

All can be avoided by installing an oil catch can.

why you say non-vtec engines not meant to be driven hard? i cane my dc4 all the time

Oh,Yeah :thumbsup: :honda:

My gli actually goes pretty hard, and iv'e talken to alot of people and they have told me this happens in a lot of cars, i think thats true now because alot of cars that get thrashed infront of me leave a slight burn of oil smell. Just wondering how i can prevent that with any mods?

The trick is to have your engine running at 100%.Get on top of it!

There's much to learn!

Here's a start:

- Upper engine clean your engine (foam stuff in a can).The Suburu UEC is the best
- Collaborate voltage on tps sensor on the throttle body - Link! (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2476685#post2476685)
- Clean/replace spark plugs and set gap correctly
- Check resistance in your leads is fine
- Clean contact points in the dizzy and lightly sand the rotor on the outer edge where it sparks on the contact points
- Adjust tappets - VERY IMPORTANT! - Link! (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15443&highlight=adjust+tappets)
- Clean air filter OR replace with pod filter and good cold air piping/Cold air intake.The point is COLD AIR/air from outside the engine bay (Make sure you re-connect the IAT sensor on the new intake arm)
- Get a wheel/camber/toe alignment and check your tyre pressure is correct once a week
- Change the oil and oil filter (every 5000km's)
- Change the fuel filter every 2nd oil change
- Transmission oil is every 20,000km's
- Charge your battery to full
- Expell air in coolant system through the radiator
- Check for engine codes and get familiar with how to do it!
- And get used to doing regular checks of everything in the engine bay,I have found many problems like this! - Like bolts I forgot to do up!
- And check for air leaks everywhere,all the clamps on the intake,all the gaskets on the engine and all the gaskets on the exhaust system! Important! No use having the whole thing running 100% if it's just gonna lose it somewhere.
- Make your car as light as possible!
- Use BP Ultimate 98 fuel only (1/2 a tank max at a time if your keen)
- Just a small amount of windshield water too!
_ Also for $40 an injector (well worth it) you can get the spray pattern and flow rate adjusted correctly
- Check ya timing is set correctly - Link! (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120425&highlight=adjust+ignition+timing)
- Insulate your fuel lines - prevent the fuel from getting warm/hot

Do all that and your car will feel much better,then see if your satified,if not,another engine/car is in order

chowdaa
15-11-2009, 10:09 PM
damn yo, nice revamp instructions lol basically stop thrashing your car, trying to figure what is is yourself as you might be further damaging whatever is the fault, PAY a mechanic to inspect it properly and get his/her diagnosis.

beeza
15-11-2009, 11:16 PM
No no no no no :)

DO EVERYTHING,learn EVERYTHING,get ya car running 100%,never have to spend a dollar on somebody's labour and have fun doing it! Then you can thrash ya car ALWAYS and it LOVES IT :)

All the hard work is done anyways,in the DIY's,it's all there ready to do!