PDA

View Full Version : Clunky sounds?

alcheMist
15-11-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm not sure if this applies to all cars or just the Mazda 3, but I've started to hear a clunky sound from the 3, even at idle it's just weird. Is there anything I could check before giving up and sending it to a proper mechanic?

Should mention it's practically brand new. 08 Model, and it's done 19,xxx kms. Getting it's 20k service soon too.

beeza
15-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Does it only happen at a certain RPM?

If so could be the belt tensioner.

blakee
15-11-2009, 07:56 PM
yea i have the same thing in my integra...it seems to stop after the engine warms up abit?? is that like you aswell??

alcheMist
18-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Even at idle I hear clunky noises, it could be my imagination. It idles at about 900 RPM...

beeza
18-11-2009, 07:24 PM
is it like this:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97120

Here's the precedure to fix this problem,Thank U John! (Ecu-man)

Hi Dude

this is Honda's solution

1. Connect the PGM tester to the vehicle

2. Start the Engine and allow it to reach operating temperature ( Radiator Fans should come on twice )

3. Remove the upper timing belt cover

4. monitor the engine temperature. When the temp decreases to 58degC, rotate the crankshaft five or six turns counter clockwise.

5. Set No. 1 piston at TDC

6.When the engine temp decreaces to 55degC, loosen the timming belt adjusting bolt 180deg. Allow the tention of the timing belt to automaticlly reset the tentioner position.

7. Tighten the adjusting bolt.

8. After adjustment, retorque the crankshaft pulley bolt to 181 Nm

9. On compleating the procedure, start then engine and allow it to reach operating temperature. Confirm the noise has been eliminated. Should the noise still be exhibited the above procedure in its entirety is required to be repeated.

I will assume you wont have access to the PGM tester or a HDS, so you can monitor the ECT voltage to determine the engine Temp

the below is from temp v voltage when looking at the HDS.

ECT voltage at 58 deg 1.44v

ECT Voltage at 55 deg 1.55v

ECT is Engine Coolant Temp

and HDS is Honda Diagnostic System.

alcheMist
19-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Ok, I think i may have been over dramatic, it's not that bad, I'll post up a video of how it sounds later tonight.

Terrano08
19-11-2009, 04:13 PM
man i have a dc2 and i think 90% of dc2 owners on here if not all will agree that they have had some kind of rattle, squeek or clunk.. so in answer to ur statment no its not only your car...

as for a solution, ive heard almost all of them and i still get the odd squeek and rattle

Zilli
19-11-2009, 08:45 PM
take it to your dealer mate... not many people here are going to be able to help you, plus thats what your new car warranty is for!!!

btw, great cars those 3's!